U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 AM

4,123 posts, read 5,438,524 times

Advertisements

This thread went to heck on a hand cart. Original Poster: what are you hiding? No trespassing??? Only during hunting season would it really matter. Too much paranoia here. Dogs are a must, as they will always alert you to anyone near by. I'll side with you in regards to having a gun to protect you and yours. Do I want you for a neighbor? Lighten up first.

Out here in rural Minnesota there are plenty of properties that are fenced off and have signs posted. That is about as much as it'll take to keep unwanted folks off the land. 50 acres isn't a whole lot to fence off, so I'd go in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,734 times
slamont - the OP is a single female alone in the woods. As a female who has been victim to violent assault/home invasion and sexual assault, I can totally see why she's cautious about her safety. I don't think it's paranoia to realize there is a risk and trying to be prepared for it.

I think it's odd that people automatically assume that someone who posts "No Trespassing" signs is hiding something or doing something wrong. Perhaps we just like our solitude and privacy, which is why we buy a larger chunk of land away from other people. Is that concept so difficult to understand?

Old 03-20-2009, 02:11 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,166,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
slamont - the OP is a single female alone in the woods. As a female who has been victim to violent assault/home invasion and sexual assault, I can totally see why she's cautious about her safety. I don't think it's paranoia to realize there is a risk and trying to be prepared for it.

I think it's odd that people automatically assume that someone who posts "No Trespassing" signs is hiding something or doing something wrong. Perhaps we just like our solitude and privacy, which is why we buy a larger chunk of land away from other people. Is that concept so difficult to understand?
Exactly.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:49 PM

20,487 posts, read 38,404,041 times
Quote:

Admirably stated.

All too often, it's the people who think they are entitled to the use of the property of othersthat don't get this concept.

Also, in this litigious age, the landowner can find themselves sued if someone trespasses on their land and is injured thereon. Whether or not the lawsuit prevails, they are out the time and money and angst to defend against it.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:23 PM

1,688 posts, read 7,047,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
No trespassing??? Only during hunting season would it really matter..
Not where I'm sitting. No way. Let us assume that this attitude varies from state to state, shall we?

Where I am no one trespasses lightly. They do it, but they run a very significant risk, and usually it's because they're hunting illegally anyway, so the "trespass" part is only a side-issue to the overall illegality of their actions.

To the OP: as a female who lives smack dab in the middle of nowhere on her own for 90% of the time, I would like to think I can understand where you're coming from. My closest neighbor is about a mile away in one direction, in any other direction, far further.

Fencing need not restrict the movement of wildlife. A simple 3 strand of slick-wire or similar to 3 ft or so in height is going to be, a most, a minor irritation. Smaller critters go under, bigger ones jump over. Depending on where this land is will have some bearing on the fenceposts required - which is where the real money of the equation goes. Still, I for one, would advise it. It's clear then: "inside this fence is mine, it's private property, go away". I personally don't like barbed wire - animals do cut themselves on it (tetanus and all that) and if your aim is just a visual demarcation for the benefit of humans, slick-wire is more "animal friendly".

The only other thing I'd like to add is about dogs. I fully understand why it has been suggested that you look into a dog that's been trained in personal protection but unless you are already very dog-savvy and/or unless you are willing to put in a lot of time to train yourself and do a considerable amount of homework, it could be a very difficult undertaking. I am more that happy to go into the why and wherefores as well as suggested reading should you be considering it, but I'll leave it at that for now. This is not to say I wouldn't recommend you get a dog - quite the opposite. I'd actually recommend you get two. They're great undemanding, understanding, and loving company as well as being the best "advance warning" system out there.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,734 times
Here is a good estimator for the costs of erecting one mile of different types of fencing. A 1-mile fence of three 1-strand slick wires (high-tensile, non-electric) as mentioned above would run you between $2250 & $2500 depending on what type of posts you get and how much of the work you do yourself. (for comparison, I own 80 acres which is rectangular and equals 1/2 x 1/4 quarter miles, so I would need 1.5 miles of fence to enclose my perimeter)

Old 03-21-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
H fence of three 1-strand slick wires (high-tensile, non-electric) as mentioned above
Yes, that is exactly what I meant, thanks.

The front pages of a Tractor Supply Co. catalogue also have good fencing guides, cost estimators and diagrams for things like how to re-enforce corners, etc.

What sort of climate is it? (Apologies if I missed that, but I did look but couldn't find it.) Metal fence posts (t-posts) are long-lasting, no maintenance, and cost effective. They just aren't considered very visually appealing I guess. You would have to re-enforce corners, but other than that, very straight-forward. It's just going to come down to the soil and if you can put them in by hand... and your arms will ache in places you didn't even know you had.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:51 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,962,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
To my knowledge on the East Coast, and the West coast of USA, they shave a section of each tree's bark and paint it orange. As you stand on the property line, and look through the forest, trees that are to the right of the line will have a shaved mark on their left. Trees on the left of the line will have a shaved mark on their right. And trees that sit on the line will be marked dead center.

Then at each Corner, their will be a permanent marker. Not a tree. That marker could be:
a. a 4 inch by 4 inch post 3 foot tall in the ground painted red,
b. a steel spike driven in the ground with a flat head engraved with details of the property,
c. a large 'X' carved into a bolder.

Each of these would be marking the exact spot of the corner.

I have seen survey markers of each type.

If it has been surveyed in the past 100 years, it should already have each corner marked.

And if it was surveyed within the past 50 years the lines should be marked.

Anyone moving a mark is violating law.

If there is any doubt about your property lines; either the seller or the realtor should offer to walk the lines with you. I have walked lines with realtors before. It is not uncommon.

Rarely stateside will you find a property that 'needs' to be re-surveyed.

With the deed in hand. I have paced out lines before, to find over-grown surveyor markers [on previous properties that I have owned]. It is not difficult. Once you find the first marker, the rest are much easier.

Also around here the Grange is active as a social group. The Masonic lodge, Elks, and K of C are all nice fraternities.

When I moved here I attended the local lodge meetings, the VFW, the American Legion, and I joined the local Farmer's Market as a vendor, and quickly I got to know a lot of the locals.

I was "Grange Master" for 5 years in SoCalif. (Grange #549) I'd sure like to find a grange here in SW Oklahoma

Old 03-21-2009, 07:52 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
If you don't have livestock, no reason for a fence

Follow the laws of the state you are in regarding posting NO TRESSPASSING signs and that is sufficent.

Many posters are making it a much more complicated and expensive procedure than what it is.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
If you don't have livestock, no reason for a fence
Unless the individual, for whatever personal reason he or she may have, feels better having a fence.

There does not need to be a reason, or indeed any reason, for a fence other than personal preference.

To attempt to argue as a point of fact that in the absence of livestock there is no reason to fence off one's property, is to attempt to argue something that cannot be proved or validated one way or another. It is an opinion - obviously, your opinion - nothing more, nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living