U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 07:17 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times

Advertisements

This is just one of those things you can't do in the city...

Since the snow is just about all gone now, and the grass is starting to come up along with the trees budding out. I have been clearing pastures for awhile now and the sheep really love the tender buds. Naturally they were lolly-gagging around the trees I was cutting and eating the buds. I tried several times to shoo them away, but without success so I just let them eat.

When I stepped up to this one tree, I saw my ram standing there ready for the freshest morsel of tree buds. Nothing says tasty eating like tender green Hackmactack buds! Anyway I figured he was smart enough to move once the saw starting boring into the wood.

Nope:

I figured he would be smart enough to run once the tree started leaning over and falling his way.

Nope.

I figured he would run like heck once the tree hit his back.

Nope.

The Ram just looked at me, at the tree and then as it hit his back he nonchalantly started chomping on the buds. Thankfully just the limbs hit his back but I was still yelling "stupid sheep" at him, but after a bit of reflection I realized maybe he was the smart one, or at least efficient. He did not have to waste precious energy walking to his grazing, he simply let his food come to him even if it was through the air and at him at 128 miles per hour.

I also came to the conclussion that I have done some truly unique things with a chainsaw. I mean I landed a tree on a powerline last year, sawed halfway through my leg last fall, and this year I landed a tree on a sheep. I am betting very few people...even a logger/farmer like me can say they have done those three things in a years time!!

So has anyone else ever felled a tree on a sheep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 01:23 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,071,061 times
I felled a tree on my dog once. Just the tree top hit him and he squirted some glandular secretion that was the foulest smelling substance I've ever smelled. The dog was fine but it scared the (whatever it was) out of him. Yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living