U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:45 PM

28,409 posts, read 18,209,437 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering who else here heats with a wood stove? I've got a Hearthstone Mansfield that I am really happy with. Heats 2100 SF without a problem, and we've gotten by the last 3 winters on about 3 cords (each). I'm burning primarily red fir (with some tamerack, pine and birch) from my property. It's nice to be warm and not have to worry about electric or gas prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Heat-mansfield.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 05:09 PM

477 posts, read 590,836 times
I burn wood in my fireplace, I wouldn't call it heating. My mom, 3 uncles and 3 or 4 cousins all heat with wood. They have Hardy outdoor furnaces. They seem to be popular in my area.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:48 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,209,099 times
We use a modified earth stove for our primary heat in our home. We also have electric forced air furnace that is set on 55. Our home is just over 1800 sf. Located in north central Nebraska I am not sure on number of cords we use per year, I would estimate 5-6 cords. We use ash, oak, & some mulberry. I cut the wood along a near by river from dead growth.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:30 PM

389 posts, read 472,732 times
That is one nice looking stove!!!!
I heat a 2100ft home with a cheaper stove about the same size.The house is made with stresskin panels so its super insulated.I burn about 3 to 4 cord/yr. and use about 300 gal of propane to cook and heat water and keep the floor warm with radiant heat.Its been a long cold winter and I can't wait to see the lawn.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:48 PM

14,719 posts, read 45,824,484 times
We heat with wood, mostly fruit wood prunings (apple, cherry, peach, etc.) burning them in a 1991 vintage Waterford "Erin" stove (no longer imported, but you can get as good or better from Quadrafire, etc.). When we had a couple of weeks in the teens and single digits (rare here) it seemed to be only marginally sane, but most of the time it works well.

I like heating with a wood stove. If you buy the wood in bulk lengths during the off season, it can be quite cheap.

A tip. For branches up to about 3.5" diameter, you can cut to length with a 7.5" circular saw, works well, no mixing gas etc. that you would have with a chainsaw. I have and use a chainsaw of course, but can reserve it for the bigger wood. The circular ("skil") saw is ready to use immediately when plugged in.

Tip on the tip: a good woodshed with electrical power is a wise investment. The simple 60W lightbulb on an ordinary switch is really nice when picking up firewood after dark, which is a lot of the time here in the winter. Same system provides ordinary 15A outlets for running the skil saw, could run an electric wood splitter if desired.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:31 AM

31,146 posts, read 50,314,105 times
We heat with a wood stove.

It also heats water which runs through our radiant floor loop.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 PM

858 posts, read 1,895,818 times
We heat our Kentucky rental house with a somewhat smaller Berkshire freestanding stove. Feed it enough wood and it will run you out of the place even when the temp is in the teens. No backup heat in the place. It's my first experience with wood heat and I like it. We've got a fireplace insert in the other house there we bought in December, but I'm thinking about ditching it for a freestanding stove and tearing out the fireplace. We have backup heat in that house (electric baseboard), and the fireplace takes up a lot of space that we can use to add another bath.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:38 PM

28,409 posts, read 18,209,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

A tip. For branches up to about 3.5" diameter, you can cut to length with a 7.5" circular saw, works well, no mixing gas etc. that you would have with a chainsaw. I have and use a chainsaw of course, but can reserve it for the bigger wood. The circular ("skil") saw is ready to use immediately when plugged in.

Tip on the tip: a good woodshed with electrical power is a wise investment. The simple 60W lightbulb on an ordinary switch is really nice when picking up firewood after dark, which is a lot of the time here in the winter. Same system provides ordinary 15A outlets for running the skil saw, could run an electric wood splitter if desired.

I've been thinking about picking up one of the cheap Harbor Freight miter saws (chop saws) for small stuff. Seems like it would be a good way to turn small limbs into kindling, without the challanges of hanging on to a chainsaw and securing the wood at the same time.

I agree with you with regards to lights in the wood shed...and the front end loader on the tractor makes short work of getting wood up to the deck. The tractor was a new addition for me this year, much nicer than a wheelbarrow.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:53 PM

37,143 posts, read 43,064,244 times
I grew up with wood heat, and my parents still heat with wood. Not a wood-burning stove, but a modern furnace that burns wood. My dad's a contractor, and does a lot of work in wooded areas. He's been known to knock some money off people's final bills if they have any wood on the property that he can haul off. They also have a supplemental LP-fuelled furnace for backup, if they get stuck without wood.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:11 PM

668 posts, read 1,927,850 times
I thought about using a 'furnace add on' wood burner, since the business next to me has lots of pallets that they have to get rid of, and someone else takes them and burns them up all winter long, (plus they have bins full of cardboard boxes that would burn wonderfully), but, the Wife said that a wood burner is messy, (she grew up with a pot bellied stove for heat only and said it was always freezing in the mornings and you had to 'run' to the stove once it was lit to warm up LOL), well, I was only hoping to get to use it as an alternative method of heating anyways, but the Wife says its messy and doesnt want one in the house...so, I am forced to bow down to the gas company..sheesh!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living