U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:13 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,965,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You know you live in a big town when you're no longer phased by the helicopters flying over your n'hood looking for the guys who just robbed the convenience store (or the liquor store, or the bank, or...)
You know you live in a big town when you realize the company you work for has "over 39 convenient locations to serve our customers".
It sounds like your with a bank or insurance broker Or.....

MaCdonalds..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 07:40 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever you want View Post
You know you live in a "BIG" Town when...

Nobody recognizes you soley by your pickup truck head lights/cab lights at night.

Any type of franchise is in town.

You have a P.O.Box instead of RFD.

You can go into a place to shop and do nothing BUT shop....no gossiping or checking up on neighbors.

You hear sirens and it ain't just at noontime.
---" You have a P.O. Box instead of RFD--"
?????????????????????

That would be the difference between living in a small town and living in the country.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:45 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You know you live in a big town when your kids go out for football or cheerleading and don't make the traveling team.

You know you live in a big town when there are two people who want to be mayor.

You know you live in a big town when stores and restaurants have paved parking lots.

You know you live in a big town when the grocery store has an express lane.

You know you live in a big town when you drive across the bridge and there are no kids swimming or fishing in the river.

You know you live in a big town when the funeral home and the furniture store have different names.

You know you live in a big town when two drivers going in opposite directions pull off the road to talk to each other.

You know you live in a big town when the school has two busses.

You know you live in a big town when kids wear their baseball caps backwards.

You know you live in a big town when the HS football field has bleachers on both sides.
------"You know you live in a big town when the school has two busses "-
?????????????????-

Our school has 6 busses, and doubt anyone ( besides you ) would call that town of 400 residents a ---big town --

Old 02-21-2010, 11:34 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,211,705 times
--Stars at night look like foreign objects!

I am from a small town of 4,000 and now live in a neighboring city of 70,000 near downtown. The entire area is growing, but a friend and I went to see another of our friends preach at a church in the middle of nowhere about 30 minutes away. I was blown away at how much colder it was and that the sky was so clear and beautiful. That's one thing I miss about living back at home, but I personally prefer the conveniences of my larger city.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:47 AM

4,805 posts, read 20,533,551 times
It's funny I always thought I lived in big cities--San Francisco, Chicago, DC.

Guess not, judging by this list! Entrance ramps and freeways aren't part of my everyday life, nor is traffic at all, I don't live in fear of drug dealers or criminals or plan my life around them, I can and do walk to work and all of my errands....

The only thing I can conclude from this list is that a lot of people who live in small towns don't know anything about life in a big city.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 AM

3,429 posts, read 5,259,845 times
If you move just one mile and can't keep your phone number because you are now in a different exchange.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:37 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,965,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
It's funny I always thought I lived in big cities--San Francisco, Chicago, DC.

Guess not, judging by this list! Entrance ramps and freeways aren't part of my everyday life, nor is traffic at all, I don't live in fear of drug dealers or criminals or plan my life around them, I can and do walk to work and all of my errands....

The only thing I can conclude from this list is that a lot of people who live in small towns don't know anything about life in a big city.
I'd say that alot of people living in Small Towns do know and have experienced Big City life and that's one reason why they nolonger live there.
I'll admit to being one of them.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:22 PM

11,179 posts, read 14,817,122 times
Definition of a big city?

If you go by some peoples definitions there are only a half dozen "big cities" in the whole country! I guess if it's not part of a Megalopolis it doesn't count?
OTOH I had to lol at a poster in another forum who wanted to move somewhere new and one of the criteria was that the new city be at least as big as Chicago, as if there were dozens of cities that size to choose from.
Count me as another who was happy to go from big city to small town.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:57 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,533,551 times
Quote:
I'd say that alot of people living in Small Towns do know and have experienced Big City life and that's one reason why they nolonger live there.
I'll admit to being one of them.
I did say it seems like a lot not all small towners don't know about big city living. I'm just saying most of the descriptions here of 'small towns' also describe big towns. Given that so many of these descriptions were apparently made with the thought that they were unique small town markers, it is apparent that there are at least quite a few people who are not familiar with big city life.

I'm sure there are, indeed, plenty of people who have lived in big cities and then moved to small towns and prefer the latter. But the comments on this thread do not describe preference, they describe town characteristics.

Last edited by kodaka; 02-22-2010 at 04:07 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 06:45 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,378,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
You know you live in a small town and have never lived in a big city when...

You think that every city neighborhood is dangerous
I had more trouble with break ins in my small, diverse-free town of 7,000 people than my neighborhood of about 7,000 people in St Louis.

You think that your car or house is safe from a break-in
My car was broken in to 3 times in 6 months in that same town. My sister was robbed blind during the day when she was at work - came home to find all of her valuables missing.

You think that your small town is immune to crime
See above

You think that your small town is immune to rampant drug use
Watched drug deals from my apartment window, in that same town. Had my neighbor knock on my door because someone had just tried breaking in to his apartment with a crow bar - again, broad daylight - when my wife was at home.

You think that any city of over 50,000 people is a burning war zone
Needs no explanation

You think that anyone that wants to leave your small town is an idiot, because after all, the world starts and stops at your town's city limits
[b]Still get questions like "Is living in the city scary?" Those exact words.

You think that people in cities spend all day in traffic
My 10 mile commute to the suburbs in the morning is 25 minutes - 10 mile commute in the evening is about 30. This is with 5 miles of the interstate I would usually take being closed and having to take side streets.

You honestly believe that going to a park at night means you have to fight off hookers and drug dealers
Just simply not true

You believe that your lifestyle choice is superior to everyone's else, then get mad when you think a city person believes the same way about their lifestyle choice
See most of the posts on this thread
This is 100% accurate. One of the best posts I have seen at city data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living