U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 03:53 PM

65 posts, read 23,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Ah'the questioner that doesn;t want to be questioned for his/her statements. But always gives themselfs away when you keep asking;he's anti-religious.Resaon for the posting on one family that are religious instead of all the violations that occur.
Yes I confess. I had lunch with Satan just yesterday and as usual he convinced me that progress is good for you, that the world is much older than 5400 years and that artificial fertilizer has done more to combat world hunger than all the prayers of eternity.
Yep you got me there. I actually do care more for the stomachs of the living than the souls of the dead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 04:09 PM

20,557 posts, read 38,449,405 times
You're making HUGE assumptions here. I'd think, as someone who appears to prefer the scientific approach over the religious, that you'd realize what assuming does.

Nope, no 700 Club. You're talking to someone who, yes, read the Bible (first word to last, only way to read it to get context and historical connection) but read Darwin in the 4th grade.

The fact that I disagree with you does not mean that I fall into the category in which you are determined, because it's the only place you seem to have for someone who doesn't agree with you, to put me. Somewhat akin to trying to put a child's coat on a man who's 6'5" just because you, in your infinite wisdom, think it MUST fit.

And, with that, I'm done. I really do know better than to argue with religious fanatics of whatever stripe.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:56 PM

65 posts, read 23,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You're making HUGE assumptions here. I'd think, as someone who appears to prefer the scientific approach over the religious, that you'd realize what assuming does.

Nope, no 700 Club. You're talking to someone who, yes, read the Bible (first word to last, only way to read it to get context and historical connection) but read Darwin in the 4th grade.

The fact that I disagree with you does not mean that I fall into the category in which you are determined, because it's the only place you seem to have for someone who doesn't agree with you, to put me. Somewhat akin to trying to put a child's coat on a man who's 6'5" just because you, in your infinite wisdom, think it MUST fit.

And, with that, I'm done. I really do know better than to argue with religious fanatics of whatever stripe.
Well at least that should prevent you from talking to yourself to much (hopefully).
I also read the Bible on a regular basis (and the Qu'ran and the Torah and and and...)
But that still doesn't make me into religious delusionic who fantasizes about some inherent mysticism which supposedly makes the corn grow taller and the grain taste better on good ol'boy Amish fields.

As I said I wish the Amish all the luck in the world, but the silly hostility towards modern agricultural methods portrayed in this thread by some, proves to me yet again that the world is full of hypocrites who have no trouble enjoying the benefits of a technology behind closed doors that they rile and rave against in public 24/7.

I love farm machinery. Every time I drive by a highly mechanized farm house I feel reassured once more that there shall be bread for me and my loved ones.

Whenever I pass a fertilizer factory on the highway I remember the tales of famine and woe I read in the history books, knowing that my generation shall not have to suffer through such agony.

When I see the desert bloom thanks to an irrigation pipe, then I feel like falling down on my knees to thank the scientists and engineers who helped us make the dream of countless prophets come true.

Progress is my "religion" if you want to call it that - and my "god" is food on the table and light in the lamp.
A clinic in every town and a school for every village.

My kind of crusades are fought with paper & pencil.
Yours are the ones fought with fire & sword.
I know which ones I prefer!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:46 PM

804 posts, read 1,754,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Of course, the explanation was obvious to me. Because of the antiquated farming systems they were using (developed long before the "common agricultural practices" of the modern time), and the way they took care of their land, it was able to hold what moisture there was much better and their crops survived better. And thus they survived better. The crops of those who depended on the modern practices weren't doing so well, in comparison.
Wait wait... something that THL and I agree on! Must be a sign of the times

Kudos to the farmer above who said he uses urea and lime, those were used on farms where I grew up as well. Many considered those to be "safer".

Old 05-16-2009, 03:43 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,160,892 times
I think one of the reasons the Amish probably made out better during the drought was the varieties of crops they were growing. They tend to grow more heritage varieties, and types of crops that are no longer commercially viable. I cannot think of the name of that wheat at the moment (not enough coffee) but there is a type of wheat they grow that has grain half the size of commercial wheat , and while it is useless for commercial applications, it is ideal for what they use it for.

I would think these kinds of heritage breeds that have naturally evolved over the years are more drought tolerant then the larger, denser, high populations per acre commercial farms. At the same time, I would think their use of organic matter as fertilizer would also help retain some of that moisture in a drought.

As for the Amish themselves, we are not that different. They remind me of what my family was like 50 years ago. They moved here a year ago and have done nothing but good since arriving.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:37 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,160,892 times
As I drove by their place last night I forgot about last years story that involved us and the Amish, and it kind of shows those reading this that they should do well here, that is as long as they are willing to learn from US.

_______

Well they came here late in the season and they were struggling to get their hay in before the season was lost. Here winter comes quick and this was in the end of October when snow can fly at anytime. Anyway they were up against it and borrowed a farmers tractor to get the hay in.

As they came down this steep hill, something let go in the tractors transmission and it kicked out of gear. The tractor, baler and hay wagon went down a steep hill, crashed through a rock wall, ran out into the woods and hit a tree and literally broke the frame in half. So the Amish ran home, got dressed up in their Sunday best, came and knocked on the door of the farmer and told him what happened. Then they said...

"As we speak, we are getting teams of horses together to pull that tractor out of the swamp and just as soon as we get the parts it will be put back together..."

The farmer just laughed. He shook his head at the idea and said, "That tractor isn't going anywhere, why don't you grab my other tractor and finish your haying while the weather holds and fix the tractor this winter?"

The point here is, while the Amish were trying to do right, I don't think they have worked and lived around a group of people that understands "things happen" and that the season is short here. A person's handshake is ten times more valuable then a written contract and that is where the Amish now live. We harbor no contempt for them. We are both farmers struggling to farm in a god-awful spot of earth.

They have a lot to learn from us, but we (the area farmers) look forward to teaching them, and in turn they can teach us some things as well. Nothing but good can from them, but as I said, they must be willing to learn from us as well, and so far I think they are doing just fine.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,809,319 times
This reminds me of around here.I was telling the Tax Collector that I shouldn't pay so much on Taxes because I don't have running water.She says you know its against the Law to have an Outhouse? Then she went on to say nothing would happen unless someone complained about it.

My Daughter came to visit one time.She asked were the Restroom was? I pointed down the path.She didn't go.Little while later I asked if she wanted to go to the Store with me?Yea.We get there she asked if they had a Restroom? I pointed down the path WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE!! Then get this she just squats by the Pickup by the store and goes I can't see how that was better than going to the Outhouse.

hillman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living