U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 PM

357 posts, read 890,579 times

Advertisements

that is an expensive land to grow vegetables, raise chickens and goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinl5 View Post
I just did a comp for acreage in my area, the average price I got was $36k per acre for the area I was pulling comps for. Nice area, rural and access to utilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:41 AM

31 posts, read 91,997 times
Since alot of folks have mentioned NC land let me give you my two cents worth since I have been selling rural NC land for 19 years or so.

Prices range all over depending on how rural and the quality of land. As a general rule good land starts around $1000/acre in rural NC. We do not have any $300 land anymore unless it is under water. $1000 land is out there but the not in every market. I have land for sale in the 1200/acre range in SE NC up to 20,000/acre in the mountains and I all of it is rural/acreage tracts, not "building lots". One county can be 1500/acre average and the adjoing county can be 6000/acre. It all depends on what you want, how big and where, but again, 2-3 acres will always be priced as a building lot and "acreage" in my opinion starts at 20-30 acres and goes up from there and that is where you start finding better prices especially in the several hundred acre range.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:31 PM

902 posts, read 3,300,311 times
Thanks for the insight.

Yes, I noticed. I've since written NC off.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:16 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,535,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
My township seems to harvest two deer for each person living here. Maybe twice that many turkey, a few beer, a few moose.
I'd like to find out more about this beer harvest. It sounds interesting.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:37 AM

31,141 posts, read 50,298,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225
I'd like to find out more about this beer harvest. It sounds interesting.

Cute.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,638 times
Default looking for cheap acreage in northwest idaho

i am looking for 20 acres or so,with a low,down payment owner finance.want somewhere in northwest idaho.it can be recreational property.it doesnt have to be on grid.would like a spring,creek some type water.if anyone knows of any thing like this please let me know.thanks

Old 07-07-2009, 02:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,895 times
Default Acreage & Lifestyle @ Affordable Price

I can tell you what we learned in our quest to find affordable acreage - the cost of adding utilities, entries and other improvements can cost a LOT. Also, property taxes and monthly utility costs can very widely. We purchased a 3/3 home at 2340 sf on 30 acres in northeast Oklahoma about 10 minutes from Grand Lake. We had the option to buy 65 acres total but opted to only take the 30 and were glad we did. We felt that 30 acres was comfortable and not overwhelming. It allowed us plenty of room for our horses and even room for some goats! We have two stocked ponds that our nephews fish from, a 1,000 sf enclosed garden, barn, out-buildings, etc. and we feel that we have plenty of space. Our property taxes last year were $849, we have NO water bill (woo-hoo as we have 2 awesome private wells) and our electric bill averages about $105 month thanks in part to our fully-finished walk-out basement that retains a nice consistent temperature.

My husband was laid off in March, 2008 and it took a grueling 12 months before he finally landed a new position. We would have never thought he could be off work for so long. His new job is over an hour from here so we've just put our property on the market. You can see it at [url=http://www.entourage1.com/914]Tulsa MLS and Oklahoma City MLS, Your Real Estate Entourage![/url]. It might give you an idea of what you can get for the money in northeastern Oklahoma.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 AM

31,141 posts, read 50,298,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy82vinita
I can tell you what we learned in our quest to find affordable acreage - the cost of adding utilities, entries and other improvements can cost a LOT. Also, property taxes and monthly utility costs can very widely. We purchased a 3/3 home at 2340 sf on 30 acres in northeast Oklahoma about 10 minutes from Grand Lake. We had the option to buy 65 acres total but opted to only take the 30 and were glad we did. We felt that 30 acres was comfortable and not overwhelming. It allowed us plenty of room for our horses and even room for some goats! We have two stocked ponds that our nephews fish from, a 1,000 sf enclosed garden, barn, out-buildings, etc. and we feel that we have plenty of space. Our property taxes last year were $849, we have NO water bill (woo-hoo as we have 2 awesome private wells) and our electric bill averages about $105 month thanks in part to our fully-finished walk-out basement that retains a nice consistent temperature.
Those taxes sound high to me.

Ouch!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:11 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy82vinita View Post

My husband was laid off in March, 2008 and it took a grueling 12 months before he finally landed a new position. We would have never thought he could be off work for so long. His new job is over an hour from here so we've just put our property on the market. You can see it at Tulsa MLS and Oklahoma City MLS, Your Real Estate Entourage!. It might give you an idea of what you can get for the money in northeastern Oklahoma.

3/3 home, finished basement, 30 acres, barn, out buildings ?

Your taxes sound very low to me.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:29 PM

902 posts, read 3,300,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Those taxes sound high to me.

Ouch!
High?! I pay $1100 annually for a TH with a postage stamp sized yard. $850 for 30 acres and a 2350 sq.ft. is extremely cheap to me. It's all relative, I suppose.

What about Maine? How much per sq/ft and per acre? Would you live in the down east Maine area? I see a lot of cheap land and houses around that area. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living