U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:10 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times

Advertisements

I know what you meant, BT

that is why I calarified what the "other " CWT meant so as not to get confusing the 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 10:52 AM

3,064 posts, read 5,737,044 times
I haven't bought milk in 20 years.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:53 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,619,645 times
I still don't understand why farmers can't go in together on a creamery so they can be the middlemen. If processing milk is the gold mine some of you are suggesting it is, it would seem to be the logical thing to do. I suspect there is some resistance to accepting the risk that would come along with it.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:02 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
But you fellas who own your own dairies already have all of the certifications you need to sell your product, and local control over it would enhance your profits greatly. Local dairies instead of statewide or national ones, with the certifications already in place, could compete price-wise against the national chains.

My emphasis on World Food Market was solely to illustrate the fact that they utilize many local farmers' products, and have the power to certify them to meet their established criteria. A co-operative group could do the same, in every state, utilizing your concept of regionalism.
We kind of already do this. Raw milk is not supposed to be trucked out of Maine, or into Maine, and here we do have enough demand to just about meet the supply. We do produce enough processed milk from our dairies here to ship into the other New England states. Now with what we all produce, and what we all consume, the New England region is an example of perfectly harmonized supply and demand. Typically we get paid more for our milk then most other states because of these transport rules and because of the way these New England economics works.

The problem is, there is a huge loophole in the system and that is in times of need or excess, creameries can import or export milk so that the New England market does not get lean or bloated. The real issue is, New York produces wayyy too much milk and wants to unload it here. By having a bigger market it would bring their price up, and our price down. Its a jealousy thing really and I have heard a lot of out of state dairy farmers get downright mad at the system we have created. As one farmer said, "if Maine needs more money to produce milk, maybe they should not have dairy farms there." Obviously some jealousy at work there. At the same time, the creameries take full advantage of the loophole as well and want the cheap NY milk as well. There are a lot of powerful groups who want this arrangement disolved, while farmers are holding on by our teeth; its a precarious situation held in place only by politicians at this point.

Myself I see the situation as being fairly easy to remedy. We simply need to get the Dairy Promotion Board to get some effective "GOT MILK" ads out there and stop consumers from buying soda and have it replaced with milk. What a concept, no more 16 teapoons of sugar per can of soda, more vitamins ingested and a lower incidence of diabeties. The promotion board seems to like taking our money (they get a per gallon fee) but don't really seem to be helping much. As an industry we need more DO and a lot less talk. Now if only the people that take a cut of our money actually did that!

Sorry rant over.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:17 AM

Here are the January 2009 milk prices reported in the May 10th issue of Hoards Dairyman magazine ( they have since dropped more )

Florida--------------$18.39 cwt
SE------------------17.05
Appalachian---------16.55
So Missouri----------14.98
New England-------14.95
Indiana--------------14.86
Ohio----------------14.83
E Penn--------------14.45
W Penn------------- 14.47
New York-----------13.94
Michigan-------------13.76
corn belt-------------13.61
Illinois---------------13.38
West Texas ---------12.98
Wesconsin-----------12.94
Minnesota----------12.77
NW------------------12.75
California------------10.57

the January average for the entire US was--- $13.77
Dec 08 it was-------------------------------$15.78
Jan 08 it was--------------------------------$20.74

As BT pointed out, it has dropped even more since January

Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,291,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
The dairy farmers are really ticked off...

The price of milk for them is dropping while the price of milk in the stores has gone up. As predicted now, 25% of american dairy farms will go under despite there being a 5 billion pound shortfall of milk in this country. Right now that shortfall is being absorbed by imports from other countries.

Anyone else on here planning to join the dump milk campaign?
Somebody is making money off milk, but it ain't the farmers.

Why can't we all go back to small town living where we buy from our neighbors?

Having said that, my neighbor sells organic meat, but it is equal to the cost of what I pay at Whole Foods.

W.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:45 AM

548 posts, read 1,338,260 times
I just returned from the grocery store where I bought 5 gallons of milk. This is the amount my family consumes in a week. I am shocked at how little the farmer sees of that money! I do hope things improve for our dairy farmers and all US farmers (my father-in-law included!).

How does the taste of raw milk compare to the taste of the milk I buy in my grocery store?

Old 05-28-2009, 09:09 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,587,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Somebody is making money off milk, but it ain't the farmers.

Why can't we all go back to small town living where we buy from our neighbors?

Having said that, my neighbor sells organic meat, but it is equal to the cost of what I pay at Whole Foods.

W.
The Farmer I get my organic Black Angus from sells it for $2.25 a pound, cut and wrapped. Cheaper than hamburger at most stores. The organic Dairy up the road a bit is a little more expensive than the milk in the local grocery stores, but it is very good. In the Grocery Stores though I haven't paid over $2.50 a gallon for milk in close to a year. Lately it is just under $2 a gallon. I get my fruit and veggies in season from local farmers as well. Not so much for "organic" or other "granola" reasons, but to support the local Farmers and economy as much as I can.

Milk here is cheap usually, I can't see the Farmers getting much with the store prices the way they are.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:13 PM

19,121 posts, read 27,059,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle77 View Post
I just returned from the grocery store where I bought 5 gallons of milk. This is the amount my family consumes in a week. I am shocked at how little the farmer sees of that money! I do hope things improve for our dairy farmers and all US farmers (my father-in-law included!).

How does the taste of raw milk compare to the taste of the milk I buy in my grocery store?

Raw milk tastes wonderful I competed in dairy products judging in FFA when I was in high school and raised a herd of very nice dairy goats that my family got our milk from. Unfortunately, to get that good tasting, healthy milk feed costs are higher too. I got rid of my herd (save 4 goats that were retired champions and I just couldn't bear to sell them) because feed prices jumped to the point that it wasn't feasible for me to keep my hobby going.

There is such a huge difference in taste between things that are 'farm raised' as opposed to 'corporately raised'.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:44 PM

Regarding milk------in 2007 the breakdown of all milk produced in the US was as follows--------188 .15 billion pounds of milk

cheese production accounted for 80.6 billion pounds of milk--------------43%
fluid milk accounted for 43.9 billion pounds of milk------------------------23%
butter accounted for 13.4 billion pounds of milk--------------------------7%
frozen products accounted for 9.6 billion pounds of milk------------------5%
non fat dry milk accounted for 8.3 billion pounds of milk------------------4%

other dairy products combined accounted for 32.4 billion pounds of milk----17%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living