Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:50 PM

22 posts, read 144,021 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place to find country homes or rural real estate? Do you have some links you can give me? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 04:23 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,167 times
I have had the most difficult time finding this myself! I have tried landsofamerica, I have tried landwatch, but many of the web sites are frustrating because they do not let you narrow the search by number of acres. I end up looking at each state and trying to find sites that support statewide MLS searches. Maine has a good site for that. Where, in particular are you looking? I can help with sites for Maine, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and some others because I have done extensive searching myself. I have noticed that Coldwell Banker has some good sites in many states.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:31 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,270 times
My favorite site is morealestate.net. You can put in minimum price criteria, minimum acreage criteria, specific number of bedrooms, and also look in many different states besides Missouri. Another good one is United Country Real Estate...Country Homes, Farms, Ranches, Recreational Property & Land - United Country Rural Real Estate.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:35 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,073,895 times
Personally,I've had the best luck with realtor.com....but there are many good sites out there....Craigslist if you already know the general area you are wanting to go may be a good option.Good luck.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:52 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,270 times
Muleskinner-Awesome profile picture...love it.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,073,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Muleskinner-Awesome profile picture...love it.
Thank you...I've lost a bit of weight since that pic was taken

Old 02-28-2009, 10:37 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,272,598 times
Do a google search for Lands of ________ (whatever state) or www.landsof(whatever state).com It's really good, I think. You can search by county, region, or map.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:20 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,682,897 times
We found our property on Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed . We liked it - as the above poster says, you can narrow it down by state, and then by region. You can also go to many of the realtors' webpages from there and see what else they have available in that area. We actually located 6 properties there, in three different states, but we liked this one best.

I would say that 'size of property' may not mean what you think it means - depending on soil type, planting zone, and area, you may need more or less than 10 acres to do what you want. 10 acres of rocky, summer-swampy, or sandy soil may not produce enough animal grazing or tillable soil. One piece we found and thought we liked was being encroached upon by a lake, and the house and barns there would have to be torn down - and the swampy land, while good for hunting geese, would not have been arable for plants or grazing.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:12 AM..

Old 03-01-2009, 08:48 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,588,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashannon View Post
Where is the best place to find country homes or rural real estate? Do you have some links you can give me? Thanks.
In the country, of course!
I'm surprised nobody else came up with this response already!

Seriously, though, it depends on where you are looking. It also depends on what you're looking for. I've found a lot of listings on UnitedCountry, as well as a number of other sites. I remember reading magazines when I was a kid, and finding a number of ads in the back for inexpensive real estate. Most of the outdoor type magazines still have these ads. It was through one of the ads that I found the link to a website, that eventually led me to the property I plan to retire on.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:18 AM

33 posts, read 68,368 times
try jay athar.com or cwtar.com, if you are considering or would consider west tn.. its beautifull here,people friendly and the pace much slower. but land and cost of living is extremely affordable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living