U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:00 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,954,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
There are some pretty affordable places which are nice in MA, though not as far as land really when compared with ME. I have to say the way your friends live sounds very dangerous, what happens if one of them has a medical emergency? They wouldn't be able to get help, or are there helicopters that come get people?
Dangerous?

Nobody is making them live this lifestyle and I am sure there are plenty of people perfectly OK with the lack of available emergency response. How do you think your ancestors lived?

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:44 AM

31,339 posts, read 50,679,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
How many acres do you have all together ... ?
I owe 42+, my inlaws have 105+, I commonly say that I manage 150 acres. For those interested in details, I do tend to round that up as you can see. I have said that I manage 150 acres a few times. If being exact I manage closer to 148 and not 150.

I apologize for the times when I have said 150. I should not have exaggerated like that. Clearly my rounding skills upset people. I apologize.

Law Enforcement response here is slow. Normally we see the sheriff deputy drive through our township once a week. Fire protection is provided by volunteer departments in neighboring townships. I have no idea how rapidly EMTs respond. I have seen news stories about them using helicopters lately.

I live in an 'Unorganized Township'. They used to be organized but in the 1930s [I do not know the exact year, so I am generalizing by saying 30s] they burned the town charter, to lower taxes.

My land has 1/4 mile of river frontage. Part of it is within the annual flood plain and has maple trees which I tap, and fiddleheads.

My house is up above the 20 year flood plain. But like many organized townships around here, it [they] flooded a couple years ago. I posted photos.

There is no way to predict when the townships along these rivers will flood. It happens. Life goes on. I had to replace one electrical circuit, I already had the wire here on hand. So I have no way to tell how much damage was done. I guess less than $100.

We do tend to get skeeters. Some years they are bad, some years you see very few.

Some years we get black fly. They come through in waves, and then they leave. The last couple years I have not seen any black fly. [These are tiny like gnats, and they bite.]

Old 04-28-2012, 11:49 AM

744 posts, read 685,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Dangerous?

Nobody is making them live this lifestyle and I am sure there are plenty of people perfectly OK with the lack of available emergency response. How do you think your ancestors lived?

OD
My ancestors dragged women by hair, spread poop on their face,died at 40 and didn't have such unhealthy lifestyles and chemicals surrounding them etc. Anyway, I'm sure my and your ancestors lived in communities with access to doctors/healers, however crude they may have been..It just scares me that one of them could have a heart attack and die because they could not get medical help soon enough, that secluded land may not be so attractive to live alone.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:54 AM

744 posts, read 685,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I owe 42+, my inlaws have 105+, I commonly say that I manage 150 acres. For those interested in details, I do tend to round that up as you can see. I have said that I manage 150 acres a few times. If being exact I manage closer to 148 and not 150.

I apologize for the times when I have said 150. I should not have exaggerated like that. Clearly my rounding skills upset people. I apologize.

Law Enforcement response here is slow. Normally we see the sheriff deputy drive through our township once a week. Fire protection is provided by volunteer departments in neighboring townships. I have no idea how rapidly EMTs respond. I have seen news stories about them using helicopters lately.

I live in an 'Unorganized Township'. They used to be organized but in the 1930s [I do not know the exact year, so I am generalizing by saying 30s] they burned the town charter, to lower taxes.

My land has 1/4 mile of river frontage. Part of it is within the annual flood plain and has maple trees which I tap, and fiddleheads.

My house is up above the 20 year flood plain. But like many organized townships around here, it [they] flooded a couple years ago. I posted photos.

There is no way to predict when the townships along these rivers will flood. It happens. Life goes on. I had to replace one electrical circuit, I already had the wire here on hand. So I have no way to tell how much damage was done. I guess less than $100.

We do tend to get skeeters. Some years they are bad, some years you see very few.

Some years we get black fly. They come through in waves, and then they leave. The last couple years I have not seen any black fly. [These are tiny like gnats, and they bite.]
I remember your posts about your land a looong time ago when I 1st joined CD, remember the pics near the river and you talking about the flies. It was really nice, I have a thread in the home interior and design forum where you can see a video of me going on my roof and it shows how small my piece of land is. To be able to own a big private field would be amazing, one day I dream of it but for now I settle for city life, I could not support myself in Maine unless they are looking for plow people with f-350s. Really I am jealous of you, any recent pics of your land?

Old 04-28-2012, 06:30 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,145,101 times
So, have we come to any conclusions ? Maine IS the cheapest land place ? Remember my earlier post about Alaska, Wyoming and some other remote desert etc. The problem is, you have to buy hundreds of acres , when you only want 10. Thats about all a person needs anyway. We have some cheap land here in the UP also. Because of our" tree harvesting management" programs, a considerable amount of money can be realized by taking out all the larger trees. I hate seeing it, but, its still better than clear cutting. There is 500 acres behind my house , all forest and one lake. Its being " select cutting" Last summer and now they are starting up again. Lots of new roads now, I don't see how there is a profit with the road building. It does not matter where you are up here, even very remote land thats off the grid is still subjected to tree harvesting at any time. ( except for state and Federal properties) new mining is also starting up. Most of us do not own the mineral rights ether. Rio Tinto is starting to mine for nickle, silver and gold, mostly on native American sacred areas. The opposition loat the last court battle...so, on goes progress I guess. At least the new mining is under ground with no tailings left above ground, we will see.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:14 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,464,204 times
Quote:
Maine IS the cheapest land place ?
I'd be really surprised if that were actually the case...

Old 04-28-2012, 09:26 PM

31,339 posts, read 50,679,733 times
N.M. has some very low priced land.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 AM

29,100 posts, read 22,569,765 times
Detroit has cheap property - and it is rapidly becoming a nice, small town!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:00 AM

5,421 posts, read 8,042,663 times
Quote:
Hate to burst bubbles here, but much of the "cheap land" one will see for sale here in NM is only cheap because it's surrounded by other people's large parcels of land, meaning no/restricted access, middle of nowhere, no utilities, and for the last few years, precious little water. People's wells are beginning to run dry. Much of our wildlife has died off due to lack of food/water, and the wildfires are getting worse/coming earlier every year.

I would not recommend moving here unless you have the coin to do so (buy land, have house built, drill well, etc.) and to do it right, or otherwise have some sort of connection.

Of course, this depends on where in NM you'd want to live.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:46 PM

417 posts, read 1,003,595 times
Default New Mexico

Quote:
Not in the town of my birth (Reserve, in Catron County). I was astonished when I checked realtor.com and found that even tiny bungalows with tiny lots are over $100,000. There are few jobs and fewer amenities there - why is real estate so expensive?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living