U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:54 PM

6 posts, read 11,818 times

Advertisements

My family and I have lived in Califronia our whole lives. My husband and I are 24 years old and have 2 small children. We want to move out of CA within a year or so.
We want to live in a small rural area. We like to hunt, fish, camp, hike, garden and own guns. I'd like to stay away from extreme hot weather. (Where we our now gets to 80s starting in April and climbs to 110s in June-September.) Can anyone give good suggestions? And types of jobs that are near by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 09:25 PM

3,702 posts, read 16,505,835 times
Maybe look towards North East Texas, Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma. Plenty of lakes and land to do all of the above.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:19 PM

3,338 posts, read 4,780,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandbroke View Post
My family and I have lived in Califronia our whole lives. My husband and I are 24 years old and have 2 small children. We want to move out of CA within a year or so.
We want to live in a small rural area. We like to hunt, fish, camp, hike, garden and own guns. I'd like to stay away from extreme hot weather. (Where we our now gets to 80s starting in April and climbs to 110s in June-September.) Can anyone give good suggestions? And types of jobs that are near by?
Might want to check into the Sioux Falls, South Dakota area. Big enough city (pop. approx. 150,000 at last estimate) to have most anything you want, surrounded by a very rural state (pop. approx. 790,000) that has very diversified land. Many lakes to fish and we've got the Missouri river splitting the state. A network of dams on the river has created phenomenal fishing especially for walleyes and salmon. In the black hills we even have a mountain lion season along with mountain streams for trout fishing.

SD is the pheasant capital of the US. Tons of ducks and geese. Both whitetail and mule deer as well as some of the best antelope hunting in the land.

You won't have to worry too much about the hot weather for more than a few months.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 PM

3,332 posts, read 9,665,978 times
There are small towns all over Pennsylvania like that. Their gun laws are pretty lax too..........i know a ton of people that hunt in Pa.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:33 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,314,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandbroke View Post
... We want to live in a small rural area. We like to hunt, fish, camp, hike, garden and own guns. I'd like to stay away from extreme hot weather. (Where we our now gets to 80s starting in April and climbs to 110s in June-September.) Can anyone give good suggestions? And types of jobs that are near by?
I can hunt from my porch.

We have two kayaks tied up in the river 20 paces from the house.

Dense forest is filled with wildlife, and our township harvests approx twice more deer each year than we have people. We have lots of turkey too. A few moose and beaver.

In our township the only storefront business is a gunsmith.

It never gets over 90 degrees here.

One thing to keep in mind about rural areas is the price of the land, and the property taxes. Around here land with access to water is below $1,000 /acre, without direct water access it goes for $300 /acre. And taxes run about $1.05 /acre. But now I am in the highest property mil rate county in our entire state. Every other county has lower taxes. To me though a dollar a year per acre is not bad.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 AM

4,123 posts, read 5,438,524 times
The Land of 10,000 Lakes - Rural Life a Plenty. More small towns, each with different it's own personality and plenty of time to enjoy life in the slower lane. Cost of living is reasonable and the air is so clean. One can choose to live in any manor of small towns from tiny to small or medium - you name it, it's here.

We enjoy all four seasons here and even when it's cold there's something brewing. It's easy to become involved in one's community, a bit or a whole lot. What ever you fancy.

I'd recomend a road trip, even if you are all the way out in CA, because Minnesota is everything you are looking for.

As for work, I'm not sure what fields you are looking for. Work's here and our economy isn't as terrible as the national average. It really depends on your skill set and flexibility. If you're serious I can post some links to some small towns in the area, you can check them out and investigate what's available near by.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:13 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
IMHO, the OP is making a serious mistake ( in these tough economic times) by listing --jobs-- at the very end of their criteria as almost an afterthought.

First ,find out where you can get a --job--, then use your criteria in comparing those places.

It appears you are placing the cart ahead of the horse.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:55 AM

17,091 posts, read 22,609,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
IMHO, the OP is making a serious mistake ( in these tough economic times) by listing --jobs-- at the very end of their criteria as almost an afterthought.

First ,find out where you can get a --job--, then use your criteria in comparing those places.

It appears you are placing the cart ahead of the horse.
Well, unless they can make a living on their own without a job, but then they'd need to find a place they could do that...

Old 04-22-2009, 01:50 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,314,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
The Land of 10,000 Lakes - Rural Life a Plenty. More small towns, each with different it's own personality and plenty of time to enjoy life in the slower lane. Cost of living is reasonable and the air is so clean. One can choose to live in any manor of small towns from tiny to small or medium - you name it, it's here. ...
What does land cost?

How much are taxes per acre?

Old 04-22-2009, 03:00 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
" unless they could make a living on their own without a job"

Yup, Archie, but then they would have no need to inquire about ---" type of jobs that are nearby"--------at the very end of their criteria list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living