U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:49 PM

252 posts, read 642,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
Sounds like your rural living is not really rural, maybe just suburbia. Rural living is very quiet. In my rural setting the loudest sounds are the winny of a horse or moo of a cow or half a dozen or so times a day a vehicle passing by and, at night, the sounds of stars blinking (now that's quiet).
As for grammar, I've heard a lot worse in the city than I've ever heard out here.
As for your life style and social 'obligations'. Your the one that decides your obligations. Rural living will not change your obligations. If it's not what you want -change it.

I hope you guys from Omaha are tracking this post. This is funny. I rest my case against you that the rest of the country doesn't register with what you would argue that rural Nebraska lacks.

Now. How do I get out of this one? Let me ask you this--Maine, Mich., and NY--Why would I want to move from a lovely rural setting if I have all of the amenities of a city PLUS the quiet of a surrounding 1000 country acres??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,884,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
I live rural and I do not feel like I am leading a 'quiet' life. I have more social obligations than you can shake a stick at--and, they are literate events.

I run around the world like a sometime traveler and my rural friends have, often, already been where I just went.

Two things that I miss about the city: I miss the lights--I loved city lights. And, I miss marveling at big buildings.

I really enjoy the internet company of fellow sojourners. I don't mind the bashing about 'rural' meaning bad grammar and racism because I do think a lot of people, out here, need to be shaken up. (I get a kick noticing the bad grammar and the veiled racism being typed in by city people. People are people wherever you go.)

I think the best thing that I do, all day, is smile at the lonely and plant more roots and bulbs, in an orderly manner.

I usually read that rural residents refer to the quiet life. Does anyone else feel that it's as noisy, out here, as it was in the city?
Yep, here you claim it is noisy. Is it quite or noisy???

Old 04-29-2009, 01:55 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,884,724 times
Quote:

I hope you guys from Omaha are tracking this post. This is funny. I rest my case against you that the rest of the country doesn't register with what you would argue that rural Nebraska lacks.

Now. How do I get out of this one? Let me ask you this--Maine, Mich., and NY--Why would I want to move from a lovely rural setting if I have all of the amenities of a city PLUS the quiet of a surrounding 1000 country acres??
Just don't move anywhere near me.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:20 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,374,115 times
Roots - Do I detect a slight sense of humor? Hope so.
It baffles me that 1000 country acres is (to paraphrase) as noisy as it was in the city - You must have a lot of deer, rabbits and red tailed hawks.
-If you enjoy city lights and marvel at tall buildings why did you move to a rural area?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:23 AM

252 posts, read 642,154 times
Quote:
OK. Ok. You're right about the decibel difference. I was ready to argue that the latte machine in my small town coffee shop is just as noisy as the one at my former Starbucks. The kids on the nearby playground and swimming pool scream and yell just as loudly as the kids in the city. But, yeah, there is nothing here that compares to the high level of sound on a freeway or even a busy street.

This is quiet. I agree.
Perhaps Driller missed reading 'on down the column.' Nevertheless, I won't be moving near him on a dare. (For one, he might be smug about over charging me to drill a well.)

I am in the middle of Kansas/Nebraska wheat farms. That's why the cultural or environmental misunderstanding came up.

My argument with Omaha is an ongoing conflict that we have on the plains. Omahans, generally, view farm country as hick more readily than their Eastern city counterparts do, like in your neck of the woods. It is hard to convince them, even with email, that we have amenities and couth out here.

Upstate NY, and Mich, and even Indiana seem very crowded to me, even in your rural areas. Therefore, the issue of 'noise' is just humorous between here and there.

I meant, by being noisy, there is plenty to do and the comment was directed towards those who drive through a vast plain and claim 'there is nothing to do, there.' And, yeah, I wanted sympathy from the crowd who also works and plays hard in the country.

Otherwise, I think Broken Tap got my meaning. My mistake about the noise issue. Meant it as a metaphor--I gotta' quit doing that.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:13 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,208 times
I got your meaning because I have spent a vast amount of time in Nebraska. Everywhere from Omaha to Alliance, from North Platte to Broken Bow. I flew so many times out of Scottsbluff and Alliance that it was scary. I even flew out of Thedford one time and you know how small that place is...

Yep, those were back in the good old railroading days...both BNSF/UPRR!

If I ever move from here, I always said I was headed to Arvada Wyoming. Now that is isolated.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:14 PM

10,528 posts, read 10,448,314 times
Well I moved out of the Washington, DC area about four years ago and about the only noise I get up here where I'm at now, is early in the morning one of my neighbors speckled rooster seems to want to let everybody know the sun is coming up at about 5:30 a.m. in the morning, of course I'm already out on the front porch letting the dogs out, so I can't complain about that...

Old 10-13-2009, 12:35 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,962,646 times
Quote:

Maybe the southern half of Mich, is crowded.(you can have it) The northern half and the UP have just as much if not more woodland than openland. It's still Farming and logging country up there.
I'm originally from NW.Mi. At night on the farm we would sit on the porch and listen to the creek running up in the north pasture.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:15 PM

139 posts, read 515,298 times
I can hear the canadian cold starting to make a pipeline down to the acreage where i live.I hear lots of wood burning to happen this winter.I hear chainsaws running to stack up some more cords.In between i have heard a silence that hightens the awareness of the auditory senses.The frogs,cicadas are silent and gone till spring.The caution of the dog and the snapping of heavy ground fall makes me aware of the big black gorging anything he can until he sleeps for months.I hear the winter coming.I can smell it.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:50 AM

302 posts, read 530,540 times
Quote:
I love it when new people move in the area, I get the impression at times that they assume they have more money than us. They get over that in a hurry, real fast if they need a well.
LOL, we knew we didn't have any money when we got here and it was even less after having the lift pump in our basement replaced, a week after we signed the escrow papers. Did you know that your home repair insurance doesn't cover that until 30 days after closing????

As for a quiet life? We are just as busy as ever with our kids and our outside commitments. There are those moments in the day though that I just stop and take in the scenery. I love living here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living