U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:06 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,798,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post

I'm just pulling your leg, of course. I know what you mean about longing for a little more. That's exactly why I couldn't live in a rural area very long. I like too many things that just aren't available in most rural areas, and I like them too much to have to make a 2 or 3 hour trip.
Point well taken, Naptowner. It's just that, the other day I happened to hear a song from Les Miserables and I recalled seeing a performance in Springfield some years ago (1993, I believe). It got me thinking about the Art Museum Receptions I had attended, and similar lah-de-dah stuff which I had enjoyed often at one point in my life, and which now days, I alternately despise and long for, depending on my mood. Life can be such a paradox at times.

I guess I just need to get a culture fix which should hold me for a while. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 06:00 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,760,546 times
Suffering from culture shock, are you? At dawn, take a cup of coffee or tea out on the porch and watch the sunrise. Listen to the world wake up and the birds call a "Good morning" to the world. Take a walk in the fields or woodlands. Watch a spectacular sunset. Set on the porch during a thunderstorm. Mankind can never produce anything nearly as beautiful as that which you will find in nature. The only difference is you have to be receptive to nature before you can see her beauty. She doesn't, for the most part, knock you down with it.
Y'all take care, y heer?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:17 PM

252 posts, read 642,154 times
I am always wondering if I am missing something. Of course, that's my nature and I would wonder it if I was sitting in Times Square, so I accept the beauties and pleasure of my rural community.

I have an aunt (by marriage to my mom's bro.) who by nature's accident is unusually, beautiful--long swooping eyelashes, deep set purple eyes, prominent lips, thick, brown hair, regally tall, perrenially thin, stylish, artistic, funny, very bright, kind.............I could go on. I have wondered all of my life, (she is now in her 80s and still gorgeous), if she missed something because economics and place kept her from any notoriety or note.

I know the proper argument is vers how SHE feels, but I just wonder if it's ever frustrating to not show the world or, at least, more of the world who we are. And, maybe that's the point when we feel exiled. Does anyone else wonder such a thing?

Last edited by roots'nbulbs; 04-16-2009 at 06:27 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 08:15 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,536,988 times
Been there, did that, will never do it again.
I am fortunate to live in a place where they make their own entertainment; where kids will be out for branding today, where food and fun and simple pleasures are shared by people with education and a determined attitude.

I HATED the 'hayseed' environment, where the rednecks all drank beer and shot guns and thought that they were country. I have tasted French cooking in Seattle and San Antone, enjoyed Nawlins cuisine, and have eaten at 5 star restaurants in DC. I have attended Broadway productions and enjoyed them. But nothing beats the smell of grass-fed beef on an open fire, or fresh-baked bread and real cinnamon or caramel rolls in the oven. No one anywhere can compete with the local joyful cheerful talent that makes fun of themselves and their lifestyle.

Sorry, but I moved away from all of that city life and constant hysteria; but when I moved TO a place, I ensured that where I moved had people that were educated, intelligent, and liked a challenge as well as a good time. My knowledge of drama and food has introduced me to a group of folks who are not only accepting but happy to share. Still, I am happiest on my little farm, doing my acreage things - and don't miss the Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha Lattes as much as you'd think. Glow where you are...

Old 04-17-2009, 12:07 PM

9,784 posts, read 11,269,350 times
I've found that a trip to NYC can be an excellent break every few years. I can eat some interesting food, wander around the Metropolitan Museum and other museums, do some shopping, and after three or four days, think about nothing but going home.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:17 PM

From my previous post that wondered aloud about a beautiful woman isolated in the country: "... but I just wonder if it's ever frustrating to not show the world or, at least, more of the world who we are. And, maybe that's the point when we feel exiled. Does anyone else wonder such a thing?"[/quote]

Or...."If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it fall, is there sound?"............or-r-r...does it matter that the tree ever existed?

Old 04-18-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
From my previous post that wondered aloud about a beautiful woman isolated in the country: "... but I just wonder if it's ever frustrating to not show the world or, at least, more of the world who we are. And, maybe that's the point when we feel exiled. Does anyone else wonder such a thing?"
Or...."If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it fall, is there sound?"............or-r-r...does it matter that the tree ever existed?[/quote]

Come on..........I'm waiting for someone to say, "If the tree is having a good time falling, few people ever need to know the tree...where it grows and what it looks like."

I don't know that I agree...........I'm just wondering what the problem is with living in a small town. Maybe it's more about being seen than seeing.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
masonsdaughter says you have to be receptive to nature.

TRUE !

Since I retired,I take a brisk 2.2 mile walk down a country road.
I am probably the only person who takes a walk with out wearing headphones.

Every day I hear different sounds varying from a bird, the gentle flow of melting snow running thru the culvert, the different sounds of the breeze depending on velocity, a cow bawling for her calf in a distant pasture-------etc.

Wearing headphones , for me, is drowning out the sounds, which are a benefit of taking a walk.

I would no more consider wearing headphones than I would consider wearing blinders so I could only see the road ahead.

Sights and sounds are what make being outside in nature special.
Why deprive yourself of either ?

Old 04-18-2009, 10:35 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,536,988 times
True, Marmac!!

Today I walked the 'back 40' strewing clover and ryegrass seed over some bare spots to help them out. It was misty rain, the bluebirds were singing in the dry grasses, and I heard a cow lowing. As I topped a ridge, there before me was a herd of cattle on my neighbor's property - and closest to our dividing fence was a cow with three adorable little calves! They were playing while Mom was eating, and I could hear them 'talking' and their little hooves on the ground.

Later this summer I'll use my ears to listen for snakes sliding thru the tall grass, or the bees in the cedars humming away, or the rabbits bounding through the brush - then stopping suddenly. The wind, the patter of the rain today - no iPod can match that.

And of course the sound of a tree falling matters - especially to the tree!

Old 04-19-2009, 10:23 AM

OK. A beautiful woman is out on the prairie for 86 years. She falls and hardly anyone ever knew her--maybe the 1200 people in the nearby town.

I hope she had a darned good time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living