U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2009, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
8,825 posts, read 23,242,151 times
Reputation: 4817

Advertisements

As to how much acreage you want, depends on what you want to do and how much privacy you want.

Mid and south Georgia has some relatively cheap land, as do Alabama and Mississippi, MS has or at least had very cheap land taxes. It's hot in the summer, in Mississippi you can get pretty bad ice storms in winter that pull down power lines, though. All through here you can definitely have pulpwood and/or turpentine production.

Land tends to be cheap where there is a lot of empty land around and no immediate demand to buy it.

Looking again at the rural South, for some reason it's easier to find an acrage that's on a paved road, if that's important to you (it would be to me). Out west this is rarer. Then again out here it's nuisance dust rather than impassible mud.

If you are willing to brave the winter, lot of pretty country in the upper midwest. Been there (Iowa), done that, I just don't want to deal with the winter. But if you are a hardy type, maybe retired so you can pick your times to get out during winter, it might work for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2009, 03:07 PM
 
775 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Well, there are other factors. In some spots, acreage is cheap, but weather affects how long you can be out and about to enjoy it. Some parts of the country where the weather is good (like here in NC) can have very diverse prices, depending on the part of the state.

Try googling "farm and rural land for sale". There are sites that act as sort of a clearing house. You can filter by state, land use, and price.
NC is a pretty good state to have land!

I don't mind the weather/climate. Four seasons or the desert, I'll adjust.

I'll use that term and see what kinda hits I get - thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 03:09 PM
 
775 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You can never have too much land....and you can do whatever you want(within reason)when you own a lot.

The land I mentioned was in Nevada by the way,northern NV and utilities would be problematic but alternatives exist.
I love Nevada! Nevada looks promising regard land...but, as you may know, Nevada BFE is very different than any other states' BFE.

Utilities is one reason why land is cheap in northern NV. Not to mention, you're easily 100-300 miles from ANYTHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 03:09 PM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 12,160,366 times
Reputation: 2457
NC will be much higher for land than what you posted...more like $3500/acre.

TN is cheaper overall than NC and KY is cheaper still than TN....generally speaking of course.

If I had my choice I would probably pick NE Oklahoma...never been there but it looks nice and just the sort of place we would like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 03:11 PM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 12,160,366 times
Reputation: 2457
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
I love Nevada! Nevada looks promising regard land...but, as you may know, Nevada BFE is very different than any other states' BFE.

Utilities is one reason why land is cheap in northern NV. Not to mention, you're easily 100-300 miles from ANYTHING.
Alternative energy solves that....

Also it depends upon if you need to work....or simply want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 03:14 PM
 
775 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I got river frontage forest here for $900 per acre, and a woodlot across the road for $300 per acre. Thick forest land, accessed by paved county road, 7 miles from the freeway, power / phone / DSL at the pavement. In a Township with a density of 9 people per square mile.

But we have a short growing season, so you either grow native crops or you use greenhouses.

We are finding that sheep, goats, chickens and hogs are fine underneath a forest canopy.

No shortage of fire wood or water.

We are well North of the 'Great Lakes snow belt" region, if we went further South we would get more snow. This past winter we had 6 snow storms which each dumped 8 inches to a foot of 'global Warming' on us. A tractor with a front loader makes handling snow an easy task.

Another thing to consider is taxes. Ours run about $1.05 per acre each year.
Sounds fantastic...where in Maine is this? 900/acre is kinda scary, but it won't be bad if I buy 20-40 acres at 900/acre...need to crunch numbers on it. But the winters are brutal. 300/acre is just what I'm looking for...details about this wooded land?

How short is the growth season, and what months? Don't know about raising farm animals. I prefer to hunt. Any good hunting in Maine where you are located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 03:26 PM
 
775 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
As to how much acreage you want, depends on what you want to do and how much privacy you want.

Mid and south Georgia has some relatively cheap land, as do Alabama and Mississippi, MS has or at least had very cheap land taxes. It's hot in the summer, in Mississippi you can get pretty bad ice storms in winter that pull down power lines, though. All through here you can definitely have pulpwood and/or turpentine production.

Land tends to be cheap where there is a lot of empty land around and no immediate demand to buy it.

Looking again at the rural South, for some reason it's easier to find an acrage that's on a paved road, if that's important to you (it would be to me). Out west this is rarer. Then again out here it's nuisance dust rather than impassible mud.

If you are willing to brave the winter, lot of pretty country in the upper midwest. Been there (Iowa), done that, I just don't want to deal with the winter. But if you are a hardy type, maybe retired so you can pick your times to get out during winter, it might work for you.
I want buy land to live seasonally or year around...who knows. Mostly to play. I love dirt biking, and thrashing my own land is like a dream to me. A test bed for tough 4X4 trucks, as well... Privacy is important, too. Private enough where nobody will bother you for what your land looks like (like a '84 Camaro on cinder blocks). I like to be left alone. I'm not sure how much I want. I know what ONE acre looks like. Maybe I need to walk around 10-60 acres to get an idea?

Growing some food would be awesome, depending on the soil.

I lived in Alabama for some time a long time ago. In the summers, it was extremely hot and humid...I didn't enjoy that. But it was in an urban area. Maybe lots of trees will lessen the climate?

Mississippi sounds like a good place. Let's see what I get for MS. Georgia has clay, not sure how fertile that is? And it's hell on autos...

I don't mind winters, but if the place has a mild climate, that would be more than ideal.

I couldn't care less about paved roads. But if it's there, awesome. If not, no biggie. I can make a road or use a 4x4 to go in/out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 03:31 PM
 
775 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
NC will be much higher for land than what you posted...more like $3500/acre.

TN is cheaper overall than NC and KY is cheaper still than TN....generally speaking of course.

If I had my choice I would probably pick NE Oklahoma...never been there but it looks nice and just the sort of place we would like.
I know that is true near urban areas like Charlotte/Raleigh/Eastern NC.

But what about Western NC? You don't hear much about western NC.

Heck, how about SC, your state?

KY might be good. Although, I think there are lots of beef farms / slaughters in that region? I hate that smell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 03:34 PM
 
775 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Alternative energy solves that....

Also it depends upon if you need to work....or simply want to live.
Installing an alternative energy source will cost as much as the land itself. The keyword is cheap, and alternative energy ain't it.

Just to live. If i need work, I'll leave for a while and find a temporary housing. I'm fixing up a 1978 20' camper as we speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 03:36 PM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 12,160,366 times
Reputation: 2457
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
I know that is true near urban areas like Charlotte/Raleigh/Eastern NC.

But what about Western NC? You don't hear much about western NC.

Heck, how about SC, your state?

KY might be good. Although, I think there are lots of beef farms / slaughters in that region? I hate that smell.
WNC is higher than the eastern part of the state.

SC has some places that are cheaper,I wouldn't want to live there however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top