U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:23 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,930,805 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a favorite book or website on canning veggies and fruits at home? I've never done it myself, but would like to try canning some green beans and corn, maybe some plums, this year.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 02:29 PM

6,277 posts, read 6,435,802 times
Check with your state university ag extension service. They usually have loads of info directly relating to your area.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:11 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,538,452 times
Always, always, always - the Ball Blue Book of Preserving. The first and last word on canning. There's a canning forum on here somewhere too... I think in the Garden section, maybe? It's out of stock right now on Amazon; everyone's doing it! But I'll bet you can find it somewhere. Canning isn't hard at all, with the right equipment and careful attention to pressures.

But don't neglect the ability to freeze and dehydrate, either! I'm just finishing up last year's dehydrated tomatoes... green beans can be dehydrated on a string ("Leather breeches - or britches - beans").

Old 06-09-2009, 06:39 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,315,083 times
Books*|*Cookery and Preservation*|*Canning and Preserving - Lehmans.com

UMaine Cooperative Extension books and publications online - So Easy to Preserve

Old 06-09-2009, 07:40 PM

4,249 posts, read 8,254,440 times
The best approach is that Blue Book on Canning - it lets you softly deep your canning toes into making a strawberry jam... Even before the table of contents (I think?). That dispels the overwhelming feeling of the novice. Because it's not hard - a pot of cooking berries w/sugar, a pot of water with jars, and tools to handle hot jars. That's it!

And here's one more website, "How to can anything":

How to Can, Freeze, Dry and Preserve Any Fruit or Vegetable at Home (http://www.pickyourown.org//allaboutcanning.htm - broken link)

Old 06-09-2009, 09:27 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,930,805 times
Thanks for the replies everybody!

Old 06-11-2009, 04:30 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,700,158 times
I did the blue book on canning for years but other than some meat and fish I prefer the vacuum pack freezing for the most part now. Have fun.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:10 PM

18,288 posts, read 20,813,997 times
Here's the canning link on C-D Who does Canning here?

I prefer canning as we have lost power many times due to nature or other sources losing freezer contents. My canned jars stay shelf ready for a few years if I need them to be but usually just have a rotation of the previous year's garden worth now that my family is decreasing.

Ball Blue Book (BBB) is like the bible of canning for sure. Once you start home canning you won't believe the taste differrence that is better than store bought.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:44 AM

481 posts, read 661,876 times
I am also new to canning. I didn't want to buy a book so I found this great website and used it instead.

How to Can, Freeze, Dry and Preserve Any Fruit or Vegetable at Home

Old 08-20-2009, 08:30 AM

8,004 posts, read 10,202,632 times
The Ball Blue Book is definitely a good one.....however, I used to have a Kerr canning book as well. Internet sites and county extension web sites are very useful as well. Once you get your feet wet, you will find that canning is simple. If you want to do low acid foods such as meat, fish or vegetables (excluding tomatoes "fruit") you will need to invest in a good pressure cooker though. I have a suggestion (this is from someone who has been canning her whole life.....came from a canning family too), do NOT invest in a pressure cooker that you have to buy rubber gaskets for. It is well worth the little bit of extra money to purchase a cooker that is "self-sealing". Every time you have to buy a new sealing gasket for your pressure cooker, you're looking at at LEAST $15 a pop. If you do greasy foods or do not properly condition and care for that gasket 0R use it a lot, you may replace it every year. If they are out of gaskets at the stores.....you could find yourself knee deep in food to can and waiting on the new gasket. Trust me....it's well worth the money to buy one that does not need replacement gaskets. I actually bought my pressure cookers second hand years ago. One of them had to have a new pressure gauge, but it was well worth it. To be honest with you, I spent close to $100 for a Presto that required new rubber gaskets.....got ahold of my Americans that don't use gaskets......and simply gave away my Presto to someone who didn't have a pressure canner. I own a mid size and a large canner that allows me to double stack pints. Invest wisely in your equipment and don't forget to look at garage sales, second hand stores, etc. Sometimes the older canning equipment is far better quality than the new stuff they sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or