U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:16 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,675,816 times

Advertisements

This whole thing with the FDA and Cheerios is a little over the top for me. Another case of common sense not applying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 09:37 AM

7,543 posts, read 15,690,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
This kind of gets my dander up as I have had this distaste for medicines for many years. I will take meds as needed, but I am not the type of person that just takes a pill because my back hurts, or I have a headache or because I have a cold. I try to look at it from a cause and affect sort of thing.
And I see it the other way, as the FDA trying to keep "snake oil" claims down. In this particular case, they were just trying to get General Mills to make a label change on the box - General Mills (a company I admittedly have no sympathy for, because 95% of their other products are sugar- and high-fructose-ridden junk) is the one making a huge deal out of it.

As far as American being smart enough to know the difference - I love my country and the people in it, but we can be some seriously silly sheep sometimes, lured by advertising and ESPECIALLY by "take this pill! and you'll be thin/healthy/beautiful!" At least at this point the advertisers have to add the "not evaluated by the FDA" disclaimer to let you know that there is little science or testing behind their claims. The point of the proposed cereal box change is to differentiate between an actual drug used to treat a condition and a food component that is part of a healthy and nutritious diet.

Does that mean I trust government science, and especially pharmaceutical science? Not particularly, as drug companies, FIRST AND FOREMOST, exist to make a lot of money for shareholders.

I'd agree that a healthy diet is the number one effective step people can take in their best interests. But the Cheerios box label change won't change that.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:35 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
And I see it the other way, as the FDA trying to keep "snake oil" claims down. In this particular case, they were just trying to get General Mills to make a label change on the box - General Mills (a company I admittedly have no sympathy for, because 95% of their other products are sugar- and high-fructose-ridden junk) is the one making a huge deal out of it.

As far as American being smart enough to know the difference - I love my country and the people in it, but we can be some seriously silly sheep sometimes, lured by advertising and ESPECIALLY by "take this pill! and you'll be thin/healthy/beautiful!" At least at this point the advertisers have to add the "not evaluated by the FDA" disclaimer to let you know that there is little science or testing behind their claims. The point of the proposed cereal box change is to differentiate between an actual drug used to treat a condition and a food component that is part of a healthy and nutritious diet.

Does that mean I trust government science, and especially pharmaceutical science? Not particularly, as drug companies, FIRST AND FOREMOST, exist to make a lot of money for shareholders.

I'd agree that a healthy diet is the number one effective step people can take in their best interests. But the Cheerios box label change won't change that.
I agree with the Snake Oil claims, but at some point the Truth In Advertising laws need to come into play and the FDA backs down and let other powers that be take over.

But I respect what you say completely...well except for the anti-General Mills part of it...the Founder of General Mills was a Washburn and originally from Maine...I live in Maine so you can probably put the connection together.

I will say, General Mills has never forgot where their roots came from...farmers.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:18 AM

263 posts, read 670,170 times
there is a book by Paul A. Stitt called 'beating the food giants", where he addresses cereal manufacturers. they are huge multi-nationals and are not out to do us any personal favors.
i don't think extruded cereals are good for us. nor puffed grain cereals. my vote is for good, old fashioned oatmeal that has to be cooked. it is even better for you if you soak it overnight first, as it makes it more digestible.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:16 AM

They are more family then you know, they never forgot where they came from nor what it takes to bring food to their plants. They make a profit from it for sure, but companies are supposed to. Some companies just forget their roots. This company is not one of them and the State of Maine, and the Washburn family as a whole, supports them and all they do for the American Farmer.

Incidentally Cadwallader Washburn and his brothers made a huge impact on this country, from his brother being Lincoln's speech writer, to being Governor's in both Maine and Wisconsin. They certainly gave back to society over the years and have a museum dedicated to all they did in Livermore, Maine.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:37 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,536,988 times
BT I've tried to give you reps for your postings here, but of course (even tho I haven't given ANY reps in over a week!) it says "you must spread reps around before...". Sigh. Stupid reps.

I don't eat most processed cereals; but when I do I eat either Cheerios or Shredded Wheat. Just can't stand the other stuff, and it does me no good. If it isn't oatmeal, I rarely eat breakfast cereal - I prefer fruit and eggs and sausage and bacon, especially when I have a long day of physical labor ahead of me!

I also don't buy into the whole cholesterol thing and never did. So many processes - including bodily functions - negate the hype of "good" and "bad" cholesterol. Some cooking processes can actually change 'good' to 'bad' cholestorol when ingested! My attitude is simply this - the less processed something is, the better it is for you. I have a serious aversion to "pre-chewed food". When I was having soooo many medical issues, no one knew why, the docs just kept sending me in for surgery after surgery to remove the infected parts. A pathologist said finally - "Oh, you have systemic lupus" as if it of course made sense. He told me to change my eating habits and stop eating the overprocessed, cheap, and readily available crud and raise and make my own food. Sure enough, as my habits have changed, I have had far less incidents. I don't do pills either if I can help it. The treatment for lupus is steroids, and I - REFUSE.

Unfortunately, people ARE stupid. When you consider that newspapers have had to drop their writing levels to fourth grade comprehension; and that fella who won the huge lawsuit because he put his RV on autopilot to go into the back of it, and was furious that it crashed; and even cardboard boxes have print on them that says, "this hole is not a handle" or "plastic wrapping is not a toy" - well, you can pretty much assume that there was a reason, and probably a lawsuit, because some mouth breather had no common sense. And the FDA, OSHA, and all of the government agencies have bureaucrats employed who do nothing but sit around and try to tell those folk with those fourth grade reading levels what is good for them. Stupidity and self-enforced ignorance is a profit source for those who are only slightly more educated. "In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

Be nice if we went back to a world of common sense, and let Darwin rule. But there's too many self-inflicted fools out there, and too many to take advantrage of them - especially in government office.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:24 PM

I think it is Bostitch nails that says "place pointy end down before use." I think they put that on there as tongue-in-cheek humor but in todays world you never can tell.

Don't worry about the reps thing. It's nice getting them but I pretty much say what I say and let it go at that. I will say that I appreciate everyone that has ever repped me as it is nice to show others you agree with them. I am all about positive reinforcement.

My eating habits are actually pretty poor. I am not overweight, but because I am a workaholic in an occupation that has no end to the workload, I tend to burn far more calories then I consume. While logging I will often literally run out of energy because I have not had enough to eat. I seldom eat breakfast, and may eat lunch depending on what I am doing. Its not uncommon to actually eat my first meal of the day at 3PM (15:00) which for me is a full 12-13 hours after my day starts.

My family lived to be pretty darn old even though they farmed hard in the summer and worked the woods in the winter. They ate bacon and lard by the barrel full (literally), but I don't think logging with axes and crosscut saws caused that stuff to clog up the arteries a whole lot.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:02 PM

263 posts, read 670,170 times
bt,
are you actually saying that you get up to work at 3 a.m. and don't stop to eat until 3 p.m.? are you running on caffiene?
you can't possibly be working at peak efficiency without any fuel for what, 18 hours? farming and logging are dangerous, and your brain and body need fuel to work right and keep you safe. now i am going to worry about you.
recognizing poor eating habits is at least a step in the right direction i guess.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:28 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,503,915 times
THE FDA has a history of labeling food products or entire sectors as bad for you only to recant the conclusions years later. After all this is an entity that relies on pharmaceutical (sp?) testing data from the very company that is producing that drug to determine if a drug is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or