U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 03:46 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,208 times

Advertisements

I am not sure how long it has been since we started planting corn, but with the crazy weather, this year has been one of the longest. We did a few fields at the beginning of May, but then the rain came. Today though we got the corn seed in the ground and we can rest.

Well sort of. With all this rain, and now a little sun, the haylage is ready to harvest so there won't be much of a down time between crops. Maybe a few days to make sure the chopper is ready to go and then it will be on to more 18-20 hour days as long as the sun shines. That is because you can't harvest haylage in the rain...learned that the hard way last year .

Today as we tilled the last field I snapped a few pictures of our latest tractor churning through the dirt. I got a lot of crappy pictures out of the days events, but this picture came out pretty good with the trees in the back ground and the angled view. I did get to run the tractor across the field and back and it certainly put a grin on my face, but I didn't drive it much more then that.
Attached Thumbnails
On the 30th day...we rested!-davis-field-disc.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 04:02 AM

2,899 posts, read 4,009,110 times
Is that a New Holland tractor?? Cool. It reminds me of my youth, when I drove John Deere tractors pulling chisel plows.

Last edited by Teak; 06-03-2009 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: added nostalgia

Old 06-03-2009, 05:47 AM

Yeah it is a New Holland, a 9684 series to be exact. A nice machine for sure.

We typically run New Holland's, not because we think they are perfect, but because there is a salesman that can sell them and can really make pretty good deals. He runs his mouth, makes claims on very low interest and stuff and we put him to the test. So far he has gotten us everything he said he would.

The thing is, he used to work for the local dealer, but they fired him because of his creativity. The problem with dairy farmers is, we get big checks every 2 weeks, but we don't have lots of cash sitting in the savings account at any one time. So he makes things look good on paper and kind of wheels and deals. To him the ends justifies the means which was at odds with the local dealer. So they canned him.

Now he lives and works 3 hours away but comes down to the area every other week and talks machinery. Despite his new location, he has made a lot of sales in the area.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:55 AM

Our local dealer is a bit stubborn on stuff as well, but I felt this deserved its own post. A few years ago we went out and researched self-propelled choppers for both grass silage and corn silage. We asked the local dealer about them and he said "it will never work in Maine" because they require trucks to drive through fields rather then a separate tractor pulling a chopper and dump wagon and bringing the feed to the truck to haul back to the farm. With the mud we get here, it can be an issue.

So we go out of state and try a few self propelled machines anyway and conclude they will work. The local guys tells us to save our money because he won't train his mechanics to work on them, or stock parts for them either.

It's a pain, but we feel the added production is worth it and was the first farmers in Maine to go self-propelled. Now others have these machines as well and they do work here, and work quite well. The local dealer did extend an olive branch last year to us by ordering a model of our chopper and giving it to us. The kids liked it, but we still feel it was silly for him to be so stubborn about something that he is not even using. When it comes to service, you really need to be sure you are in a position to help and not judge.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:53 AM

31,146 posts, read 50,314,105 times
That is pretty cool, good to see that you finally got the job done

Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 AM

Thanks FBK, but in 97 days we'll be harvesting all of that corn. I think harvesting it is a lot more difficult then planting it.

It is amazing though how 9 tons of corn seed can produce 25,000 tons of feed with just a bit of rain, sunshine and soil in such a short period of time.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:39 PM

2,899 posts, read 4,009,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
We typically run New Holland's, not because we think they are perfect, but because there is a salesman that can sell them and can really make pretty good deals. .....The thing is, he used to work for the local dealer, but they fired him because of his creativity. .....Now he lives and works 3 hours away but comes down to the area every other week and talks machinery. Despite his new location, he has made a lot of sales in the area.
So he was fired by the local New Holland dealer, but now continues to sell New Holland equipment from a new location. How far apart does New Holland keep its dealerships?

Old 06-05-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
So he was fired by the local New Holland dealer, but now continues to sell New Holland equipment from a new location. How far apart does New Holland keep its dealerships?
No, he is not a New Holland dealer, he is just a wheeler and dealer in Ag equipment. You pretty much tell him what you are after and he finds it for us. A lot of times it is repossesed equipment and stuff. Because of the size of equipment we need, the equipment comes from out west.

Still that local dealer has got to change his tactics in order to stay in business. He kept hounding me to buy a new tractor every time I went for parts for my old tractor. I finally told the owner, "why should I buy a new tractor off you when you can't even fix my old tractor?" Eventually I did buy a new tractor, but it was not off him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or