U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 PM

186 posts, read 387,322 times

Advertisements

Paducah, KY is a small town that is heading in that direction. Lots of artists moving in to vacant spaces and rehabing them.

Paducah Convention & Visitors Bureau

I love the idea and sometimes wish I was living away from the hustle of the city. The biggest problem is how do you support yourself in such small towns, jobs can be scarce and its hard to sell your art without traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 07:08 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
In Indiana the ones that own these brick downtown buildings don't want to sell them at reasonable prices for others to fix up. Downtowns could be brought back with arts, neighborhood food joints that offered sidewalk seating as well, home shops and even loft living. Too many old family ties to communities that have held control & money don't want to give way for "different" thinking.

So the buildings sit year after year empty deteriorating until a mayor or city council goes to court to seek it's demolish. Sad.

The old we are going to revive downtown until become a hazard and then they find out how much just abestos removal cost in oreder to tearthem down. Unless they spoendd some money to maintain them some they just go to waste on big plan by people with no money often.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:36 AM

252 posts, read 642,154 times
I think that many of these buildings are also in excellent locations--proximity to post offices and grocery stores PLUS, as we grow older, isn't it likely that we like to just WATCH activity.

My mother went to an assisted living complex that is absolutely beautiful. And, the staff is so kind. BUT, it's parked way out away from the life of this little town.

What if the one-story, modern living complexes were built in the downtown area and the old, red bricks were more accessible as creative enterprises??

Something to think about, in the future.

Larger cities have retirement homes with sports bars and travel offices. Perhaps this could be done on a very, small scale on these Main Sts.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:04 PM

7,940 posts, read 16,465,238 times
I tend not to think of Paducah as a 'classic' small town. They're the commercial hub for about a 50 mile radius around town to the point where they've got an average-sized mall and all kind of big box stores out by the highway. They're also the home of the big regional medical center for that little corner of the world.

In that area, I see Metropolis, IL or Mayfield KY as more properly small small towns.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:30 PM

186 posts, read 387,322 times
Are there any good resources that list industrial, loft, or unconventional spaces that could be used for live/work type arrangements? Somewhere to have your home and your gallery or workspace. I'm thinking along the lines of an abandoned fire station or small factory. Preferably in a smaller town or city that hasn't been overrun with trust fund kids and yuppies.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:35 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,410,349 times
I see you are in CA so this might not apply since I am in KS but we have been looking for a house in a smaller town and I have came across properties on the realtor's individual websites. Most of what I saw were businesses in downtowns that are no longer thriving. I have seen 2 such situations in the last couple days in KS and they are very attempting because you can venture into a lot of possibilities and always have a roof over your head. I don't know of a single resource that would list such a thing though.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,965,628 times
Default Loft Living in Small Towns

The term "small towns" conjures up images of rural America. Therefore, lofts are the upper areas of the barns. So loft living means sleeping in piles of hay.

Not my idea of a viable lifestyle.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:19 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,410,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The term "small towns" conjures up images of rural America. Therefore, lofts are the upper areas of the barns. So loft living means sleeping in piles of hay.

Not my idea of a viable lifestyle.
Seriously, the places I saw were very nice and in the small town not on the farm. The upper level of the building was transformed into a lovely 3 bedroom loft and the lower level was used as a business space. It is actually becoming quite popular. In SE KS, they had converted the older second levels of a couple of the businesses downtown into nice living quarters that they were renting out. I think it is a sort of cool recycling effort to save some of the smaller towns.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 PM

18,288 posts, read 20,811,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think it is a sort of cool recycling effort to save some of the smaller towns.
Plus to save an old building and bring it back to life. Old buildings have more chacter than newer buildings to me at least.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:56 AM

5,876 posts, read 5,357,112 times
Oh, shhhhh - be quiet! This is MY idea!

I've been small-town building hunting in IA and MN. Some of those upstairs apartments/lofts are BEAUTIFUL! But they're usually in poor condition.

Aside from the renovation costs, the other downside I've been observing is that in many small towns these buildings with lofts are too close to the other businesses active in the evenings in small towns - bars and saloons. And they're usually on Main Street, which in many cases is a rural highway or at any rate a location without much lot space for a yard.

There's also the re-sale value issue - there are those of us who love small towns and would enjoy loft life here - but I don't think there are too many buyers like us. There's a renovated store with loft apartment in a small town in southern MN that someone's been trying to sell (it's on realtor.com) for nearly two years.

It's still a cool concept. Don't spread the word or prices will go up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living