U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 01:38 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,074,468 times

Advertisements

All I'm saying is that those vent-less fireplaces do produce CO as well as CO2 and although CO is more dangerous than CO2 you can still become poisoned by having too much CO2 as well as CO content in your blood. I would never use a vent-less fireplace without a window open a bit. The instructions for those things tell you what size room they can be used in and for how long to leave one burning because of the possibility of the those gasses building up to a hazardous level.

Hypercapnia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 05:48 PM

739 posts, read 864,134 times
For the money, you can't beat a DVD fireplace. If you get too hot, you can replace it with the aquarium. Then if you like.... you can slap in the toxic-Gas DVD! ...you have real options!

Old 10-02-2009, 07:26 PM

542 posts, read 1,379,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Actually you ARE mistaken. The ventless fireplaces are designed so you do NOT have to open a window or door while in operation.
I have read operating directions for ventless fireplaces and they ALL say that you should open a window when using their product. Ventless fireplaces produce carbon monoxide, nitrous oxide, and one gallon of water vapor for every 100,000 BTU's of heat produced.

Mike

Old 10-02-2009, 08:31 PM

40,220 posts, read 41,815,454 times
I know the original poster said he didn't want it for the heat and I believe most advertise them as not for heat but for what it's worth...

For about $160 of coal it would cost you about $10,000 worth of gel for the same heat. You need about 5 ton a coal per year to heat a 2000 sq. ft house in colder weather so it would cost $50K for the entire season... LOL

Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,798,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I'm confused.

I just don't get the point of Sungels or any gel fireplaces. Sure, you can put them anywhere, even embed them in a wall. Sure they can look really pretty - for a while. Real-looking with no heat output required? What if your power goes out - on what will you depend for heat? What will you use to cook? How can you get the cans of gel if they stop making them or the price gets silly? How much oxygen do they use up in an unvented room?

My mother had an electric fireplace that 'looked real', even had the fake crackling that 'sounded real', and had a minimal radiant heat output. She used it every weekend for about three months, and after that the thrill was gone. It did make a nice liquor cabinet, though.

We have a cast-iron stove with stovepipe that goes up thru the roof; the area around the stove is bricked and fireproofed. the pipe is properly inserted and metal-flanged, then sealed to prevent leaks. Since I am the Firestarter in the family (also known as an arsonist in the big city! ) DH often comes to me and says, "How 'bout a fire?" 10 minutes later we have a rip-roarer, 30 minutes after that we have a firebox full of big glowing embers that keeps a 1700 sq foot house at 80 deg all night and morning. We can bake in the coals, cook on top, even roast marshmallows if we open up the front. Much better than a BIG fireplace, where a lot of the heat goes up the chimney, and even with the damper closed, cold can rush down when the wind's just right. I bought a steel bucket that fits right under the lip of the firebox, and just shovel out the ash into the bucket, then put it in the compost pile. We have a built-on 'wood box' with an 'outside' door and an 'inside' door; load the wood from the woodpile into the outside door, close and slide the catch, then go inside and - poof! dry wood, right next to the stove behind the inside door. Saves on going out to the woodpile in the snow.

I just don't understand ambiance without compensatory productivity. For that, you can put a cheap DVD on and have a 'fire' on the TV or computer screen, and spend far less. Why spend the money?

I hope you find someone who can tell you what you need to know about the gel fireplaces, though; if that's what you really want. They ARE pretty, but strike me like wall art - nice to have around to add character to a room, but not really necessary. Good luck!
Your point is well taken, but living in a mobile home, nobody will insure us with a "solid fuel" device (wood burning stove in English). I love the way a fire looks. We have a bonfire every couple of weeks when the weather is cool enough to stand it. But it would be nice to have something inside. I was actually thinking about an electric fireplace (I can always use a liquor cabinet ) but now I am wondering about one of the gel thingies. I wonder how safe they are, though, if they get knocked over.

I really wish I could have a wood stove boo hoo.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-08-2009, 08:47 PM

380 posts, read 1,013,204 times
If you just want the look and ambiance, get the amish fireplace.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:53 AM

40,220 posts, read 41,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Your point is well taken, but living in a mobile home, nobody will insure us with a "solid fuel" device (wood burning stove in English).
I'm pretty sure most wood burning appliances are not rated by the manufacturer for use in a mobile home specifically because the flue temps are very high. There are some coal stokers that meet that criteria but the flue temps are half that of wood and chimney fires are non existent.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 885 times
Sunjel and other brands of gel fuel fireplaces do NOT emit Carbon Monoxide and small amounts of Carbon Dioxide. I have sold this brand in my furniture store for over 15 years, and everyone loves them. The fire dept, and inspectors have all approved the product for me to burn in our store, and for people in their counties and state to use for home or commercial use. I burn the displays every single night, there is no odor, and the customers just love them. People that are back and forth about these, clearly do not have one, nor do they have all the testing results as us retailers do.
I am here to support the USA manufacturers and innovative companies like the Sunjel people, I suggest you all do the same or we will all be working at McDonalds serving everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or