U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:18 AM

8,308 posts, read 34,856,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

This one was in Florida. This one has tusks, domestic pigs don't have tusks.

Wild Boar USA Magazine
An amazing thing about domestic pigs:

So long as they are on the farm they are pink, tuskless fine haired creatures that could even be called "cute". If they escape and go feral, they grow thick, dark hair, grow tusks, and start to look like the guy in your picture. Any offspring born feral will have the elongated snout and will look like proper feral hogs (see Hillman's post for examples of "proper" feral hogs). The guy in your picture is a first generation feral hog. His shortened snout tells the tale of his domestic birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 03:45 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,959,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Depending on where you are you shouldn't need a gun license (or any license for that matter) to kill wild hogs. They are on the "At any time, by any means" list. There is a serious and concerted effort to not just hunt but eradicate wild hogs.

The problem is that they are very clever and adaptible animals, they recognize hunting patterns and become very difficult to find when subjected to hunting pressure and they reproduce extremely quickly. A sow reaches reproductive age at about 8 months and can whelp 1,000 piglets by the age of 5. If you have an established population on your land, they can reproduce faster than a single landowner with a rifle can kill them.

The primary areas of infestation are Texas and the Southeastern states, but they have spread as far north as Canada.

The picture in the OP is a world record feral hog, but it was a the result of a "canned hunt", if you will. Far more typical are boars between 300 and 600 lbs. and sows in the 150 lb. range (
Quote:
that guy in the picture was around 1,500 lbs.)
Tell him that.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:49 PM

There are some people in OK who get paid to trap and kill them.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:41 AM

315 posts, read 988,624 times
The area of NW Mississippi where I grew up borders the MS River, and is protected from flooding by a large levee system. Civilization and cultivation basically stops at the levee, leaving the remaining area as an unofficial game preserve. Wild hogs are as common in this area as mosquitoes. We used dogs to hunt them- that's how I got into Great Danes. A hog is a dangerous animal to hunt- a boar is smart and armor plated, and will keep coming until you get a drop shot. A sow with piglets can be worse- if you spook the babies, she will hunt you. Not much fun on foot in heavy brush.

Last edited by oldenfatt; 06-26-2009 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-27-2009, 08:34 AM

563 posts, read 2,338,246 times
We have them down here in Northeast Florida. They were more common about 5 years ago when I first came down here. With a lot of the development, I do not see the boars anymore but occasionally see the smaller ones, similar to pot belly pigs. I do not get close enough to see the detail as they can be real nasty. They can really tear through things. Occasionally, I see some dead ones on the side of the road--some are huge.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:24 AM

I've seen them cut clean in half on the RR tracks.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:07 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,949,868 times
In the small farming valley in Mendocino county CA where I finished high school, there were feral hogs all over the place. They could taer thing up quick fast and in a hurry. The ranch I worked on was loaded with them. I still love to hunt them. There were a few (very few) Russian boars around there and occasionally we ran across hybrids. Pigs can be nasty customers. They are a challenging hunt and the meat is usually pretty darn good. They breed rapidly in the proper climate, and can become a nuisance in short order as well.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Status: "living in a political world, where mercy walks the plank" (set 12 days ago)

21,724 posts, read 22,532,588 times
Quote:

This one was in Florida. This one has tusks, domestic pigs don't have tusks.

Wild Boar USA Magazine
I believe that this "boar" is a domesticated pig with a couple peeled bananas shoved in it's mouth. However, the photo did catch the image of a ghost in the background that I believe to be Ponce de Leon still looking for the Fountain of Youth.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:02 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,949,868 times
Quote:
I watched a program on the Discovery channel about "wild boars" running amok in rural farm areas! Is this true?

Have any of you had encounters with a wild boar where you live?

If so how big was it?

Pennsylvania hog farmers face risk to herd from imported wild hogs | Farm and Dairy - The Auction Guide and Rural Marketplace

Hogs gone wild | hogs, texas, feral - Local - Brownsville Herald (http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/hogs-99008-texas-feral.html - broken link)
The pig in this picture , I believe, was taken in Georgia. I remember the story on the news. There was an attempt to tarnish the harvest of this animal by anti hunting newsie types. They tryed to say this was someones escaped barnyard pet.. Yea whatever, domestic hogs don't hair up like that, this does appear to be a feral and not a razorback or Russian however. The snouts wrong for the latter two and he's not tusked out that much for his size either. It was reported that the boy took this critter with a .44 Mag, (I believe that's a SW629 hunter package he's holding...the stainless cylinder leads me to believe that's the case) Lol, I would have felt better with something more substantial with a hog of this size, so kudos to the kid for his shot placement. I use my .45 Colt Marlin 94 for feral hogs to good effect with handloads, but the biggest hog taken off the ranch I hunt on was around 450 #'s. I've never seen a feral this big. Truthfully, the meat off this animal was probably not that good. OK for stewing maybe, and thats a LOT of sausage. Younger, smaller, animals are much tastier, especially if you want spare ribs and chops.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:56 AM

3,338 posts, read 4,779,061 times
Even domestic boers can grow tusks, or as we called them fighter teeth. We would snip these teeth out as baby pigs.

There aren't any wild boers in SD, only wild bores who usually infest our downtowns on friday and saturday nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living