Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:48 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,462 times

Advertisements

Never said it was sileage. Our square baled alfalfa and baled hay sat out to weather until sold. If not sold, by spring we'd run it thru a shedder and feed it to the cows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 09:24 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
You must have a desert climate and grow irrigated alfalfa in your area of Colorado.

In Minnesota, there is a twice monthly hay auction that attracts up to 180 semi loads of hay per sale.( Canada, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, and MN )

Big squares of alfalfa hay that were stored outside with no tarps would fetch a very low price.

With good alfalfa bringing $ 140 a ton, nobody is gonna let it set exposed to the weather unless it was in a desert.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:13 AM

Yes - 8100 elev

Yes - grown up to 8750 elev

Yes - very dry, almost desert except for the two rivers on either side of the farm

Only 2 cuts - first cut sold for $100-140/ton

Old 11-19-2010, 01:34 PM

375 posts, read 1,381,477 times
We didn't cover our alfalfa in No Central Wyoming either, mostly cuz it got sold fast.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:41 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
So rather than selling it, or giving this valuable nutrient away. They store it?

I see many dairies, and have not seen manure stored in such a manner.

I have seen manure in piles where they were harvesting methane for tractor fuel though.

Where I grew up covered piles were always sileage. And now around here it is sileage.
Commercial Diaries do not grow feed for hundreds or thousands of their cows, it's trucked from far away. Frequently, commercial diaries don't even have enough of (or any) land to spread all that manure on, this is especially true for the "suburban" mega diaries. Manure is stored in open pits for long long time, if not "forever", you don't have to be an Amish to have stinking and overflowing with rain water "lagoon".

Because of the insane subsidy system bastardized by US government and BIG agrobiz 30 something years ago, growing your own feed for your cows is more expensive then buying soy/corn/hay and trucking it from Kansas, Iowa, Illinois or Nebraska ... since government would not pay subsidies on the feed you grow yourself but it would subsidize Iowa mega corn farms, rain or shine. And keep in mind that government has "Interstate Commerce Clause" in its sleeve if big profits & big brother will be threatened by your homegrown feed, google "Wickard v. Filburn".

Anyway, thank you all ARSEHOLES involved in inventing these INSANE policies for transforming rural agro landscapes into monotonous corn&soy bean deserts occasionally sprinkled with CAFOs.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Anyway, thank you all ARSEHOLES involved in inventing these INSANE policies for transforming rural agro landscapes into monotonous corn&soy bean deserts occasionally sprinkled with CAFOs.
What put us out was the required beef checkoff program, which incidentally applies to sheep and hogs too. We lost money on the animals, and so it was the alfalfa that kept us in biz. Had I done it over again, I would have had bison and alfalfa.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:06 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,862 times
In NY, some of the Amish were threatening to leave to escape having their animals numbered, which they consider the "mark of the beast system". I don't know if they have that in the states they're showing up in now.

Here's a couple of articles about their expansion westward:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_663323.html

Amish - Westward ho for Amish - Los Angeles Times

My brother lived for years with Amish neighbors in PA. Like any other segment of society, they have some bad apples. He used to tell me about one guy who would let you take his picture if you gave him some cigarettes.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:39 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
In NY, some of the Amish were threatening to leave to escape having their animals numbered, which they consider the "mark of the beast system". I don't know if they have that in the states they're showing up in now.

Here's a couple of articles about their expansion westward:

Amish Population Growth: Numbers Increasing, Heading West

Amish - Westward ho for Amish - Los Angeles Times

My brother lived for years with Amish neighbors in PA. Like any other segment of society, they have some bad apples. He used to tell me about one guy who would let you take his picture if you gave him some cigarettes.
That precedent would surely destroy the world in a quick way.

There was an Amish kid who fell in some water in the San Luis Valley, he almost drowned. They had him choppered to Denver and the Amish community paid his hospital bill which exceeded six figures.

I welcome the Amish people. Its the alcoholics and control freaks who worry me.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonelsewhere View Post
according to the article from the OP link, land price about $1400 per acre in Colorado, they could buy land in Maine for half of the price.

But it'd be more rocks than dirt.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:31 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
That precedent would surely destroy the world in a quick way.

There was an Amish kid who fell in some water in the San Luis Valley, he almost drowned. They had him choppered to Denver and the Amish community paid his hospital bill which exceeded six figures.

I welcome the Amish people. Its the alcoholics and control freaks who worry me.
The Amish don't believe in insurance. The community is supposed to take care of its own. They don't even have to pay social security and disability taxes because they have a religious objection and don't collect it even when they're eligible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living