U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:05 AM

31,146 posts, read 50,304,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
A place like twilight describes sounds perfect to me, too. I have visited coastal Maine, and really enjoyed it - beautiful views, friendly people, small towns, and a relaxed pace. But I have only been there in late summer/early fall. I'm curious about what it's like the rest of the year. How brutal are the winters? And do some areas get congested during the summer vacation season?

We moved to Maine in 2005. We live inland in central Penobscot county.

'05 and '06 winters we were able to handle the snow using a broom to sweep off our steps. And had a shovel but never used it.

We have a long straight driveway, so when we got a dusting I drove up and down the driveway a few times to pack it all down.

'07 winter was the same until April. In April we were hit with a 18 inch dump. It took 3 of us to shovel our driveway all day long, and it convinced me that we needed the proper piece of equipment to handle moving snow. In case such a dump happened to us again.

'08 [this past winter] we had a series of around a dozen snow dumps of 6 to 8 inches each.

Many of our neighbors have an old pickup truck with a snow blade mounted on it. They are not registered, and they are only started up in the winter. Their sole purpose is to clear snow from their driveways [during the winters when we do have snow].

This last winter we burned about 4 cords of wood [plus a dozen 55-gallon drums full of woodchips] in heating our home.

This past winter has been the most 'brutal' of Maine winters that we have experienced.

We drive front-wheel-drive cars which work wonderfully in this region.

We like it here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Whoa! That's a little chilly
It was a 'photo op'

Old 05-20-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile
... A little more congested than in January, but not drastically so. LOL- I think about "congested" in my town, which amounts to 3 or more vehicles on Main Street at the same time (tight street, parking on both sides, the vehicles travelling through have to kind of take turns..) and realize that congested may have many different meanings in Maine.
Last week I had to go to a funeral, driving through Old Town their traffic light had died. One way had solid green lights, the other sides both had red, and it was not changing. Since one way is coming down a slope and has a bend to it, the green lighted traffic was shooting pass at a good speed. So it was not safe to try and run the red lights [due to restricted visibility]. I sat and sat until a local LEO came out and manually switched the control box so the lights began flashing red all around. It was congested [by our standards]. I had 2 cars waiting behind me. They likely backed up a total of a dozen vehicles.

It was a mess [by Maine standards].

Old 05-20-2009, 10:20 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,766 times
I remember in 1998 I came home from working on the railroad in CA. I was wearing a T shirt in 60º weather and they thought I was crazy. I flew home at Christmas to -22º, and while I was home for my two week vacation, it got up to -4º as a high in those weeks.

The last few years have been pretty mild, but ask any Mainer that has lived through the Ice Storm of 1998, the snow of 1993, the Blizzard of 1957 and a few other memorable winters and you do get a better appreciation for Maine winters.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a slower relaxed  place to call home.-windy-tractor-small.jpg  

Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 AM

167 posts, read 770,174 times
You could probably look into the whole state of WV. Many towns like you described.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:35 PM

4,259 posts, read 9,881,562 times
Here's a few more thoughts from places I've been through and sometimes dealt with recently, of towns (almost) too small for Wal-Mart, and not suburban, but with a grocery store at least:

Elkhorn City, KY
Whitesburg, KY (might be a little too urban for you LOL, but seems like a nice place)
Oakland, MD
Addison, NY
Canisteo, NY
Cincinnatus, NY
DeRuyter, NY
Mount Morris, NY
Moravia, NY
Montour Falls, NY
Penn Yan, NY (might be a bit big, but still no Wal-Mart)
Blossburg, PA
Brockway, PA
Coudersport, PA
Duncannon, PA
Elkland, PA
Emporium, PA
Gratz, PA
Lehighton, PA
Liverpool, PA
McConnellsburg, PA
Mifflintown, PA
Millersburg, PA
Millerstown, PA
Meyersdale, PA
Montrose, PA
Mount Union, PA
Newport, PA
Newville, PA
Portage, PA
Orbisonia, PA
Renovo, PA
Ridgway, PA
Saxton, PA
Troy, PA
Weatherly, PA
Williamsburg, PA
Keyser, WV
Marlinton, WV
Pineville, WV
Romney, WV

Old 05-20-2009, 04:19 PM

266 posts, read 785,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Here's a few more thoughts from places I've been through and sometimes dealt with recently, of towns (almost) too small for Wal-Mart, and not suburban, but with a grocery store at least:

Elkhorn City, KY
Whitesburg, KY (might be a little too urban for you LOL, but seems like a nice place)
Oakland, MD
Addison, NY
Canisteo, NY
Cincinnatus, NY
DeRuyter, NY
Mount Morris, NY
Moravia, NY
Montour Falls, NY
Penn Yan, NY (might be a bit big, but still no Wal-Mart)
Blossburg, PA
Brockway, PA
Coudersport, PA
Duncannon, PA
Elkland, PA
Emporium, PA
Gratz, PA
Lehighton, PA
Liverpool, PA
McConnellsburg, PA
Mifflintown, PA
Millersburg, PA
Millerstown, PA
Meyersdale, PA
Montrose, PA
Mount Union, PA
Newport, PA
Newville, PA
Portage, PA
Orbisonia, PA
Renovo, PA
Ridgway, PA
Saxton, PA
Troy, PA
Weatherly, PA
Williamsburg, PA
Keyser, WV
Marlinton, WV
Pineville, WV
Romney, WV
wow thanks for your suggestions!

Old 05-23-2009, 11:56 AM

52 posts, read 231,084 times
Schoharie NY, Cobleskill NY, Duanesbug NY, Northern Columbia County NY (Kinderhook). All quiet country settings with their own supermarkets and basics. All within 45 minutes of Albany metro, major shopping, and Amtrak.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:49 PM

13,611 posts, read 26,049,891 times
I assume employment isn't an issue?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,124 times
I have the perfect place for youl. Marks, Mississippi. One hour from Memphis with everything you need. Safe, children play in the streets. 15 minutes from Clarksdale, Mississippi, the home of the blues. Beautiful sunsets, the friendliest people in the world. Cotton, soybeans, slow pace, everybody knows your name. REal estate is cheap. Water bills run about $20 a month. Not a traffic light in the whole county. Barbeque, beer, perfrect place for a writer or someone who wants to have safe, country living with all the amenities nearby. You can north and find a big city- west and find a small town. Marks--population 1500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living