U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:03 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,806,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The pig in this picture , I believe, was taken in Georgia. I remember the story on the news. There was an attempt to tarnish the harvest of this animal by anti hunting newsie types. They tryed to say this was someones escaped barnyard pet.. Yea whatever, domestic hogs don't hair up like that, this does appear to be a feral and not a razorback or Russian however. The snouts wrong for the latter two and he's not tusked out that much for his size either. It was reported that the boy took this critter with a .44 Mag, (I believe that's a SW629 hunter package he's holding...the stainless cylinder leads me to believe that's the case) Lol, I would have felt better with something more substantial with a hog of this size, so kudos to the kid for his shot placement. I use my .45 Colt Marlin 94 for feral hogs to good effect with handloads, but the biggest hog taken off the ranch I hunt on was around 450 #'s. I've never seen a feral this big. Truthfully, the meat off this animal was probably not that good. OK for stewing maybe, and thats a LOT of sausage. Younger, smaller, animals are much tastier, especially if you want spare ribs and chops.
Ok this is what I found you decide

snopes.com: Hogzilla

hillman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 02:59 PM

10,526 posts, read 10,445,738 times
A few years back we had a few wild boar's that made their way across the Ohio River from West Virginia into southeastern Ohio and now they're moving from Washington County into Monroe and Noble County's and we have an open season on them just like we do coyotes.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:02 PM

14,530 posts, read 11,948,033 times
Ah, I had this pig mixed up with 'hogzilla'. This on was Alabama, the former was Georgia. Thats what I get for running on my aging memory.. Where I hunt hogs, I have never run across anything of this size. We raised one once that hung at 401 pounds, dressed and split. Big sow that started as a fair scramble critter. I waited a bit to long to butcher there. 200 pounds or so is about as big as you want to let them get. The big one turned out good considering though. She was fed on corn and hog pellets, so it wasn't a wasty animal. The ribs were tough though and I had the shoulders sausaged. 100 pounds of sausage total.. Had to split the hams too. They are HUGE. The biggest pig I saw taken where I hunt was about this same size. A tad over 400 pounds, a sow also, and she killed two dogs. The guy who took her was a dog kind of guy. I thought he was crazy. He had 5 dogs trained to run pigs, 3 after that time. They pinned it and he bailed in with a big knife. Looney tunes IMHO, but whatever trips yer trigger. Seems there is some debate as to the lineage of both 'hogzilla' and the Alabama pig both. It is entirely possible the Alabama hog was a released animal, but it had been out for a while from the looks of it. Safe to call a feral regardless of where it originally came from. But a barnyard lineage would explain the massive size. The feed would have to be exeptional for a born in the woods feral to get that big. It's fun food for thought anyway.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:14 AM

354 posts, read 1,107,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post

My cuz in Phoenix is literally overrun by javalinas. She can't even put out Halloween or Christmas decorations any more; the pigs totally destroy them. She isn't even in the country, but in a suburb - and hunting the javalinas is illegal where she is. Sun City Hilton Head (SC) and the nearby town of Bluffton is now overrun with packs them too - and that area is full of protectionists that don't care how many pigs tear up the nice landscaping or destroy property, they scream like wounded cats if anyone even suggests shooting them. "They're wildlife" - no they're not, they're like a pack of domesticated dogs that went feral. Once the woods started being cut down for the new high-end homes, they decided to take back their habitat.
Actually the javalina is native wildlife and scientists do not classify them as pigs but they resemble them except for they are much smaller. They are hunted in Arizona but you can't have hunters skulking around the shrubbery of your subdivision. People have to adapt to their environment and not put stuff that attracts them or the coyote which has an unhealthy interest in your cat.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:21 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,410,213 times
I do not live in an area with this problem, but watched a tv show about it. I guess originally these pigs escaped or were released into the wild. It said it does not take long at all when living in the wild to adopt their feral ways and behavior. They can be pretty mean and get into a lot of trouble. It said they are not as easy to hunt as one would think.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:28 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,900,792 times
We have problems with them in our area...I have a brother-in-law who's been having problems with them on his farm...so I've been able to go do some pig hunting this year any time I'd like!
Nothing like hogzilla, though, but it's amazing how much they can tear something up and how quickly.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:48 PM

380 posts, read 1,013,044 times
They make for fun hunting, especially using a bow without dogs, in southern WV.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:04 PM

7,936 posts, read 16,458,388 times
They are extremely common where I live in the Florida panhandle. One local urban legend says that the Air Force actually introduced a particularly ill-tempered form of Russian or Baltic superpig to the area in order to discourage people from venturing too close to AF test areas on their own.

My employer's main campus backs up to Air Force land, and in 2006-07 they had to actually hire trappers to catch and deal with a several hundred pound mama pig and a few of her offspring that had tried to set up their territory between the gym and astronomy observatory.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:05 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,787,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I think the wild boar problem in PA is exaggerated by those who get funding for a "problem." Some folks I know, knew of a few that got out from someone raising them for a hunting preserve. There's been no evidence of them for years now, due to concerted local action, but they were tasty. Now it's regulated, thus perpetuating the "problem," and the funding.

wow am constantly amazed at the things used for scamming here!

Old 03-13-2014, 02:21 PM

13,698 posts, read 15,855,332 times
Default Holy Moly! Look at this one! 500 lbs!

Hunter bags 500-pound wild boar you have to see to believe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living