U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 07:10 AM

34,460 posts, read 43,314,558 times

Advertisements

There's a "Gentleman's Club" right off I-80 south of Clarion, PA. At least that's what I've been told. If you've grown up in PA you know how rural it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 12:26 PM

6 posts, read 11,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The network of organic farmers here includes Co-ops sharing seed, monthly workshops of how to produce various foods, livestock, wool spinning, and more.

They have organized a journeyman program, where someone interested in organic farming can go through their program, be placed as an apprentice on an existing farm, and once they complete so much, they help to locate a farm for the person and help to arrange financing.

Now I know, you are a dancer, and I am talking about farming. I must be an idiot right? What I have seen here is that there exists a group of really nice people. Who have disconnected from the commercial corporate ad-engrossed environment.

Some live in communes, some on Co-op farms, and some on private farms that accept apprenticeships. I have been approached by people asking if I would take them onto my farm in an apprenticeship.
how do the apprenticeships work? How does one go about it? I am very intreasted in this. I love organic gardening, but have only done personal gardens. I would really love to move to a more rural area with lower cost of living.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:19 PM

31,148 posts, read 50,323,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandbroke View Post
how do the apprenticeships work? How does one go about it? I am very intreasted in this. I love organic gardening, but have only done personal gardens. I would really love to move to a more rural area with lower cost of living.
If you do it via one of the formal programs, then I do not know. I know they exist, but I do not know exactly what is required for completion of their programs.

I have spoken with other farmers who do their own thing. And one of my friends is an older farmer who has started up numerous farms and each time he ends up turning it over to his apprentices and going off to start up a new farm.

You live on a farm. Your assigned daily chores. You may be expected to be studying horticulture textbooks [or not]. Cooking meals is usually on a rotation. Loading the vehicles to go to market. It is not un-common for one person to stay on the farm each day, available for customers at a roadside stand. While the other people may take vehicles to various Farmer's Markets to sell the produce.

Some around here may include tapping maple trees, cooking syrup and sugar. Others milk, and make artisan cheeses. Some grow grains and bake breads.

I can't say how money is handled, as I have never asked, nor have I thought that it was any of my business.

Some CSAs I have seen around here are very commune-like.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:48 PM

66 posts, read 179,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbear View Post
I've lived most of my 21 years in two PA towns with populations of around 50k and 15k and Pittsburgh for a short year. Growing up near farmland I thought I'd break away to become a "city girl," but I've found that nature is more important to me. The consumerism and hectic lifestyle of the city just isn't for me, and neither is this in-between small town/suburb junk either. (I know it's for some people, but it's just not my deal.)

I'd love to move somewhere within the next year, and I'm really interested in a rural lifestyle. Most of my "entertainment" comes in the forms of outdoors activities, reading, music, playing drums, spending time with friends, etc... I don't think I'd have trouble adapting to a slower-paced life, but it's the practicalities that I'm concerned about. I was browsing through threads in this section and was seeing things I never gave thought to (zoning, differences in utilities, weather preparation, hardcore self-sufficiency, pest/critter control, etc...). I am prepared to do the research and have the knowledge I need before I move, but this seems like an intimidating process.

Anyway... I'm lost as to what areas could be right for me. Here are my preferences. If you don't know of such a place, please don't bother commenting! Just because you don't know of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

- east coast, not south
- inland, not a coastal area
- lots of trees within sight, lush and green
- hills or mountains nearby would be cool but not necessary
- least severe winter/snowfall as possible in this type of setting
- within an hour or two of a (decent, not dive) strip club - possible? yes, I am serious.
- is it possible to rent places in rural areas? what is real estate/properties like? what are monthly expenses like for maintaining this lifestyle? This is an area I know little about.

When I say rural I do mean not close to a shopping mall or chains, far from a metro area, LOW population, more independent living.

West Virginia seems like the kind of landscape I'm looking for but I am open to other states of course. Also disregard my last thread about winter - I'm accepting that it's just a part of the circle of life.

Any info you can offer will be appreciated, even if you don't recommend a specific place. I'm a researcher personality so compiling wisdom and experience from others is fun. peace out.

NC/SC border near Asheville?

Old 01-23-2010, 12:03 AM

135 posts, read 346,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbear View Post
I've lived most of my 21 years in two PA towns with populations of around 50k and 15k and Pittsburgh for a short year. Growing up near farmland I thought I'd break away to become a "city girl," but I've found that nature is more important to me. The consumerism and hectic lifestyle of the city just isn't for me, and neither is this in-between small town/suburb junk either. (I know it's for some people, but it's just not my deal.)

I'd love to move somewhere within the next year, and I'm really interested in a rural lifestyle. Most of my "entertainment" comes in the forms of outdoors activities, reading, music, playing drums, spending time with friends, etc... I don't think I'd have trouble adapting to a slower-paced life, but it's the practicalities that I'm concerned about. I was browsing through threads in this section and was seeing things I never gave thought to (zoning, differences in utilities, weather preparation, hardcore self-sufficiency, pest/critter control, etc...). I am prepared to do the research and have the knowledge I need before I move, but this seems like an intimidating process.

Anyway... I'm lost as to what areas could be right for me. Here are my preferences. If you don't know of such a place, please don't bother commenting! Just because you don't know of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

- east coast, not south
- inland, not a coastal area
- lots of trees within sight, lush and green
- hills or mountains nearby would be cool but not necessary
- least severe winter/snowfall as possible in this type of setting
- within an hour or two of a (decent, not dive) strip club - possible? yes, I am serious.
- is it possible to rent places in rural areas? what is real estate/properties like? what are monthly expenses like for maintaining this lifestyle? This is an area I know little about.

When I say rural I do mean not close to a shopping mall or chains, far from a metro area, LOW population, more independent living.

West Virginia seems like the kind of landscape I'm looking for but I am open to other states of course. Also disregard my last thread about winter - I'm accepting that it's just a part of the circle of life.

Any info you can offer will be appreciated, even if you don't recommend a specific place. I'm a researcher personality so compiling wisdom and experience from others is fun. peace out.
Check around Schuylkill county that is very rural and for gentlemens clubs there is Al's Diamond Cabaret down in Reading less than an hour away and in the other direction is Mustang Sally's on rte.15 outside of Bloomsburg then you are around an hour from Harrisburg by I81 and about an hour from Allentown and an hour or so from Philly, but Schuylkill county is far enough away that you have that rural living you want but close enough to go out and do what you want or go away for the weekend but still have the peace and quiet of the country, I would look around Tremont, Pine Grove, Gordon, Branchdale, Hegins, Ashland, Luvelle.
This part of Schuylkill is very rural and you can get to major cities under a couple hours and people are more laid back here as well plus you have a chance to make connections to modelling and magazine jobs(alot of bike and car guys here)and several national car and hot rod shows are within driving distance, so you can have opportunities just have to go after them.
Now the snow is not too bad in fact this area has lower snowfall averages than up north and to the west in fact Schuylkill do not get lake effect snow here at all if any, so you will like that.
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living