U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Percentage Of Rural People Think A Town Of 50,000 Qualifies As A Big City ?
100% 9 16.07%
90% 8 14.29%
80% 4 7.14%
70% 3 5.36%
60% 2 3.57%
50% 8 14.29%
40% 3 5.36%
30% 6 10.71%
20% 0 0%
10% 13 23.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:33 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,766 times

Advertisements

I have always disliked sarcastic statements myself and try to keep them to myself, but I really try to stick up for the smaller and underprivileged people of this world too.

I spent 9 months straight working in Queens in the slums back in the ole Long Island Railroad and Amtrak days, and while it boggled my mind that people would live like that, I realized it was what they grew up with, and so that is their home. They could no more live where I do, then I could live there.

So to that end, I don't go to many other sub-forums on here much, and certainly I don't put down urban living whatsoever. They are there because they want to... and good for them. Home is home and as long as you work with your community to improve it...then good for them.

But it does really nick my sheep when people insist on coming here and bashing us. The people that think homesteaders/farmers are stupid, have a lot to learn. It takes a fair amount of knowledge and self-confidence just to get by, and the smaller the town, the less people to spread the load upon, the farther away the services, and thus the harder the struggle.

In the urban environment that has been crafted and molded according to what man deems is workable; that is a area where one must be knowledgeable about the motivations and dangers of fellow human beings. In rural settings, where people are generally your allies and mother nature conspires against almost daily; you must be knowledgeable about nature.

I don't do DM's so it was not me either who contacted AJohnston_STL, but it does annoy me when people do not realize that understanding mother nature (soil, weather patterns, livestock, equipment repair, effeciency, etc) entails an incredible amount of knowlege. I also have seen first hand that the farther we gravitate from the food we eat, the more value some of this stuff will acquire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 693,079 times
My goodness! A mean-spirited, completely unsubtle putdown of people who choose to live differently from the OP. How clever he must think he has been, but we small town (and no town :P ) hicks are probably too stupid to understand how witty he was, how sad for us. I wonder if he is so condescending towards all who don't fit into the neat little cubicle world he finds to be so wondrous and exciting? What a lovely person you are to come here to have your little bit of fun at our expense.

Personally, I hate big city living. Pollution, crowding, crime, and rudeness surround you there. Sure there are nightclubs and theatres and restaurants...but those of us who don't live in the urban jungle can always drive there should we feel the need.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:36 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,847,114 times
I don't know what "rural people" in general think, but my city is over 53,000, and I think of it as a big city.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:20 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,092,512 times
I certainly don;t thnik anyone seeing the slums of many big city can make that mistake. 50,000 is a medium size city really and only the begin of that size. Even a 100,000 isn;t that big.Big cities start at about a millon and go much larger IMO.I ahve lived inmany size cities and towens. personally i now live in a town of 12,ooo near towns of 50,000+ and 100'000+ within 20 miles and find this just the right size. has the samll town feel with the convenience of most thing scity as far as services etc.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:16 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,949,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
I would imagine that a very large pecentage of rural people would be in awe and amazement that it is even Humanly possible for a town to have 50,000 people. Since they are not even used to living in towns with more than 50 people let alone 50,000 people.
Huh? Lol, do you honestly think that we country folk think the world ends at the road out of the valley? I can't speak for everyone, but I live out here because I like the space and the activities that go along with rural life. The self reliance, and lack of people telling me how to keep my yard and raise my kids is a plus.l. I much prefer waking up to the sound of horses and cattle instead of horns and sirens too and coyotes yippin' and the moon rise beats streetlights coming on and city sounds as well. As to what I see as a 'big city', that would start at something like San Fran. Reno is the closest 'city' to me and I consider that a medium sized place. Now Vegas, thats good sized.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:07 PM

2,196 posts, read 2,449,364 times
I'd say alot of them do, but many country towns do have several 1000 ppl, but for them 50,000 ppl in a town would be too crowded.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:15 PM

2,196 posts, read 2,449,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
No, out in the kountry we like to bryng out a couple of banjos and and relly whoop it up. After that it is tieing turists to trees and see how loud they can skweal like a pigs. Then its over to Sister's house to cee if she wants to go on one of them there dates we always have on a Fryday nights...she's really good you no. Yep one tyme during after-glow she even helped me pull out my last remaining tooth. It was really hurting because aye drink nuthing but Mt Dew and Honey Dew Vine Water (whyte lighntining) so I can get good and drunk and beat up my favorite hunting dog since he didn't get that there coon last weekend at Uncle Bubba's camp.

Yep...that there is the important things we do out here in this here country I tell you. We would never be so silly as to do anything important like feed people in the city with our farms or ranches. That's crazy talk.

(A post with an incredible amount of sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek humor)
LMAO, this small city boy is loving your sarcasm. My hometown, the city limits has a little over 70,000 ppl, but the city as a whole(including the outerlying areas that pay the city taxes) we have about 85,000. But we still have alot of rural area. and rural living can be quite stunning.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:16 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,029,820 times
Thats funny live 25 miles from what I consider a Large City,told my DIL I hate driving there.She insist it isn't a Large City.

There is 3000 people there.Traffic all the time,have to fight to get out on the Main Highway going through town.I just really get sick when I get back from there.

brushrunner

Old 08-18-2010, 05:36 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,734,442 times
Regardless of what a place calls itself, either in name or it's own mind, there are legal definitions of the designations (city, town, village, etc) -- population, industrial centers, type of government, and land size. Most times these vary a bit from state to state, but in cartography the size of your star or dot is usually determined solely by the population # and density. So, you could have a "city" star on a smaller community because there are a lot of people packed in there, and a "town" star on a bigger community because it's population isn't as high or as dense.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that we have Metropolises, Cities, Towns, and Villages... but maybe we all define these a little differently in relation to what we're used to. So, someone outside Omaha would consider it a "big" city, but someone from LA wouldn't even consider it to be a city at all... although legally and cartographically it is a "city" because it meets the criteria as such in Nebraska.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:09 PM

6,792 posts, read 4,377,613 times
Well I lived for 2 years in London England, does that count as a big city...?

Didn't like it that much, too much dirt, too many people, too much congestion. My home "village" as it was known had a population of 100,000 (the same size as Boulder CO), it didn't have an Italian restaurant either, it did have Pizza places. The entire Metro area was ~1M (depending on how the defined the metro area) and it was ranked #5 for the UK, but would put it at #10 on a US ranking. Now I'm living outside of a place that has a population of 72 (we had a birth and death so the population remained the same) in AK and I'm loving it.

However if the OP is rating civilization as Italian Restaurants, I'd like to draw a point here, Pizza and Pasta joints are not real Italian there's far more to Italian cuisine than just Pizza and Pasta ever heard of Risotto? How about Polenta? And which region are we discussing too, Lazian, Lombard, Tuscan, Sicilian, Romagnan, Val D'Aostan or one of the other regions.

I'd say that of the US cities I've been to I've only found about 3-4 restaurants that are comparable to those found in Italy (of course the Italians that live in Italy may have their restaurants all wrong ) I've only found them in Chicago, New York, and LA (there may be more, but not in the places that I've visited). Also by this measure, wouldn't that make Italy the most desirable and civilized place on earth to reside...?

For example Aosta (in Val D'Aosta region of Northern Italy) has a population of 35,000 and I'm pretty sure that it has many Italian restaurants and certainly more than one, thus would this make it a big city? Of course the same rating for French, Chinese, German, Japanese, and Thai etc. could apply. So are you in a big city if you don't have a Thai restaurant, and what if someone who's eaten Thai food in Thailand doesn't agree that it's Thai (which in the majority of cases I do not) but some watered down Thai version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living