U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:32 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,995,929 times

Advertisements

You don't say what part of the country your farm is in. I had the same problem here in NE GA and was fortunate that I live near some chicken farmers...they came and spread chick poo for the cost of the gas and it raised my levels and really firtalized my fields
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 07:17 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
????????????

poultry manure is a great fertilizer, but I fail to see how it raises the ph of your soil.

The farmers near me who rely on poultry manure as a major part of their fertilizer program, still apply lime to raise the ph.

Fertility levels and soil ph are not the same and usually what is used for one does nothing for the other.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:45 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times
You are right Marmac (as usual) my understanding is that it is high in ammonia which means the nitrogen level is really high, but does not do much for your PH levels. That is why it takes your breath away when you shovel it. Man is that stuff raw compared to cow manure. Sheep manure is high too in nitrogen.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 AM

18,531 posts, read 55,444,914 times
Around here the chicken litter is composted. The dead chickens are tossed into the compost, so there could be a small amount of calcium and stuff from the bones that would affect pH?

Old 09-02-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Around here the chicken litter is composted. The dead chickens are tossed into the compost, so there could be a small amount of calcium and stuff from the bones that would affect pH?
True, but when it takes a ton per acre of actual lime to raise the soil ph .1 , I fail to see how a few chicken bones could make much difference.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:11 AM

We have a neighbor who has a hard time growing good alfalfa due to a low ph.

He says he doesn't need to apply extra lime cuz every day he runs the barn cleaner and 2 ( 66 lb )bags of lime are used on the center aisle of his dairy barn.

The center aisle is scraped daily into the gutter and transfered mixed with the manure via the barn cleaner.

Doing the math-------that is 132 lbs of lime, applying 10 loads of manure per acre gives him 1,320 lbs of actual lime applied.

Yup, his soils are still deficent in lime cuz he rotates crops and they only get applied once every 3 years.

Even if he was able to not "lose" ph over the years( which he will), it would take him 45 years to go from a 5.5 ph tp a 6.5 ph test.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:23 PM

535 posts, read 1,408,397 times
I wonder if theres any bioremidiation that can be done. Planting something that will pull the Ph up. How long ago was it that your land was converted from forest? Pine forest creates its own acidic soil to help it outcompete other species. Do you know much about your soil profile and how it's leaching? How far back do you have records of soil analysis? How is your ph changing over time?

Old 09-03-2009, 03:11 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,995,929 times
As I said, it depends on what area of the country you live in and what type of soil you have. I live in NE GA red clay country and the Chick poo worked for my soil type.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:22 PM

What was the soil test ph before you applied poultry manure?
What was the soil test ph after applying poultry manure ?

Old 09-05-2009, 06:04 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times
Land is always trying to go back to the way it naturally was. Since I live in Maine and this land was cleared in the 1800's, its been fields for a long time, but it is still trying to go back to its acidic state. It has low PH and always will...the best I can do as a farmer is to input lime to get the crops that I want to grow...to grow.

The other factor is the coal fired power plants in the midwest pumping volumes of acid rain into the sky. Due to the jet stream and our topography, it lands here which also ups our ph levels. Our wetlands have done an excellent job of filtering this ph out, but just as with a cars filter, when you don't change them they clog up and no longer filter. That is where we are today. We have pumped so much acid rain in the sky for so long that they are no longer filtering out the acid.

We do grow alfalfa here, but for me its not really worth it. We have two issues to deal with...the low PH factor and the winter-hardiness of alfalfa. As long as you plant it on the leeward side of a hill, there is enough snow cover from drifting to protect the alfalfa from being killed by the cold. That saves the alfalfa from winter kill, but low PH is always a factor. I think a mix of clovers and fescue makes a better mix, but that is just my opinion.

But while it seems farming here is silly, when it comes to pastures Maine and Vermont have the best pastures in the world. It has to do with rainfall, topography, temperatures, etc. We just have to figure out how to get a decent crop in for the livestock when the pastures go dormant in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or