U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 07:05 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,752,950 times

Advertisements

No, I am not going to burn in them. I have been researching growing potatoes in a containers, but am very leary of toxins from a plastic garbage can leaching into the soil. Have been discussing alternative ideas on the gardening thread; today I happened to think about the wire burn barrels nearly everyone had back in the 40's and 50's. I think they would do nicely, lined with straw. Problem is, I live in a metropolitan area so I am not likely to find any locally. I tried to google it but all I got were environmental articles about burning dioxins. Do they still make them? Is this the kind of thing a tractor supply store would carry? A small town hardware store? How about an Amish community? I can get to all three within two or three hours, but with the price of gas, I am not looking for a wild goose chase. I'd even be happy if I could order it through catalog. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 07:32 PM

137 posts, read 557,392 times
I don't know about burn barrels, but perhaps an old washing machine tub would work. Lot's of folks use them for campfire containers, and seems like it would provide very good drainage for whatever you might want to plant. You could cut the center hub out and part of the top to get better access if necessary, and I'd think most appliance stores that deliver would have them now and then available for free.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:42 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,752,950 times
That's a great idea; I wonder if they would be tall enough? Hmmmm, ...... need to do some more research.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:32 AM

18,543 posts, read 55,469,830 times
You could probably make something similar out of cattle panels or fencing. A 24" x 20' roll of hardware cloth and some twist ties and a couple of stakes would do well too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living