U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:52 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,162,929 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about buying a tiny house with 50+ acres in the middle of nowhere. Other than getting a gun and some dogs, I'm not sure how else to prepare. I grew up in a rural area outside the US and to tell the truth, I'm planning to be extra cautious because I think a lot of Americans have guns. So pls don't take offense to that since I am a woman and I value my safety. I have some questions, though:

1. How do I demarcate the property line? Should I get a survey and then post no trespassing signs? In my country if you trespass on someone's property and they don't know you, the owner will set their dog on you or run after you with a sharp object in an attempt to... well, kill you.

2. If I don't have a mortgage, can I live on $1000 a month?

3. How do I greet people after I buy the house? Do I have to start attending church? I don't feel comfortable going up to stranger's houses to say "Hi!" Should I send cards or call and say hey my name is whatever, I just bought the house down the road?

Obviously I want fresh air and p&q. I also want to hike and swim naked and dry my clothes outside and generally do whatever I want without having close neighbors to judge or harass me. Nevertheless, I don't hunt, and I don't relish the thought of any hunters "accidentally" happening on my land. How do I handle that stuff?

In the area I'm considering, there are few crimes, but most of the crimes seem to be burglaries done by scary-looking dudes. With my luck they will probably pick my hut to burglarize. How can I protect myself against that type of stuff without being overly paranoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 11:51 AM

19,556 posts, read 19,538,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

1. How do I demarcate the property line? Should I get a survey and then post no trespassing signs? In my country if you trespass on someone's property and they don't know you, the owner will set their dog on you or run after you with a sharp object in an attempt to... well, kill you.
A survey is a good idea.Fencing is the easiest way to mark your property and it also would allow you to have some sort of livestock.Trespassing signs will tell people they are not welcome without invitation,of course some people seem unable to comprehend this...

Quote:
Yes,as long as property taxes are low as well as your expenses.We could easily live on that for the two of us IF we had no mortgage or C/C debt.

Quote:
3. How do I greet people after I buy the house? Do I have to start attending church? I don't feel comfortable going up to stranger's houses to say "Hi!" Should I send cards or call and say hey my name is whatever, I just bought the house down the road?
Just let it happen.

Quote:
Obviously I want fresh air and p&q. I also want to hike and swim naked and dry my clothes outside and generally do whatever I want without having close neighbors to judge or harass me. Nevertheless, I don't hunt, and I don't relish the thought of any hunters "accidentally" happening on my land. How do I handle that stuff?
The no trespassing signs and calling law enforcement if someone DOES trespass.

Quote:
In the area I'm considering, there are few crimes, but most of the crimes seem to be burglaries done by scary-looking dudes. With my luck they will probably pick my hut to burglarize. How can I protect myself against that type of stuff without being overly paranoid?
The gun you mentioned as well as the dogs should help...but in the end it is luck of the draw if you are robbed.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:38 PM

31,141 posts, read 50,298,797 times
Quote:
I am thinking about buying a tiny house with 50+ acres in the middle of nowhere. Other than getting a gun and some dogs, I'm not sure how else to prepare. I grew up in a rural area outside the US and to tell the truth, I'm planning to be extra cautious because I think a lot of Americans have guns. So pls don't take offense to that since I am a woman and I value my safety. I have some questions, though:

My land has markers along it's property lines. So crossing the line is obvious.

Having dogs is smart. Usually a 'strange' person will upset the dogs, so your fine.

$1000 a month is more than enough to live on and to support a family, if you are in a low cost area.

Meeting people is done at church, at clubs, at the library. Also during your first year maybe half of your neighbors will come by to visit you. After that you can feel free to go by each of their homes to share veggies from your garden.

Since you don't hunt and you don't want hunters on your land, you will need to hang a few signs. They are available to any hardware store.

As for burglars, I have no idea. Attend a self-defense class. Local police offer them, go to any local gun store and ask.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:48 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,876,688 times
Quote:

If you do not hunt and do not want people hunting on your land, that is fine. Sometimes after being shot animals will cross lines. If you neighbors ask to get one, let them. If not, they will hate you, and worse.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:48 PM

357 posts, read 890,579 times
when you buy the property, you will need to have it survey anyway, other wise how would you know it is 50 acres. You can ask the seller to pay for the survey, it will very expensive and have the surveyor tied ribbon on the trees along property line so you know where it is.
Living in the middle of nowhere,It is nice to have guns to keep the animals out, bears, moose, deers and mountain lions,etc.

Quote:

Old 03-14-2009, 05:51 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,048,841 times
And where is "my country"?

Old 03-14-2009, 06:39 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
I'm sure if you ------"swim naked"----you'll be the most talked about person in the county.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:48 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,162,929 times
Thanks for the good advice! The library sounds like a nice alternative to church. I'm religious, but I'm not really a church lady. I also like the idea of having the surveyor tie strings around the trees to mark the property line as well.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
when you buy the property, you will need to have it survey anyway, other wise how would you know it is 50 acres
???

I have owned properties before, and I have never gotten a survey.

Do not buy an un-surveyed piece of land, ever!

My land now was surveyed in the 70's. The markers are still in place. When I was shopping for land, I walked the property lines.

Surveys are expensive!

I see no reason to buy un-surveyed land, that would be very risky.

But once surveyed, Why do it again? That is a waste of money.

Quote:
... You can ask the seller to pay for the survey, it will very expensive and have the surveyor tied ribbon on the trees along property line so you know where it is.
And standard survey markers are not good enough?

Quote:
... Living in the middle of nowhere,It is nice to have guns to keep the animals out, bears, moose, deers and mountain lions,etc.
I disagree.

I have a few guns, yes.

But to keep away animals? Again Why?

Is a deer or moose doing something bad? I put up an electric fence around our garden, so why do you need a gun to chase away animals?

Bears and lions? give me a break.

Stomp your feet, or sing a song, as soon as wild life hear you, they run away.

No need for a firearm to chase them away.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I'm sure if you ------"swim naked"----you'll be the most talked about person in the county.
LOL

I guess that everyone in my township must be heavily 'talked about' then.

If your a 1/2 mile from the road, in dense forest, and homes are a mile apart, and you own our own section of river frontage, and you swim nekkid.

Who cares?

I have neighbors who garden nekkid. I only know about it as they have admitted to such behavior. I have never seen them, we live too far apart from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living