Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 PM

411 posts, read 1,164,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTrail View Post
... when the place you live (or any city over 50,000) wasn't chosen by CNNMoney as one of the Top 100 places to live in the U.S.
That's definitely not true, at least for other companies/websites that do the same top 100 lists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
It's funny I always thought I lived in big cities--San Francisco, Chicago, DC.

Guess not, judging by this list! Entrance ramps and freeways aren't part of my everyday life, nor is traffic at all, I don't live in fear of drug dealers or criminals or plan my life around them, I can and do walk to work and all of my errands....

The only thing I can conclude from this list is that a lot of people who live in small towns don't know anything about life in a big city.
Amen to that!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I'd say that alot of people living in Small Towns do know and have experienced Big City life and that's one reason why they nolonger live there.
I'll admit to being one of them.
But many of the stereotypes upheld here are not always true.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:21 PM

Hi everyone. I live in a city of about 65,000 people and I am wondering if that is considered a big town/city to many of you. Also, you always hear about small towns where everyone knows everyone and their business, but do places like that actually exist? Are there really towns where you can't go to the grocery store without chatting with numerous ppl you know, towns where people stop in the middle of a road to talk, or towns where you can ask to pay for your groceries later if you forgot your wallet? I thought my town of 65K was small, but I guess not. Would a city that has maybe 10 intersections where there may be 10 cars waiting for the light on one side alone be too much for some people. Haha I guess that is just mind boggling to me cause I always thought I lived in a small city and have always wanted to live in a big city (hence my location status ). Anyway, thanks!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,418,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
But many of the stereotypes upheld here are not always true.
And you know that for a fact?

Old 07-15-2010, 01:19 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,059,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Hi everyone. I live in a city of about 65,000 people and I am wondering if that is considered a big town/city to many of you. Also, you always hear about small towns where everyone knows everyone and their business, but do places like that actually exist? Are there really towns where you can't go to the grocery store without chatting with numerous ppl you know, towns where people stop in the middle of a road to talk, or towns where you can ask to pay for your groceries later if you forgot your wallet? I thought my town of 65K was small, but I guess not. Would a city that has maybe 10 intersections where there may be 10 cars waiting for the light on one side alone be too much for some people. Haha I guess that is just mind boggling to me cause I always thought I lived in a small city and have always wanted to live in a big city (hence my location status ). Anyway, thanks!
Um My grandma used to live in Lucan, MN which has a population of around 300 people. I lived in a city of less then 3000 people for over 16 years, so I dont know how can u classify 65k is small. I currently live in a city of about 60-65k

Old 07-15-2010, 01:20 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,059,117 times
Quote:
And um are all the stereotypes about small towns true?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:04 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,474,809 times
what can I say--living in a sprawling metropolis--certain it has been said
when you cannot leave your subdivision because the traffic on the interstates snarled at 5AM because a tractor trailer overturned 30 miles from your house and drivers had to be rerouted on surface streets

you know then

Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Yes, as a matter of fact I do. If you'd like me to explain, I'd be happy to. Just let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Um My grandma used to live in Lucan, MN which has a population of around 300 people. I lived in a city of less then 3000 people for over 16 years, so I dont know how can u classify 65k is small. I currently live in a city of about 60-65k
Interesting. I guess it's all relative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
And um are all the stereotypes about small towns true?
Of course not. People think small towns are crime free and full of nice people but that is not always true. Sure sometimes it may be true, but not always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
what can I say--living in a sprawling metropolis--certain it has been said
when you cannot leave your subdivision because the traffic on the interstates snarled at 5AM because a tractor trailer overturned 30 miles from your house and drivers had to be rerouted on surface streets
you know then
Wow, what city is that?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:14 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,895,598 times
Default It's all relative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
You know you live in a big town when there are 2 public high schools in the city limits
Pasadena is a small town and it has four public high schools in the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living