Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:50 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Once they discover that the State of Colorado claims ownership of ALL water, including rainwater (it is illegal in CO to have rain barrels) they might rethink their plan.
Sorry that's lie #1. The state has water rights and does not own the rainwater.

Quote:
I was told last year that folks 'round here annually buy their fall freezer chickens from "the Amish farm"; whole cases of them. I haven't found out where it is yet, but apparently they have been here for years and do very well.
Amish chickens, much like those raised and sold by the Hutterite, are ground scratchers - not penned. They are larger than store bought, taste better and command higher prices. The turkeys are the BEST

Lie #2 - Pennsylvania food registration is the toughest in the 50 states. Amish products like milk and cheese have that certification - it's guaranteed the best! Amish farms receive a dispensation from the Bishop to provide pasteurization for the milk. It's heated and rapidly cooled before the truck arrives to pick it up. So, only dairies have the electric lines in.

Observation 1 - puppy mills - there are dozens in every major city that aren't owned/operated by Amish or Mennonites. Go pick on them. What the Amish do with their animals is what we should all do - use them as the good Lord intended - as farm animals - plowing fields and herding sheep. We do not make them our friends.

Observation 2 - Dairy farms have a problem with offal and sewage - what to do with it. Unlike homes, they can't exactly put it into a treatment facility or septic tank, therefore you'll see this at ALL dairy farms - a huge lagoon of waste, sometimes covered with 6mm plastic sheeting and auto tires on top to keep it from blowing off or allowing insects inside. In Fla, the dairy farms at the top end of Lake Okeechobee have been polluting the lake for decades. The bentonite prepared lagoons are the only way of reducing the smell and subsequent overflow into the groundwater, thus keeping the public from dysentary and other diseases. The states enforce the environmental controls, so if you see a leaking lagoon, it is your duty to report it to the proper officials. Failing that, tell the property owner whether you know them or not. Fines are staggering and yes, even the Amish pay those fines.

I grew up with Amish, Mennonite and Hutterite farm kids so what I'm telling you is the truth. My wife was Amish before we were married. I keep the traditions alive for my grand-children, tho I am not one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:54 PM

There's little or no cheap land in Colorado where I've spent the last twenty years as a wildlife biologist/land manager. If it's cheaper than $500/ac - there's something wrong with it. Alkali is a major problem and anywhere they are drilling and fracking the sub-strata for oil and natural gas - you're going to find poison water.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
Observation 1 - puppy mills - there are dozens in every major city that aren't owned/operated by Amish or Mennonites. Go pick on them. What the Amish do with their animals is what we should all do - use them as the good Lord intended - as farm animals - plowing fields and herding sheep. We do not make them our friends.

Do you know what a Puppy Mill is?
Like it or not, the Amish have been identified with some of the most horrid puppy mills in the US. We are not talking raising farm animals or having some dogs that breed; we are talking the wholesale inhumane commerical breeding of dogs for sale to pet shops and laboratories. That's a Puppy Mill, a factory manufacturing line producing puppies.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:40 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
pacific im with you, ive seen the inside of many puppymills (amish and not) and most pet store puppies come from amish "breeding facilities"
nothing but mass produced messes.

if you were ever inside a puppymill, youd NEVER support ANYONE running one...unless of course you have no heart what-so-ever.

the smell, sight and sounds of those dog hells never wash away, never leave your mind...i still hear thier cries in my nightmares

Old 11-04-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post

Do you know what a Puppy Mill is?
Like it or not, the Amish have been identified with some of the most horrid puppy mills in the US. We are not talking raising farm animals or having some dogs that breed; we are talking the wholesale inhumane commerical breeding of dogs for sale to pet shops and laboratories. That's a Puppy Mill, a factory manufacturing line producing puppies.
Yes, I do, there are several in my area - none owned by the aforementioned entities. Unfortunately there's no law against it, so they flourish. As long a dummies keep buying there will always be a market. Laboratories are funded by you and me - grant money from the Fed Govt.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
I seem to always be defending the Amish. So here we go again. I have Amish relatives who love their animals, take wonderful care of them and consider puppy mills an abomination and an embarassment to the community. Let's not throw everyone into the same horrible stew because of a few bad apples.

(My family also keeps many of the traditions alive and I was raised on those traditions 2,000 miles from the nearest Amish farm.)

That said. Some ARE extremely shrewd businessmen. I have a particular uncle in mind.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 AM

318 posts, read 870,305 times
I'm not sure how long they have been here, but there are lots of Amish in the San Luis Valley (southern CO) containing some of the poorest land and people in the state. You can find 5 acres for $5k no sweat.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:11 PM

375 posts, read 1,381,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
I'm not sure how long they have been here, but there are lots of Amish in the San Luis Valley (southern CO) containing some of the poorest land and people in the state. You can find 5 acres for $5k no sweat.
$1k per acre for land worth $50 - sounds like a deal to me

Old 11-13-2010, 08:43 AM

375 posts, read 1,381,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
Not sure what you're trying to say here, but I agree with you--this place sucks ass.
Without water or access to it - $50/ac is an appropriate price

Old 11-13-2010, 07:21 PM

318 posts, read 870,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
Without water or access to it - $50/ac is an appropriate price
We have a huge underground aquifer, as, based on your assertiveness, you should have already known. There are generations of families here. There are huge FARMS here, and we're widely known for our potatoes and other crops. There have been battles for years over larger cities wanting to take OUR water because we have such a great resource. Until the salmonella outbreak of '08, after over a hundred years otherwise, we didn't even have to purify our water in the city of Alamosa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living