U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:00 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,766 times

Advertisements

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090320/capt.5e0ae81b763c4b63a0b2391509ef8082.obama_white_ house_garden_whre101.jpg (broken link)

I saw this and kind of had to laugh. I know the symbolism is pretty good, as Michelle Obama takes a bunch of kids and tries to grow a White House Garden, but the real story later emerged. Long after the rakes were picked up and hoes were beat onto the ground, and the pictures taken; the real workers came in, used equipment and started the actual "garden".

But I have a bunch of questions. Since this water melon patch will most likely be given to important dignitaries, that makes this garden a "commercial venture" by IRS standards. Since this exceeded the 1000 dollar threshold by federal funds, then it comes under USDA oversight as well. So I have a few questions:

Do they have a sod/swamp buster application on file at the USDA, and is it approved?

Did they do an Indian artifact search?

What about an endangered species search and impact study?

Did they get a stormwater runoff permit? And what conservation measures were put into place?

Did they pay a carbon tax for destroying a carbon sink?

Will the EPA fine them on a windy day if a little dust blows from this "vegie farm"?

Did they file the appropriate retail tax and wholesalew forms with the IRS?

Did they get a Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plan for the imported fertilizer?

Was INS called in to ensure every worker was approved to work in this country?

Where any child labor laws broken?

Was Monsanto paid off to develop a super genetically modified watermelon seed specifically for this purpose?

The point here is, they have no idea what it takes to grow a garden or to farm in this country. It also points out all the difficulties a farmer today faces in terms of regulation to simply farm and it is getting worse. The stuff listed is actually an inside farmer joke because these are ALL things a farmer today has to contend with long before the plow sinks into the ground.I'm just jealous, I wish I could grab a bunch of kids and just start planting crops anywhere I want free of regulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 11:00 AM

18,540 posts, read 55,453,855 times
Great post! No, I take that back. That is a FANTASTIC post worthy of publication in major newspapers (while we still have them)!!! It really brings home the direction that all the regulations are heading. I fully expect to see Michelle in jail for her wanton disregard of multiple laws.

In addition to what you discovered, The White House lawn undoubtedly falls under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service, so she is intentionally defacing a national monument! With luck and good behavior she should be treated as fairly as the guy who went around trying to fix all the grammatical errors in government signage. She'll have to scrub the area and replant each blade of grass to bring it back into compliance, then pay a fine, stay away from the area and parks, and be on probation for four years.

By having kids assist her in her illegal tasks, she is undoubtedly contributing to the corruption of minors and should be arrested as a child abuser and predator.

I'm sure the area wasn't checked for lead in the soil or other contaminants, possibly making the food grown their toxic. I mean, the White House was burned, had lead paint, was involved in a war where lead musket balls were used. What warning signs did she intentionally miss? Ignorance is no excuse when dealing with public health. Even if the soil wasn't toxic before, I'm sure that rake and turning fork contain "material found by the State of California to cause cancer."

I guess OSHA was looking the other way as well. Note that NONE of the participants are wearing protective clothing or devices. No safety glasses in case of flying clods of dust and dirt. No steel toed work books to limit damage from dangerous tools with nasty sharp pointy teeth. No gloves to prevent soil pathogens from coming in contact with the workers. No porta-potty in place, forcing kids to take bathroom breaks in the soil. No respirators, let alone dust masks. No fully equipped safety kit. No obvious signage showing the worker's rights or wage/hour laws. No designated break area. We have some serious violations of laws here folks.

Michelle also probably has not applied for a license and required background check to operate a day-care center. Maybe she was hoping to sneak it by, with only having the kids show up for a day now and then? It won't work, dear. The police are being called as I write.

We're on to you in Washington. We are the citizens and we are here to help you remember all those laws you passed. By the way, where did you say you buried that bailout money???

Old 04-10-2009, 11:17 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,535,609 times
I love you guys...

Old 04-10-2009, 01:15 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,251,947 times
I hope you guys WILL forward all this to one (or all) major newspapers.

The farmers are still not heard, - an average person (including me before I started reading CD) still thinks it is very simple - get a shovel, turn the ground, plant a patch of pumpkins. People just don't know how ridiculous it all has got. Michelle's patch is a great opportunity to educate masses.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:51 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,622,034 times
I knew it was just a 'for show' picture when I saw her "digging" the grass with a rake

Old 04-11-2009, 10:56 AM

18,540 posts, read 55,453,855 times
As a photographer, some of the funniest shots you can find are those of doofuses cutting ribbons and using spades to start a construction project. Usually there are a few real workers off to the side with varying reactions. As for this shot, it was better crafted than you might think. You have to imagine what the negative press would use or imply as a cutline with the photo. Almost all the proper tools have negative connotations or homonyms.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:56 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,681,328 times
A rake ?

Maybe she was going to try no-tilling .
Broken Tap mentioned no-tilling on a different thread.

If she wanted a no-till garden, I think she should have killed off the grass with RoundUp about a month ago.( I would have said " last fall" tegarding the RoundUp. but I just remembered the Obama's weren't the tennants of that " homestead" last fall)

Old 04-13-2009, 04:45 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,766 times
What? You guys and gals missed her "self propelled 4 inch garden areators"?

I thought those high heeled boots were obviously the best choice for gardening.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:48 PM

28,394 posts, read 18,200,556 times
On top of all the good points made...don't you get a kick out of her choice of work cloths?

Old 04-13-2009, 02:17 PM

668 posts, read 1,927,638 times
Remember, they make the laws...so, they dont have to follow them...(until they get back into civilian life, and even then, thier secret service guys will protect them).

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well..

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or