U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:38 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times

Advertisements

I hear you !

Many,many years of handling small squares has made me appreciate the big bales.

As you stated, small squares, handled by hand, is very hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 07:38 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,030,684 times
On a drive from NC to FL-gulf coast and back and stopped in Montgomery Alabama for dinner- although we were surrounded by concrete and buildings- the smell of honeysuckle filled the air.

Something I'll never forget!

Old 06-01-2009, 04:29 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I hear you !

Many,many years of handling small squares has made me appreciate the big bales.

As you stated, small squares, handled by hand, is very hard work.
We don't even use hay any more. Square bales, round bales, big wrapped bales (baleage)....we don't use any of that. We use haylage and corn silage exclusively now just because of the labor involved and the weather needed to put up hay.

Last year it saved our bacon because we had a whole month of rain. By doing haylage, we were able to get out in the fields as soon as the weather broke, While others were trying to get 3-4 days of no-rain, we would knock down 150 acres in the morning, and have it sitting in the bunker by nightfall. It works a lot better, but not exactly what I would call a very sweet smelling country aroma!

But here is one that is. I log a lot and get a lot of compliments on my "woodsy smell". There is nothing like the smell of fir and pine pitch on a logger or on a landing where fresh cut fir, spruce and pine is stacked.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:32 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,305,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Today, while making a trip to a neighboring town, I noticed field after field of alfalfa being cut .Since farms sometimes get a bad rap for offensive odors, the smell of freshly cut alfalfa early in the morning or late at night is one of my favorite aromas.
We have a farm down the hill from us with huge work horses and several riding horses stabled there...smell is minimally ok...not that bad. There is also a hayfield across the street from us and when they cut that, I go into major sneeze fits. I do, however smell the honeysuckle that grows all over the place at the farm and that is an amazing smell. My husband and I live close enough to this farm to hear the insane rooster down there crow every morning at 4:30 AM and then he gets confused and crows again at 4:30 at night...strange guy this rooster...LoL. We can also sit on our deck which overlooks our pool and see the big draft horses in the pasture along with a beautiful black quarter horse and an even more beautiful palamino who run around in the pasture. They also have a black goat who is strangely enough friends with the big draft horses; follows them around. Next to this pasture is yet another pasture that has two beautiful hills that go back off into the woods. When spring comes, we see the young lady who rides the Palamino come flying up through the hayfield yelling "whoo hooooo" hair flying in the spring breeze...happy to be alive and loving her horse....Oh...by the way....we live in Meriden, CT...big surprise as we get such a bad rap here for how nasty it is to live here....

Old 06-02-2009, 12:13 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,807,356 times
I like the smell of Grain durring harvest.

Fresh cut Oak.

Trout stream.

Diesel smoke.

Anything cooked over a Campfire.

hillman

Old 06-07-2009, 12:47 AM

37,144 posts, read 43,076,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Having grown up on the farm, I HATE the smell of alfalfa. It reminds me of work. All my high school years me and the other farm boys would throw hay bales for the area farmers. It was our one source of consistent income. I had the added bonus of hay fever so I got to sleep in a recliner and practically drank Dristan.

A wet feedlot smell doesn't exactly get one nostalgic either.

I do love the cornfields smell as well as wild flowers.
Heh, for the longest time, the smell of cornfields reminded me of miserable summers ages 12-15 slogging along in sodden heavy clothes at 5 a.m. detassling corn, cold for the first few hours, and then steaming in our layers the longer the sun was out. But that's enough years ago that it's a faint memory and I love the smell again.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:58 AM

3,338 posts, read 4,782,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Heh, for the longest time, the smell of cornfields reminded me of miserable summers ages 12-15 slogging along in sodden heavy clothes at 5 a.m. detassling corn, cold for the first few hours, and then steaming in our layers the longer the sun was out. But that's enough years ago that it's a faint memory and I love the smell again.
Did some detassling as well. Somewhat miserable as you stated, but not near as grueling as throwing hay bales. I guess what made it so that it wasn't too bad was that I was always working with a big crew of other kids, making it as much fun as work. Also, I wasn't working with just guys.

Remember the mornings though, drenched to the bone from the morning dew on the leaves.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,700,158 times
Yep to the just cut Alpha... and some of us still have square bailers just not that big of property...
love the dairy farm or cattle - fresh manuer
my horse sweat with warm leather on a sunny day in the woods... (have smelled some really bad horses though)
Yep to the logger - wood chips mixed with chain saw exhaust! even worked some in the field - still never tired of it (ok a few of them are not so good too!)
the first time the ground really warms up and spring is coming
lilacs at night
salt air
Puikini flower in Hawaii (sp?)
fresh cut cucumber out of the garden
high mountain lake am with coffee brewing

now you can keep the goats and chicken barns in the summer- ugh- got my border collie from my friend that has 300 goats - he went straight to a bath. And the worst the chicken barn that burnt down in the middle of summer...........

Old 06-12-2009, 03:21 AM

9,967 posts, read 19,299,870 times
Puakenikeni (ten cent flower) It is a waxy white flower which grows on trees and folks use to sell them to the lei makers for ten cents each. Yeah, they do smell really nice don't they? I also like the tuberose for nice smelling flowers. Right now we have the night blooming jasmine which is a bit overwhelming. Lovely scent, just so much of it!

The farm has the sweet sweet clear scent of lemon and orange trees along with the warm sticky sweet scent of honey and beeswax. Mixed in with the scent of warm cows from the neighboring farm which is upwind.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:01 AM

4,585 posts, read 11,000,127 times
I currently live in NE GA and we have tons of chicken farms...gag. And of course the hog farm or two...gag again.

I don't mind the smell of horse manure as long as it's not too piled up but cow poo again gag.

I've developed so many allergies living in GA I can't appreciate all the spring smells as I'm sneezing and wheezing and it doesn't end until our short winter

Being from the PNW I miss the smell of snow, mountain and ocean air. I don't miss the pulp mills or driving thru Albany, Or but I hear it's better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living