U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:42 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,889,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Once they discover that the State of Colorado claims ownership of ALL water, including rainwater (it is illegal in CO to have rain barrels) they might rethink their plan.

I was told last year that folks 'round here annually buy their fall freezer chickens from "the Amish farm"; whole cases of them. I haven't found out where it is yet, but apparently they have been here for years and do very well.

I don't mind them; I used to go to their little towns in OH when I lived there. Nice hardworking folk who made the best danged cheese I'd ever eaten - in big copper kettles. I may be going to Hell because I use zippers and electricity, but that doesn't mean I can't admire their work ethic or their simple life.
Much of what the Amish do in my area is illegal. They do not follow health laws at all. It gives me the impression they are above the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 04:59 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,538,452 times
Like Voodoo or African religions sacrificing chickens or goats - they are probably protected under freedom of religion. If their religion forbids them to use mechanical means to dispose of wastes, or to pasteurize milk (I don't know that they do, just sayin') who's gonna know?

Old 06-09-2009, 06:18 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,889,763 times
Quote:
Like Voodoo or African religions sacrificing chickens or goats - they are probably protected under freedom of religion. If their religion forbids them to use mechanical means to dispose of wastes, or to pasteurize milk (I don't know that they do, just sayin') who's gonna know?
In my area, neighbors with raw sewage in their ditches.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:18 PM

57 posts, read 158,808 times
Really? I am interested in northen ME and have searched endlesly for farm land in that part of the state, but I have not found any acreage for half of what you said is in Colorado.
If you know of land in northen ME for half of $1400 could you please indicate where in ME?
Do you have a contact? Thanks

Old 10-26-2010, 04:00 AM

13,649 posts, read 26,071,215 times
Maybe they need more room for their chosen business of puppy mills.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:21 PM

13 posts, read 24,070 times
I live in an area with a lot of amish and can honestly say I have never seen ditches with sewage or puppy mills. I have seen some puppy mill looking operations in a few of the trailer courts in town, but never on the amish farms I have been to or past. I know many people who have hired them for roofing or building and are very pleased with the amount of work performed in a day. I also buy their produce at the locations they gather in on Saturdays and once again - no puppies present. Their farms appear just as tidy as other modern farms with the noticeable difference being the buggies in the yard instead of combines, etc.. I must have missed reading a news article.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:30 AM

26 posts, read 163,307 times
Quote:
Once they discover that the State of Colorado claims ownership of ALL water, including rainwater (it is illegal in CO to have rain barrels) they might rethink their plan.
Really? How does one possibly enforce such a law?

Before reading that, I was wondering if they were moving west for the same reason the Mormons did: geographic isolation, more tolerance for "odd" religions and less intrusive law enforcement.

Incidentally, I wonder how they'll get along with citizens of the Kingdom of Deseret...

Old 10-27-2010, 11:47 PM

13,649 posts, read 26,071,215 times
The key to puppy mills is that they are not real visible. The Amish are known for them, though.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:34 AM

6,501 posts, read 5,590,830 times
We have a very large Amish population in this area. Other than being stuck behind a buggy on a country road when you are in a hurry to get to work, they are the best neighbors you'll find. They are frequently employed in carpentry jobs, and if you want skilled quality work, that's who you hire. Our small town now boasts a Wal-Mart, and a new Aldi's, and there are buggy hitches in the parking lot. You have to watch where you're walking sometimes. You occasionally see the kids go in the stores with bare feet, and no one complains. Sanitation-wise, the supervisors around here are accommodating to the Amish.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:31 PM

375 posts, read 1,230,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The key to puppy mills is that they are not real visible. The Amish are known for them, though.
Prove it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living