U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:03 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,687,849 times

Advertisements

Archie, ask Forest Beekeeper if he would have been able to achieve his dream at age 24, married, with 2 kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 03:53 PM

31,151 posts, read 50,327,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Archie, ask Forest Beekeeper if he would have been able to achieve his dream at age 24, married, with 2 kids
LOL

I think I said this once long ago.

We tried to make a go of it in our 20s.

We failed.

At the time, I had completed 6 years in a career field that offered a 20 year pension, and had gotten out. They offered that I could get back into that career field. So much soul searching and grief, I did.

Now, years later with a pension and a lot of years of living frugally with heavy investing behind us; now we can do it.

I retired at 42, we used our portfolio to buy land and now it is okay if our farm provides no income for a few years. We have no mortgage and we live in an extremely low cost-of-living situation. So now I can afford it, if we stumble a bit here or there.

We are still making progress.

My 'path' to get here on a farm required living underwater and ice for many months at a time, for a period of 20 years. Which is not exactly the sacrifice that everyone would choose.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:02 PM

17,098 posts, read 22,615,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
There may be some advantages to being single I suppose.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:44 PM

3,338 posts, read 4,782,980 times
If you choose Minnesota or South Dakota, the cost of living is a lot less than California. Lifestyle in either outside of the Twin Cities is very peaceful.

Biggest difference between Minnesota and South Dakota is taxes. They don't call Minnesota the "Land of 10,000 taxes" for nothing. Also, you won't find any prairie in Minnesota. Farmland and mega-trees in the norhern part. Wait until you hit northern Minnesota and the black flies find you. Nothing I've experienced can match the joy of running to your car after being bit by a swarm of devil's own creatures. Incidentally, the state bird in Minnesota is the mosquito.

NO income tax or corporate income tax in South Dakota. Wages are relatively low, but there are jobs to be had here. Though wages are lower than most of the nation, the cost of living here is MUCH lower than most of the nation.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:40 PM

374 posts, read 1,010,103 times
Would you find enough trees in South Dakota to heat on your own land with wood? Only been there once and I was just a youngin', haha.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:50 PM

374 posts, read 1,010,103 times
Default Where to go

Hey there,
My husband and I have been in a similar boat in terms of trying to decide where to go. We have both been in Alaska most of our lives and are unsure of what else is out there that would match our needs. We sat down and made a list of things we want. Then we tried to find places that matched. The big one for us was land that we could afford with trees enough to heat with wood, maybe some mountains nearby, jobs accessible, friendly gun laws, and the ability to hunt/fish/grow food for ourselves. As far as cheap land goes, it is all over, but we wanted trees, and that wiped out many of the areas with cheap land. You can find cheap land in Colorado, the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Nevada, but we didn't want the arid-type land or plains. I know, picky-picky. We did a search on Wikepedia for gun laws to find the states that were more friendly to guns and hunting. We also wanted some form of winter, and maybe snow as well. Our general search gave us this list, not in order: Maine, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, West Virginia. We still aren't totally sure which of those we will end up with. We are getting ready to head out and start looking. At this point, we are leaning towards West Virginia, Maine, and maybe Pennsylvania the most- and that is where I have had the most luck with job searching. Just do lots of research, ask around on the forums in the states you are interested in. Make a list of what your criteria would be, and know that it is going to change as you realize what is possible in combination with what you want. Don't get discouraged by being young and having two kids- you can do it, it just might be tougher and more work, but you can do it! Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandbroke View Post
My family and I have lived in Califronia our whole lives. My husband and I are 24 years old and have 2 small children. We want to move out of CA within a year or so.
We want to live in a small rural area. We like to hunt, fish, camp, hike, garden and own guns. I'd like to stay away from extreme hot weather. (Where we our now gets to 80s starting in April and climbs to 110s in June-September.) Can anyone give good suggestions? And types of jobs that are near by?

Old 04-26-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
Would you find enough trees in South Dakota to heat on your own land with wood? Only been there once and I was just a youngin', haha.
Plenty of wood in eastern SD and the Black Hills. Trees can be a little scarce in the rest of the state.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:55 PM

948 posts, read 2,396,565 times
Try the Black Hills in South Dakota. Approx 85% national forest. Lots of trees. Tons of hiking trails, great dear and turkey hunting, some elk as well. Trout fishing is phenomenal and if you like to hike there are hundreds of miles of trail systems that will take you into some very pristine areas. Two ski resorts, hundreds of miles of snowmobile and four wheeler trails. State parks, National parks and abundant camping. Some areas have never broke a hundred while in the winter we have fewer sub-zero temps than most non coastal areas this far north. Snowfall isn't too bad unless you like lots of snow there is a pocket in the northwest hills area that averages over 150" per year. All of this in an area you can drive from one end to the other and back again (in one day)with time to explore in the middle! ssshhhhh, don't tell too many.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
Try the Black Hills in South Dakota. Approx 85% national forest. Lots of trees. Tons of hiking trails, great dear and turkey hunting, some elk as well. Trout fishing is phenomenal and if you like to hike there are hundreds of miles of trail systems that will take you into some very pristine areas. Two ski resorts, hundreds of miles of snowmobile and four wheeler trails. State parks, National parks and abundant camping. Some areas have never broke a hundred while in the winter we have fewer sub-zero temps than most non coastal areas this far north. Snowfall isn't too bad unless you like lots of snow there is a pocket in the northwest hills area that averages over 150" per year. All of this in an area you can drive from one end to the other and back again (in one day)with time to explore in the middle! ssshhhhh, don't tell too many.
He's got a point. The Black Hills are gorgeous. We go there about every 2 to 3 years even though it's 350 miles away. Unfortunately, it's starting to get overrun with developments that should have never been allowed to happen. When you're driving down Spearfish Canyon road and you can look up and see houses on the cliffs SOMETHING IS WRONG.

Living just outside of the hills if you've got the kind of job that allows you to do so would be great. The towns I would recommend would be Belle Fourche, Spearfish, Custer, or Newell. Everything else would be inundated with tourists or bikers (Sturgis).

Old 04-28-2009, 11:11 AM

948 posts, read 2,396,565 times
[quote=jmgg;8547006]He's got a point. The Black Hills are gorgeous. We go there about every 2 to 3 years even though it's 350 miles away. Unfortunately, it's starting to get overrun with developments that should have never been allowed to happen. When you're driving down Spearfish Canyon road and you can look up and see houses on the cliffs SOMETHING IS WRONG.

Fortunately there are very few undeveloped lots left in Spearfish Canyon and the rest is national forest. So we will see a few more places go up, but the private lots (most which were platted in the 60's and 70's) are nearly all built on now. The developments we are seeing now (at lest in the northern hills) are being done on some of the last private grounds left. Although it saddens me sometimes, I also realize that just around the corner there are millions of acres of ground to explore that will always be there. (as long as the forest service doesn't sell out) knock on wood....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living