U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 02:05 AM

4,840 posts, read 11,030,492 times

Advertisements

I've seen loft living get popular in smaller towns here in CA. They are usually in the downtowns. However the college town has a lot more spread throughout the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,000 times
Default Loft Work/Living Space for Sale in Iowa

Hi - re: Loft apartments. If you are interested in a large commercial building in a small rural community (pop. approx.6500) check out a multi-level space with tons of character at 24 S. 6th Street in Estherville, Iowa. Over 5200 square feet with partial tin ceiling and partial wood floors, plus new roof end of 2014. Perfect for retail, business coop, bookstore, non-profit. Also, in path of downtown development. Possibilities are endless. Feel free to contact me for more info: Theresa at tfasearcher2@yahoo.com

Old 04-03-2017, 02:32 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,901,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I see you are in CA so this might not apply since I am in KS but we have been looking for a house in a smaller town and I have came across properties on the realtor's individual websites. Most of what I saw were businesses in downtowns that are no longer thriving. I have seen 2 such situations in the last couple days in KS and they are very attempting because you can venture into a lot of possibilities and always have a roof over your head. I don't know of a single resource that would list such a thing though.
I lived in socal all my life up until I moved to Oklahoma. We'd tried to move to norcal from socal when husband was around, but it didn't work out. But we both wanted out of the rush and traffic and smog. I got into a nice apartment with reduced rent (I'm disabled) but then it was sold and rent went up, apartments emptied and got filled with the local methheads. I still really wanted out of surberbia and was going to visit a friend in Oklahoma.

I first saw my house while visiting this friend who'd moved here from Florida, but after I left the idea that I just might be able to afford it was born. Family would help to help get me out of methhead haven. I'd found it before after the first trip to the first convention the year before. I found the same house on the nation/international homes for sale boards, realator dot com I believe. Try there for business's for sale. I followed it for months, as the price dropped and I thought on the idea and talked to my friends. I finally asked the family for some help.

That spring, I had to be at our small Jericho convention early as I was running something, and came out to my friend's place. And looked at the house. And before I left, our offer had been accepted. It needed work, but I went back to my rapidly less comfortable apartment and getting ready to move.

There were empties in town which might have made good investments, but after the 3.5, fraking caused quake there was a lot of damage. Beware of areas where fraking is going on and the housing/buildings are nearing a century.

But if you don't mind some isolation and having to drive to the next bigger town for more stores, moving to little towns can work great. And if you could contribute to reviving the downtown all the better. Just get used to having to make a trip out of many things you have considered close, and everything but Walmart closing very early.

I am thinking of moving if the value of my house hasn't crumbled, but it would be to aother place without crowds and the need for everyone to rush all the time.

Last edited by nightbird47; 04-03-2017 at 02:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living