U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:03 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,534,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
My husband said, just this morning, "Ah, life in the country - when your wife calls you up and gives you hell for running off with her fencing tool." (In my defense, he knew I was walking fenceline and doing repair this morning and forgot and took it with him anyway.)
ROFLMAO!!!!!
So true....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 11:37 PM

37,131 posts, read 43,045,810 times
My S.O. says he would be, but the longer I live with him, the more I have my doubts that he'd truly enjoy it as more than just a novel diversion. He's born and bred in the city, and with the exception of a year or so spent working in remote West Texas, he's just lived an extremely high percentage of his life in urban areas with a lot of urban amenities.

I was raised on a farm in a rural area, so my perspective is different.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:30 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times
Good golly...running off with a fencing tool, now in some parts of these here United of States that is an offense punishable by death!

Seriously though, those fencing tools are pretty indispensable.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:07 AM

9,961 posts, read 19,289,492 times
It is so difficult to keep one's DH out of one's tool box. Hmpf! Even painting them pink doesn't keep him from borrowing my tools and leaving them someplace else. He's got his own red roll around toolbox, but he still digs in mine.

Well, if it is digging in the dirt, he kinda figures that's my kuleana (sphere of responsibility). If I want to dig in a lot of dirt, he will find and fix up a tractor for me, actually, after he gets the tractor repaired, he will probably drive it around for me, too. If it farm work with machinery, then he will help. Feeding critters he's not keen on, especially after he had that "discussion" with the geese involving holding bread over their heads so he could take it to the feeder. He still doesn't understand why they bit him and tried to get him to drop the bread instead of waiting for it to be taken to the other side of the yard so they could eat it out of the feeder like civilized geese. As for planting and weeding - unless there is a motorized tool involved - he's not keen on.

He doesn't mind if I have a farm, he's all for that and he will take care of anything machine like so he's kinda on board about the farm thing. Fortunately it is a very small farm and mostly permaculture.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:10 AM

15,584 posts, read 7,660,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Now this is the strange part. When I met my first wife, she was from the suburbs but absolutely adored the farm here and started out really loving how things went here. But little by little she grew to really despise it here and was always gone whenever possible. It got to the point where every Friday or Saturday night she wanted to go out, because "it's Friday Night". Well life on a farm does not work that way. You just can't go out every Friday because its a Friday night.
That's true. Life on either a full time farm or a part time homestead type place that I have is a lot of work to keep up. Many of my suburban counterparts do not realize that and often wonder why I can't make it out on many Friday and Saturday nights. Not that easy when you want to get up early the next morning to tackle that chore you've been fighting the weather to get done... Also not that easy to stay out late and make the long drive home at 2 am when you've spent the day outside working. Sleep makes a little more sense. Sure, I like to go out but I've got to be sure to not to plan on accomplishing anything that weekend to make that happen.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
When I still had the dairy cows, it was difficult to make many events ( weddings, anniversaries, graduation parties , etc) if they were more than an hour away due to a twice a day milking schedule.

The wife didn't like to go alone, but I told her that many times it would be the only option if she wanted to attend.

We have gone together to a relatives wedding-------church at 1:00, reception afterwards, dinner to follow, more reception and dance afterwards.

When it appeared dinner would start serving at 5:00, we had to leave, catch a burger at a fast food, and eat on the way home.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
A few of my neighbors had the saying---" I own my cows, they don't own me. I come first"

They didn't last long in the dairy farming business and soon went broke.

For a dairy farmer, your cows must come first and you need a spouse who shares that sentiment.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:39 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,534,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
A few of my neighbors had the saying---" I own my cows, they don't own me. I come first"

They didn't last long in the dairy farming business and soon went broke.
See, I don't GET that attitude. Boggles my mind, it's like astrophysics, I don't understand it in theory or practice. Your livelihood, your well-being, everything is wrapped up in your soil and animals. Leaving the farm for any length of time, or feeling like you don't have to be there, weekends, holidays, day in and day out - it ain't a hobby, it has to be a way of life or you not only don't get the benefits, you're not being responsible to the animals or to what you claim is your whole goal and purpose.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times
My rule of thumb is to check on the livestock at least once per day. I am always here but if I wasn't, then I would have to have someone else here to check on them. That is just a rule I live by. The truth is though, I check my livestock far more times then that. It sounds silly but my farm is rolling hills and while I cannot see the sheep grazing from ground level...if I get on my roof I ca, I have a ladder propped against the house and 3-4 times a day I run up there and count sheep.

I told the wife I need to put a Lamb Cam up there on a controller, then do a constant feed to the internet so I can take a Blackberry and beable to check my sheep no matter where I am. She thought I was joking...nope that would be great, but then again I have a sheep nutritionist too so my sheep are well cared for.

As for vacations...they do say it is better to go on vacation now and then and perhaps they are right, but Murphy's Law seems to beat suggestions by others who ramble on and yet are without livestock...that is whenever I leave the farm for extended periods of time, something always goes wrong catastrophically. It has come to the point where I just expect that dreaded the world has gone to pot call. I fear it so much that I just dread leaving the farm now.

You are right though Marmac...I have an Uncle that had a dairy farm and while his farm is really quaint and small, he liked to go to Vegas half a dozen times a year. That was all well and good but after a year or so of that lifestyle he is selling his farm. It's only a matter of time before he will burn up all his money trying to pay for a champagne lifestyle with a beer budget, but he won't listen to us. When you start buying harley's and corvettes you are not reinvesting money in the farm and that kind of thing just never works out.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:14 PM

14,711 posts, read 45,808,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
See, I don't GET that attitude. Boggles my mind, it's like astrophysics, I don't understand it in theory or practice. Your livelihood, your well-being, everything is wrapped up in your soil and animals. Leaving the farm for any length of time, or feeling like you don't have to be there, weekends, holidays, day in and day out - it ain't a hobby, it has to be a way of life or you not only don't get the benefits, you're not being responsible to the animals or to what you claim is your whole goal and purpose.
True that. Although my grazing operation only accounts for a small % of our gross income, I try to approach it with the right attitude, one of stewardship rather than ownership - I think we are all preaching to the choir here, this is probably one of those "to those who understand, no explanation is necessary, to those that don't, no explanation is possible" topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living