Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 05:41 PM

252 posts, read 729,991 times

Advertisements

I live rural and I do not feel like I am leading a 'quiet' life. I have more social obligations than you can shake a stick at--and, they are literate events.

I run around the world like a sometime traveler and my rural friends have, often, already been where I just went.

Two things that I miss about the city: I miss the lights--I loved city lights. And, I miss marveling at big buildings.

I really enjoy the internet company of fellow sojourners. I don't mind the bashing about 'rural' meaning bad grammar and racism because I do think a lot of people, out here, need to be shaken up. (I get a kick noticing the bad grammar and the veiled racism being typed in by city people. People are people wherever you go.)

I think the best thing that I do, all day, is smile at the lonely and plant more roots and bulbs, in an orderly manner.

I usually read that rural residents refer to the quiet life. Does anyone else feel that it's as noisy, out here, as it was in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:09 PM

17,997 posts, read 9,012,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
I live rural and I do not feel like I am leading a 'quiet' life. I have more social obligations than you can shake a stick at--and, they are literate events.

I run around the world like a sometime traveler and my rural friends have, often, already been where I just went.

Two things that I miss about the city: I miss the lights--I loved city lights. And, I miss marveling at big buildings.

I really enjoy the internet company of fellow sojourners. I don't mind the bashing about 'rural' meaning bad grammar and racism because I do think a lot of people, out here, need to be shaken up. (I get a kick noticing the bad grammar and the veiled racism being typed in by city people. People are people wherever you go.)

I think the best thing that I do, all day, is smile at the lonely and plant more roots and bulbs, in an orderly manner.

I usually read that rural residents refer to the quiet life. Does anyone else feel that it's as noisy, out here, as it was in the city?
Living in rural areas ( atleast here in Indiana) are much quieter than living in the city. I like looking at the buildings and streetlights but I like being able to look at the stars more without having some massive streetlights block my view.

I can agree with you about the grammar and racism there are some people I know here that could definetly use a good shaking.

Have you thought of moving to maybe a small city or so? Maybe that would give you a new "start"?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,217,649 times
Bad grammar?? Maybe. What is this intercity garbage that comes out of people's mouths??? It sure ain't English.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 PM

I wish I could go back and edit my sentences. LOL about grammar! I did not mean to imply that I was unhappy in the country. My point was that I do Not deem the life here, lethargic as so many would say about country life.

Re-reading my quote makes me see that, in haste to post it, it came out sounding very negative. Wow!

I meant that I would love to share that feeling of being very busy and productive as I star gaze and create a beautiful landscape with my many plantings.

I do not lack for friends, out here. And, these friends are terrific company. Their conversations are about places and events and new things. I do not lack for activity: between Book Club and a demanding business and profession, I am always on the run.

Now---I would like to hear from others who live a busy country life and, like their city counterparts, spend some (not all) of the day on the porch swing.
The difference being that it is MIGHTY quiet from my porch, after sundown.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:28 PM

In the summer we work 14 to 16 hours a day drilling water wells. We also work many week-ends. If we do not drilling on the week-ends, we wash equipment. I have been out at 2 AM washing the rig so we did not take it out on a job dirty. This goes on mid April until late November.

I love it when new people move in the area, I get the impression at times that they assume they have more money than us. They get over that in a hurry, real fast if they need a well.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:37 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,507,608 times
I doubt there is a city-dweller that is more active then I am. My day begins around 02:00 and ends about 19:00. After an hour or two of talking with the wife and kids then its off to bed around 21:00, but being a full-time farmer means I am busier then most.

To elaborate on the time thing, I belong to only one or two organizations because all the ones I belong to want you to volunteer time...something I do not have! In fact if the Soil and Water Conservation District wants me to do something, or the Maine Sheep Breeders Association, then it boils down to what I am going to set aside for that time period in order to help them. I belong to only these two organizations because of that reason.

As for noise, you are kidding right? I have spent a few nights at my sister-in-laws house in Portland, Maine and I thought I was going deaf. The police cars, ambulances, trucks, traffic and people yelling in apartments next door...wow it was loud. Here I heard a noise the other day and realized I left the radio on in my shop located 100 feet away from the house. It is that quiet here. From 02:00 to 04:30 there are 4 cars that go by my house and I know each one of them personally and where they are headed.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:03 AM

OK. Ok. You're right about the decibel difference. I was ready to argue that the latte machine in my small town coffee shop is just as noisy as the one at my former Starbucks. The kids on the nearby playground and swimming pool scream and yell just as loudly as the kids in the city. But, yeah, there is nothing here that compares to the high level of sound on a freeway or even a busy street.

This is quiet. I agree.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:25 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,534,767 times
Sounds like your rural living is not really rural, maybe just suburbia. Rural living is very quiet. In my rural setting the loudest sounds are the winny of a horse or moo of a cow or half a dozen or so times a day a vehicle passing by and, at night, the sounds of stars blinking (now that's quiet).
As for grammar, I've heard a lot worse in the city than I've ever heard out here.
As for your life style and social 'obligations'. Your the one that decides your obligations. Rural living will not change your obligations. If it's not what you want -change it.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
OK. Ok. You're right about the decibel difference. I was ready to argue that the latte machine in my small town coffee shop is just as noisy as the one at my former Starbucks. The kids on the nearby playground and swimming pool scream and yell just as loudly as the kids in the city. But, yeah, there is nothing here that compares to the high level of sound on a freeway or even a busy street.

This is quiet. I agree.
HUMMMM........We live on 100 acres 1/16 mile off of a seasonal road. Those rabbits and deer can be loud however, it is the crickets that will get to ya.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:41 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,534,767 times
The rush of air over the wings of a red tail hawk cruising the skies for it's next meal is deafening. Will have to get me some ear plugs << oops bad grammar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living