U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2009, 01:33 PM
 
Location: USA
65 posts, read 23,703 times
Reputation: 40

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
maybe the drought has less affect on Amish due to the low planting population rates many of them use.

Planting at 16,000 kernals per acre takes less rainfall to produce a crop than planting 30,000 plants per acre.

However, in a normal year the 16,000 planting rate will yield much less bushels.

Most farmers plant based on normal years , cuz to plant every year "in case" a drought hits is not profitable.
Thank you soooo much for your EXPERT OPINION.
I started to wonder if one could truly calculate crop yields w/o considering the Jesus Factor, until I read your posting

And yet again it proves that once you remove the shroud of mysticism and secrecy, all that's left are hard facts and straight forward explanations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2009, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,490 posts, read 38,410,774 times
Reputation: 23086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joghurta View Post
Thank you soooo much for your EXPERT OPINION.
I started to wonder if one could truly calculate crop yields w/o considering the Jesus Factor, until I read your posting

And yet again it proves that once you remove the shroud of mysticism and secrecy, all that's left are hard facts and straight forward explanations.

Okay, you've totally lost me on this one. What Jesus factor? What shroud of mysticism and secrecy?

I detect an agenda. Care to bring it out in the open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 02:04 PM
 
Location: USA
65 posts, read 23,703 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, you've totally lost me on this one. What Jesus factor? What shroud of mysticism and secrecy?

I detect an agenda. Care to bring it out in the open?
If u detect an agenda, then u tell us what it is.
Since I ain't no mind reader, specially not in cyber space, I can't possibly figure out what you think you detected here - can u?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 02:07 PM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
Reputation: 8170
I don't recognize the posting name------"Joghurta----- but sounds like someone has an axe to grind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 PM
 
Location: USA
65 posts, read 23,703 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I don't recognize the posting name------"Joghurta----- but sounds like someone has an axe to grind.
I don't recognize the posting name------"marmac----- but sounds like someone has an axe to grind - or just wants to start a b*tch fight to make the time pass by faster.
So much for peace and tranquility in Amish country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,490 posts, read 38,410,774 times
Reputation: 23086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joghurta View Post
If u detect an agenda, then u tell us what it is.
Since I ain't no mind reader, specially not in cyber space, I can't possibly figure out what you think you detected here - can u?
What I detected was a prejudice against the Amish (or against people who don't use all the bells and whistles of "modern" agriculture, one or the other or perhaps yet a third, I'm not a mind reader either, I just see what's posted here). Was just wondering what the very obviously there back story was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 03:00 PM
 
Location: USA
65 posts, read 23,703 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What I detected was a prejudice against the Amish (or against people who don't use all the bells and whistles of "modern" agriculture, one or the other or perhaps yet a third, I'm not a mind reader either, I just see what's posted here). Was just wondering what the very obviously there back story was.
What I detected was a prejudice against people who dare to question common semi-religiously based prejudice against modern science and common sense approaches to technology (or against people who dare to question sacred, yet scientifically unsustainable, believes of those who always want to convince us of the "good old ways of the good old days" - despite the fact those those old day ways were everything but "good").

And still you say you're not a mind reader, but continue to act like you are.
So why do you need to wonder about a supposed "back story", if you claim its so darn obvious at the same time?

Fact is plants care about nutrients and rainfall. Soil acidity and parasites.
Genetic diversity and year round temperatures.
What they do not care about are the religious believes of the people who plant them or the technological hostilities of those who plan to eat them.

If that news is so upsetting to you that you feel obliged to go on a rampage against the messenger, then just run along.
Evolution has a cliff reserved for the likes of you to drop off from to help strengthen the gene pool.

I apologize if I come back strong here, but in a world that is drowning in problems and challenges, the false promises of religious simpletons are not helping, but only adding to the troubles.

I wish the Amish well in their pursuit of a simple(r) way of life, but theirs is a matter of personal choice.
Not an issue of hidden supremacy in lifestyle or secret solutions to the problems we face in the 21st century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,490 posts, read 38,410,774 times
Reputation: 23086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joghurta View Post
What I detected was a prejudice against people who dare to question common semi-religiously based prejudice against modern science and common sense approaches to technology (or against people who dare to question sacred, yet scientifically unsustainable, believes of those who always want to convince us of the "good old ways of the good old days" - despite the fact those those old day ways were everything but "good").

And still you say you're not a mind reader, but continue to act like you are.
So why do you need to wonder about a supposed "back story", if you claim its so darn obvious at the same time?

Fact is plants care about nutrients and rainfall. Soil acidity and parasites.
Genetic diversity and year round temperatures.
What they do not care about are the religious believes of the people who plant them or the technological hostilities of those who plan to eat them.

If that news is so upsetting to you that you feel obliged to go on a rampage against the messenger, then just run along.
Evolution has a cliff reserved for the likes of you to drop off from to help strengthen the gene pool.

I apologize if I come back strong here, but in a world that is drowning in problems and challenges, the false promises of religious simpletons are not helping, but only adding to the troubles.

I wish the Amish well in their pursuit of a simple(r) way of life, but theirs is a matter of personal choice.
Not an issue of hidden supremacy in lifestyle or secret solutions to the problems we face in the 21st century.
Ah. It's an anti-religion religion. Got it. (Been there, seen that, see precious little between the two points of view from any real perspective, they both have roots in similar human needs to be "right" and to "have the answer" that is better than the next guy's answer.)

You are most definitely NOT a mind-reader if you think that anything I think about agriculture is based on religion or that anyone has all the answers. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm one of those annoying people who researches the heck out of things from as many angles as I can and then weighs all the evidence.

It appears that you are viewing everything said that doesn't appear to line up with your belief system through your own bias. Sounds to me like the classic definition of a religious fanatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 03:32 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 85,116,437 times
Reputation: 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joghurta View Post
What I detected was a prejudice against people who dare to question common semi-religiously based prejudice against modern science and common sense approaches to technology (or against people who dare to question sacred, yet scientifically unsustainable, believes of those who always want to convince us of the "good old ways of the good old days" - despite the fact those those old day ways were everything but "good").

And still you say you're not a mind reader, but continue to act like you are.
So why do you need to wonder about a supposed "back story", if you claim its so darn obvious at the same time?

Fact is plants care about nutrients and rainfall. Soil acidity and parasites.
Genetic diversity and year round temperatures.
What they do not care about are the religious believes of the people who plant them or the technological hostilities of those who plan to eat them.

If that news is so upsetting to you that you feel obliged to go on a rampage against the messenger, then just run along.
Evolution has a cliff reserved for the likes of you to drop off from to help strengthen the gene pool.

I apologize if I come back strong here, but in a world that is drowning in problems and challenges, the false promises of religious simpletons are not helping, but only adding to the troubles.

I wish the Amish well in their pursuit of a simple(r) way of life, but theirs is a matter of personal choice.
Not an issue of hidden supremacy in lifestyle or secret solutions to the problems we face in the 21st century.

Ah'the questioner that doesn;t want to be questioned for his/her statements. But always gives themselfs away when you keep asking;he's anti-religious.Resaon for the posting on one family that are religious instead of all the violations that occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2009, 03:50 PM
 
Location: USA
65 posts, read 23,703 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Ah. It's an anti-religion religion. Got it.
The only thing you "got" was to much airtime with "The "700 club".
Despite what folks like Pat Robertson tell you there are Atheists in Fox Holes and people can live a religion free live happily ever after.
And no, atheists do no pray to Charles Darwin, not even in the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
(Been there, seen that, see precious little between the two points of view from any real perspective, they both have roots in similar human needs to be "right" and to "have the answer" that is better than the next guy's answer.)
fRom what I read here, you're still there and it doesn't help your point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm one of those annoying people who researches the heck out of things from as many angles as I can and then weighs all the evidence.
You are annoying I give you that. But as far as evidence is concerned, (semi-)religious convictions about "the good old days" don't count here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Sounds to me like the classic definition of a religious fanatic.
Sorry to disappoint you, but I can 150% assure you that we're not related.
Neither biologically nor spiritually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:23 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top