U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 12:48 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,508,495 times

Advertisements

Well, I don't know how many here are home brewers, but I love the smell of wort cooking. Brings back memories of my childhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 01:36 AM

37,144 posts, read 43,076,892 times
Alfalfa IS lovely...I also like the smell of the cornfields on a summer evening when the dew falls. Especially when it's high enough that it makes solid green walls along the roadsides.

With the glaring exception of poultry manure, there aren't many farm scents that bug me. Pig poop isn't fun, either, but chicken or turkey manure will absolutely take your breath away with the sheer offensiveness. Grass-fed catte and horse manure, I never minded, though.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:58 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,538,452 times
I think that the smell of manure is great - but then I mean a well-regulated smell, not the odor of close-kept animals wallowing in their own filth, like the chicken "farms" or barrow "farms". My Great-aunt used to keep pigs - and their very large pen floor was lined with pallets and had a shallow 'cement pond' where they could bathe. It was our summer job to go out every morning and hose the pigs and pallets off. Pigs actually love to be clean, and would play in the pond. They have a nice musky smell to them, too.

I used to keep chickens in a large open pen, the smell was not severe. Chickens don't like mud and filth, either, they like dust baths and grassy areas. Now that I'm starting chickens again, DH built movable 'chicken tractors' to put between the garden rows; to not only fight bugs and clean out the weeds between rows, but to deposit their manure for next year. Chickens kept in open areas have a nice dusty smell to them. (OK, I admit it - I like holding one and burying my nose in its feathers! LOL)

Old 05-30-2009, 10:58 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,802 times
I think lanolin stinks...but even though that is the case, to me the smell of sheep is just...well...home!

Old 05-30-2009, 10:13 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,176,908 times
I guess I'm one of the weirdos who doesn't mind the smell of a cattle farm. I grew up in a dairy farm, and whenever we trek past pastures along California's I-5, it takes me back in a good way.

But one of my brothers lived near a pig slaughterhouse and THAT was nauseating.

This will sound bizarre coming from an Oregonian, but I happen to hate the stench of rain. To me it smells 'rancid'.

But I do love salt air. Whenever I'm at the coast I take deep breaths often.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:51 AM

445 posts, read 968,866 times
I like the smell of wild onions. Also, I fell in love with Alabama, as I drove through the state en route to North Carolina. The smell of, I'm guessing Magnolia, ahhhh. I can remember thinking, how nice to have this fragrance in the air, as I'm driving on the interstate. Oh, last but not least, honeysuckle.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:06 AM

602 posts, read 1,792,041 times
My favorite is when you drive through "Orange Country" in Florida during the time of year when the orange trees are blossoming. The smell is intoxicating.

I also love the smell of wild spearmint, first thing in the morning.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:59 AM

3,338 posts, read 4,782,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Alfalfa IS lovely...I also like the smell of the cornfields on a summer evening when the dew falls. Especially when it's high enough that it makes solid green walls along the roadsides.

With the glaring exception of poultry manure, there aren't many farm scents that bug me. Pig poop isn't fun, either, but chicken or turkey manure will absolutely take your breath away with the sheer offensiveness. Grass-fed catte and horse manure, I never minded, though.
Having grown up on the farm, I HATE the smell of alfalfa. It reminds me of work. All my high school years me and the other farm boys would throw hay bales for the area farmers. It was our one source of consistent income. I had the added bonus of hay fever so I got to sleep in a recliner and practically drank Dristan.

A wet feedlot smell doesn't exactly get one nostalgic either.

I do love the cornfields smell as well as wild flowers.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:42 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
jmgg------you were born too soon.

Today ,there is very little alfalfa harvested with small square balers.

Bigger dairy farms chop it and alfalfa farmers who grow it to sell go with big square or big round balers that make bales over 800 pounds and are handled mechanically.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:26 PM

3,338 posts, read 4,782,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
jmgg------you were born too soon.

Today ,there is very little alfalfa harvested with small square balers.

Bigger dairy farms chop it and alfalfa farmers who grow it to sell go with big square or big round balers that make bales over 800 pounds and are handled mechanically.
I'm very much aware of all that. We still own the farm and the farm life still interests me even though I'm not a farmer. I try to keep up with the general knowledge of the farming life by talking with my farmer friends. I can't help how every time I smell a fresh cut alfalfa field I get this feeling of dread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living