U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 05:42 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times

Advertisements

Maine and Vermont have the best pastures in the world (due to climate, temperature, rainfall, forage and soil) and during the summer we can only get 1 cow per acre as a stocking rate.

If you saw 20 cows to the acre in Ohio in print somewhere, then it was on the MIG system (Managed intensive grazing) but the duration is a lot shorter then what is referred to as a stocking density. In that context its not an actual stocking rate, but animal units, per acre, per day. In other words you may be able to get 20 cows per the acre in Ohio, but it would only be for 1 day, after that you would have to move them to a new paddock. Even then they would be crowded and prone to stress and subsequent diseases I would think.

We had this discussion on a sheep forum, and I got blasted for saying the stocking rate for sheep in Maine is between 5-8 sheep per acre. Some one said they had but 50 sheep per acre and he lived in Maine as well. Yes...but the real question is, for how long?

Stocking density is the number of animals per acre per growing season that acre of forage can support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:12 PM

14,530 posts, read 11,948,033 times
Funny thing...When I visited Hawaii we went 'riding' on a ranch on Kuaui. They were running beef cattle and I had heard that beef was big business there. These beef were standing belly deep in the lushest grass I had ever seen ...starving. They have to ship in alfalfa (a lot of it comes from my neck of the woods...cubes) to keep their herds alive. I guess the grass has no nutrients in it. They can't fatten up.. Kinda like trying to live on watermelon from what the gal told me. Seems an expensive way to run cattle. At least they don't have coyotes or cats. That makes calving time a bit easier.. It's not just the mere precense of feed, it's the quality of said feed as well. Your beef is what it eats.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:21 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,229,725 times
Here ya go cowboy.
http://Morning Side Cattle Co.

Okie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living