U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:59 AM

7,543 posts, read 15,694,248 times

Advertisements

The original poster's point was NOT that she didn't take pleasures in the rural life - the wonderful things great and small - but that she occasionally missed some of the pleasures that are only to be found in larger cities (large symphonies, operas, museums). Extolling the virtues of the rural life is pretty much preaching to the choir - it's generally why we live in a rural area - and missing the point of the original post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 12:05 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,760,980 times
Deep in the hills of Kentucky, so isolated few people know of it, there is a small creek racing down between the hills and woods on each side of her. In the hot summertime I walk to the banks, remove my shoes and socks and place my feet in the cold water. I close my eyes and feel the water caress my feet as it runs under, over, and around them. I hear her song, so happy, as only freely running water can sing. After awhile, I open my eyes to see the way she flattens out when she has enough space, narrows and runs deeper to flow between rocks, speeds up to race over a drop off, swirls into a small whirlpool when she hits bottom. Clear and colorless she can still form endless hypnotic patterns. I expand myself to take in the surrounding woods. The way the sunshine sends shafts of light to the forest floor, the squirrel darting from branch to branch, the rustle of the leaves in the slight breeze, The birds watching me to see if I might become a threat, then deciding that I am not and going about their business. The lizard popping his head over a nearby fallen tree to check me out. Have I been here moments or hours? It does not matter, an experience such as this is timeless.
I will slowly find my way back to my kitchen, where I will start kneeding the dough for a loaf of homebaked bread, feeling the way the dough changes texture, from liquid to a stiff, perfect dough ball, smelling the yeast, knowing my family will enjoy eating it as much as I enjoy making it.
It is these experiences which make my life worthwhile. It is enough.
Roots'nbulbs, I think she would say "It is enough."

Old 04-19-2009, 12:35 PM

23,440 posts, read 32,197,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Deep in the hills of Kentucky, so isolated few people know of it, there is a small creek racing down between the hills and woods on each side of her. In the hot summertime I walk to the banks, remove my shoes and socks and place my feet in the cold water. I close my eyes and feel the water caress my feet as it runs under, over, and around them. I hear her song, so happy, as only freely running water can sing. After awhile, I open my eyes to see the way she flattens out when she has enough space, narrows and runs deeper to flow between rocks, speeds up to race over a drop off, swirls into a small whirlpool when she hits bottom. Clear and colorless she can still form endless hypnotic patterns. I expand myself to take in the surrounding woods. The way the sunshine sends shafts of light to the forest floor, the squirrel darting from branch to branch, the rustle of the leaves in the slight breeze, The birds watching me to see if I might become a threat, then deciding that I am not and going about their business. The lizard popping his head over a nearby fallen tree to check me out. Have I been here moments or hours? It does not matter, an experience such as this is timeless.
I will slowly find my way back to my kitchen, where I will start kneeding the dough for a loaf of homebaked bread, feeling the way the dough changes texture, from liquid to a stiff, perfect dough ball, smelling the yeast, knowing my family will enjoy eating it as much as I enjoy making it.
It is these experiences which make my life worthwhile. It is enough.
Roots'nbulbs, I think she would say "It is enough."
Enough? Sounds like paradise to me! Kentucky is sooooo beautiful, I have loved it ever since I lived there in the mid '80's.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:58 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,254,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've found that a trip to NYC can be an excellent break every few years. I can eat some interesting food, wander around the Metropolitan Museum and other museums, do some shopping, and after three or four days, think about nothing but going home.
Excellent advise!! I do find that one or two trips a year to cities/events/happenings are enough to satisfy what's missing... And after drinking the city life, it's all the better to return to the quiet life...

Old 04-19-2009, 03:11 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,538,452 times
An ugly woman, a beautiful woman... An evil woman, a kind and wonderful woman... does it matter how (in)famous they are or whose lives they influence?

In the grand scheme of things, not at all. To the people who knew them, and to themselves, their lifetime meant something, maybe everything. What difference does it make what one looks like or who one is, no matter where s/he is?

Beauty is a gift that can be used for profit - or used for ill, just like any other gift. Doesn't matter where it is located. A wild rose blooms or dies where it is placed, depending on its care and what feeds its roots and soul, just like a hybrid.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:18 PM

557 posts, read 2,346,161 times
Great thread! How I EMPHATHIZE!! I lived in the Seattle area for 30-some years and enjoyed the opera, symphony, plays, ski areas close by, Starbucks down the street, and of course excellent medical and dental care close-by. We gave up all that because it was too fast a lifestyle, too crowded, too noisy, and I couldn't see the sunrise from my own yard. Now we're really out in the boonies with the nearest city over an hour away. Yes, I love taking long walks in the country, watching the sunrise/sun set, the local country church, the GENUINESS of the local folk, but yes, long for the finer things in life once in a while! It was a delight when the nearest Safeway 65 miles away finally put in a Starbucks! I do sometimes drive down our dirt, county road, windows down, playing Dvorak's 'Rusalka' full bast!

Old 04-19-2009, 05:20 PM

9,789 posts, read 11,274,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
True, Marmac!!

Today I walked the 'back 40' strewing clover and ryegrass seed over some bare spots to help them out. It was misty rain, the bluebirds were singing in the dry grasses, and I heard a cow lowing. As I topped a ridge, there before me was a herd of cattle on my neighbor's property - and closest to our dividing fence was a cow with three adorable little calves! They were playing while Mom was eating, and I could hear them 'talking' and their little hooves on the ground.

Later this summer I'll use my ears to listen for snakes sliding thru the tall grass, or the bees in the cedars humming away, or the rabbits bounding through the brush - then stopping suddenly. The wind, the patter of the rain today - no iPod can match that.

And of course the sound of a tree falling matters - especially to the tree!
I agree. It's the music of Nature.

Now a question. Can you just spread the seed around when it's damp without doing anything else? I would really like to cover some bare spots without engaging in a major project. I do, however, live in a very dry area.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:39 PM

252 posts, read 642,269 times
No no , Not trying to be shallow, here:

[quote=SCGranny;8416573] "An ugly woman, a beautiful woman... An evil woman, a kind and wonderful woman... does it matter how (in)famous they are or whose lives they influence? " end-quote

And, I take your point and was glad to read it.

My point was that because we really can have both worlds--cultural events with a little effort and travel PLUS live in the country, what do we miss? Sorry I was waxing poetic instead of just saying that I thought the girl who felt far from the opera may feel that the whole experience of the opera includes being seen there.

Maybe I loved my old drama classes a little too much...and, maybe I saw Anna Karenina or Julie Cristie's Lara in the ice castle........as I wondered about the aunt who spent her whole life on a farm, far from any city.

All the suggestions about what to do when we country mice want to go to a concert hall are good. I really do consider that yearning, though. You and I, Granny, seem to call our own shots. I worry that some people may be here with fewer options and less control.

One last comment and then, I'll shut up--for awhile: You might enjoy arranging a group that wants to travel "out" for plays, et c., taking turns with the driving responsibility.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:10 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,620,034 times
This thread reminds me of an old, old song:

How ’ya gonna keep ’em, down on the farm,
After they’ve seen Pa-ree?
How ’ya gonna keep ’em away from Broad-way;
Jazzin’ a-’round’,
And paintin’ the town?
How ’ya gonna keep ’em away from harm?
That’s a mistery;
They’ll never want to see a rake or plow,
And who the deuce can parleyvous a cow?
How ’ya gonna keep ’em down on the farm,
After they’ve seen Paree?

I wonder why it is that someone can't mention the advantages of a city without receiving some implicit criticism. Either city people "need to be entertained" or they need to be "seen" at the opera . . . while the granny who, for all we know, doesn't know anything beyond her pasture is "calling her own shots."

I admit the stereotypes run both ways on here at times, but why do we have to second-guess someone's motives when she says she appreciates talent and kind of misses some of the art and culture that is present in the cities? It would be like me, living in the middle of a city of a million people, claiming that I can go stick my feet in a creek - I can, but of course it's not a pristine backcountry river, it's a stream that flows through a park. It's a watered-down version of nature, just as hearing Mozart on CD or seeing a local community theater is a watered down version of the arts? How is one better than the other?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:17 PM

252 posts, read 642,269 times
Napstowner, It's the fact that the majority of the population lives in cities that puts rural on the defense. That's true in most situations where ratio is at play. Bigger tends to have the cultural resources.

I think that if you research SCGranny's posts, you will find her experiences to be far beyond somebody's pasture. She has merely chosen her spot on this earth and has the wisdom to know it. Too bad for both you and I that we have to rationalize.

I've been wondering, aloud, whether or not 'place' matters and posts on this thread have suggested how we can all have the best of two worlds.

It's my insecurities that make me bristle when someone reeks of "city is better." I guess if I owned the kingdom, I wouldn't care what you called my country palace. And, if you were first consul, you wouldn't care what I thought of--let's say, Paris, from my spot at Versailles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living