U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 06:53 PM

266 posts, read 785,412 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am looking for a small town somewhere on the east coast. I dont mind snow but i also do not mind heat. What im not keen on is lightening. I dont like having severe thunderstorms on a regular basis. Im looking for a the small towns that i read about that usually do not exist. lol. I would like a town that is secluded like forks washington but i would like less people (i saw that its estimated population is 3k-4k people). A great place i would like to live in (that does not exist mind you) would be from the sookie stackhouse series called bon temp. Pretty much everyone knows everyone. There is a supermarket in town to get what you need but if i wanted to do serious shopping at a department store id have to drive like 45 mins to get there. Does anyone know where such a place exists?
Im not looking for a place that is small or quaint but then you drive 30 mins and are in a bigger busy city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:43 AM

31,148 posts, read 50,323,277 times
Stockton Springs, Maine.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,977,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight61108 View Post
Hi everyone. I am looking for a small town somewhere on the east coast. I dont mind snow but i also do not mind heat. What im not keen on is lightening. I dont like having severe thunderstorms on a regular basis. Im looking for a the small towns that i read about that usually do not exist. lol. I would like a town that is secluded like forks washington but i would like less people (i saw that its estimated population is 3k-4k people). A great place i would like to live in (that does not exist mind you) would be from the sookie stackhouse series called bon temp. Pretty much everyone knows everyone. There is a supermarket in town to get what you need but if i wanted to do serious shopping at a department store id have to drive like 45 mins to get there. Does anyone know where such a place exists?
Im not looking for a place that is small or quaint but then you drive 30 mins and are in a bigger busy city.
While not on the east coast what you've discribed as a dream place to
live fit's Central Illionis perfectly. There is Bloomington, Peoria, and
a whole host of small quiet well equipped towns surrounding these
small big cities. The cost of living also matches the slower pace and
not to bad climate.

Everything and more is within 30 miles or chicago is about 2 hours.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:42 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Stockton Springs, Maine.
I was think Unity Maine...but same idea.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:57 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,305,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight61108 View Post
You are describing Maine...except for the thunderstorms they can whip up, Maine is where you should be. Coastal Maine is beautiful but northern Maine is really God's country. I lived up there for 12 years and miss it every day more than anyone would know. The town I lived in at that time only had 300 people but there were other neighboring towns some within walking distance. We could drive to Houlton Maine in about 20 minutes where there is shopping, movies...all the same stuff as down here in CT...check out Maine!!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:46 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,398,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
You are describing Maine...except for the thunderstorms they can whip up, Maine is where you should be. Coastal Maine is beautiful but northern Maine is really God's country. I lived up there for 12 years and miss it every day more than anyone would know. The town I lived in at that time only had 300 people but there were other neighboring towns some within walking distance. We could drive to Houlton Maine in about 20 minutes where there is shopping, movies...all the same stuff as down here in CT...check out Maine!!
A place like twilight describes sounds perfect to me, too. I have visited coastal Maine, and really enjoyed it - beautiful views, friendly people, small towns, and a relaxed pace. But I have only been there in late summer/early fall. I'm curious about what it's like the rest of the year. How brutal are the winters? And do some areas get congested during the summer vacation season?

Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 AM

4,259 posts, read 9,885,415 times
Wellsboro, PA. The Wellsboro Area Chamber of Commerce : Home Although they have these stores: Welcome (http://www.wellsborostores.com/Wellsboro_Stores/Welcome.html - broken link) and two food markets (one in town and one at the edge) you even have to drive 25 minutes to a Wal-Mart, and a good 45 minutes to the nearest mall: Arnot Mall - You didn't mention anything about needing employment, there isn't any there.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
AI'm curious about what it's like the rest of the year. How brutal are the winters? And do some areas get congested during the summer vacation season?

The picture says it all, (-45.2 below) and yes it gets crowded in the summer unfortunately.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a slower relaxed  place to call home.-45.2-below.jpg  

Old 05-20-2009, 07:25 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,398,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
The picture says it all, (-45.2 below) and yes it gets crowded in the summer unfortunately.
Whoa! That's a little chilly

Old 05-20-2009, 08:48 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,315,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
A place like twilight describes sounds perfect to me, too. I have visited coastal Maine, and really enjoyed it - beautiful views, friendly people, small towns, and a relaxed pace. But I have only been there in late summer/early fall. I'm curious about what it's like the rest of the year. How brutal are the winters? And do some areas get congested during the summer vacation season?
It's not THAT cold here. Sure, there are some cold days, but it's not 50 below for months on end... And some areas do get very congested in the summer, but not all. If you are looking for an out-of-the-way town that doesn't have a lot of tourist attraction or retail activity (or isn't directly on Route 1), you would probably not see it become too congested in the summer. A little more congested than in January, but not drastically so. LOL- I think about "congested" in my town, which amounts to 3 or more vehicles on Main Street at the same time (tight street, parking on both sides, the vehicles travelling through have to kind of take turns..) and realize that congested may have many different meanings in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living