U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:04 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,314,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
I have lived in NY, GA, NM, AZ, MO, FL
The cheapest place in my opinion to live is MO, KS or OK. Land is cheep compared to the coast. As far as climate, gets real cold, then real hot.
Also, the total cost of living is much much lower, of course average compensation is lower as well, but that wont matter when in the stock market!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 11:13 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,920,892 times
I would go for TN, KY, WV, OH, maybe something like Cumberland, MD or more rural NC in somewhere around the Ashville area. Maybe a few towns in northern GA.

SE Ohio is going to give you the cheapest land in general without being totally in the boonies. Can find towns of varying sizes, something in Ohio should work. Low real estate prices, in some places super low cost of living.

If you can work in a longer winter vacation to something further south, the general area I gave is ideal from an entire range of requirements. Hassle factor, traffic, etc, etc. OH again will be very low when compared to most places in hassle factors if you avoid large urban areas.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:36 AM

322 posts, read 1,145,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
OH again will be very low when compared to most places in hassle factors if you avoid large urban areas.
Granted MOST people HATE the cold...BUT, I remain firm on Northern ND being VERY cheap compared to most states.

6 cars within 5 miles of eachother on the Interstate is considered a traffic jam up here! LOL... doesn't get much more hassel-free than that does it? AND, 4 out of those 5 cars are Canadians driving to Grand Forks to go shopping!

Old 04-11-2007, 09:48 PM

1,025 posts, read 3,794,821 times
But the original poster clearly expressed his desire for a warmish climate along with that inexpensive land:
Quote:
"had enough of winter since i was born in pa."

Old 04-11-2007, 09:52 PM

606 posts, read 551,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
It may get cold up here, but if you're staying inside, North Dakota is an option. We bought a 2700 sq. ft. ranch home, (big and NICE) lots of outbuildings, HUGE semi size garage, quonset, etc..etc.. on a 17 acre farm for $67,000. You want cheap housing with a nice house and lots of land, ND is the place to get it if you can suck up the cold for the winter. The further North you go the cheaper the housing/land/farms. Worth a look!
will south dakota be warmer?

Old 04-11-2007, 10:27 PM

24 posts, read 67,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez View Post
warm climate within reason. had enough of winter since i was born in pa. and lived there until 2 yrs ago. now in ca. great weather here but traffic sucks and prices are sick. willing to move anywhere in the country since i trade stocks from home.
hi.. i too moved from CA... Idaho is nice... boise for young people..Middleton small town west of boise 25 miles...wonderful for families.. low crime high dessert mild winters. cost of homes is rising... nice house for 200,000 maybe less, you just have to look around...boise more expensive. hope this helps

Old 02-15-2008, 10:23 PM

380 posts, read 1,073,541 times
Maryville, TN area is nice. It's not a small town (more like a small city), but it would have everything you need. It's 1/2 hour to the Smoky Mountains or to Knoxville. There are several small towns in the area if you want more rural, but I don't think any of them have organized town centers. I wouldn't say that land is cheap due to the close proximity of the mountains, but you can get a decent house for about $100 a square foot.

Norris, TN is CHARMING, and also about 30 minutes from Knoxville. It is tiny. It's really close to a beautiful lake and Norris State Park. TVA has built some nice trails planted with lots of mature native trees and wildflowers. The little grocery store downtown has everything from bologna to gourmet coffees and a huge import beer selection.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:35 AM
x1x

227 posts, read 744,596 times
Try Wild and Wonderful West Virgina.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:38 PM

24,839 posts, read 33,100,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
It may get cold up here, but if you're staying inside, North Dakota is an option. We bought a 2700 sq. ft. ranch home, (big and NICE) lots of outbuildings, HUGE semi size garage, quonset, etc..etc.. on a 17 acre farm for $67,000. You want cheap housing with a nice house and lots of land, ND is the place to get it if you can suck up the cold for the winter. The further North you go the cheaper the housing/land/farms. Worth a look!
Hey, do you need well drillers?? LOL LOL

Old 02-16-2008, 03:25 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,748,866 times
Moderate warm climate- Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana. Less moderate climate- they will give you free land in some parts of Kansas if you agree to live there a certain amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living