U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:19 AM

19,943 posts, read 13,935,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I think it's very interesting that there are packs of wild pigs running around tearing up the countryside!

With all the hunters with gun licenses why aren't they out there shooting those boars?

From what I understand they all have a target on their heads from Fish and Game! Go huntin'!
I would love to hunt some. In my area there aren't any...yet.

On one hand I'd love to hunt them...on the other hand, I know what wild hogs can do to land...so I hope they don't make it to this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 10:31 PM

19,459 posts, read 21,424,034 times
I see them once in a while when I go deer hunting. I pull a tag once in awhile. Boar hunting is big money these days in some areas.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:48 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,491,477 times
The problem with using hunters to control the population is it is ingrained in hunters to help wildlife prosper and grow......not eradicate. To eradicate these pests you have to go about it entirely different. I hunt them with big bore an AR15 chambered in .458 Socom cal. 1 hit from that is all it takes. I stalk in close and line up a few shots. Start with the gilts or young sows. Shoot as many as possible when they start scrambling. Hopefully you have 3 or more guys with you so you can line them up along the likely escape route and it becomes a shooting gallery. Aim to get 3 or more per hunter. Round up the bodies and throw them in a ditch. Use rope please, they are infested with ticks and lice. Move on to the next group.

Instead people usually go hunt them. Select the biggest boar to shoot and only bag 1 or 2. That boar was replaced by another one before it hit the ground. Negligible effect on population. Instead if they pop a gilt or younger sow that is gonna be squeezing out 8-16 piglets 2 or 3 times a year and then you'll start having meaningful impact on the herd population.

Nothing wrong with hunting them, just don't act shocked that the population is exploding when everyone is hunting instead of exterminating.

And yes there is a huge problem with them in southern OK.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:20 PM

34,454 posts, read 43,301,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
The problem with using hunters to control the population is it is ingrained in hunters to help wildlife prosper and grow......not eradicate. To eradicate these pests you have to go about it entirely different. I hunt them with big bore an AR15 chambered in .458 Socom cal. 1 hit from that is all it takes. I stalk in close and line up a few shots. Start with the gilts or young sows. Shoot as many as possible when they start scrambling. Hopefully you have 3 or more guys with you so you can line them up along the likely escape route and it becomes a shooting gallery. Aim to get 3 or more per hunter. Round up the bodies and throw them in a ditch. Use rope please, they are infested with ticks and lice. Move on to the next group.

Instead people usually go hunt them. Select the biggest boar to shoot and only bag 1 or 2. That boar was replaced by another one before it hit the ground. Negligible effect on population. Instead if they pop a gilt or younger sow that is gonna be squeezing out 8-16 piglets 2 or 3 times a year and then you'll start having meaningful impact on the herd population.

Nothing wrong with hunting them, just don't act shocked that the population is exploding when everyone is hunting instead of exterminating.

Yes, the above. With hogs extermination should be the goal.

Why I always preferred to shoot whitetail does back when I hunted deer in overpopulated areas.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:54 AM

24,841 posts, read 32,884,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yes, the above. With hogs extermination should be the goal.

Why I always preferred to shoot whitetail does back when I hunted deer in overpopulated areas.
Yep, it is good to take a few does too.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:28 AM

19,943 posts, read 13,935,169 times
Quote:

Maybe I ought to head on down to Oklahoma to harvest a hog or 2. I shoot only does when I deer hunt...and I wouldn't have a problem with shooting a sow or two.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:59 AM

9,966 posts, read 19,294,912 times

This is a feral pig in Hawaii. They dig up my friend's garden so we trap them and fill the freezer. They are pretty good at this size, especially during guava or avocado season. The pigs from avocado season usually make the best sausage since they have more fat on them. I like the smaller ones since they are easier to process and it's not a huge chore. Once they get over a hundred pounds, then it gets to be an event to get them into the freezer.

Some folks around here hunt them for sport. They use dogs and then go in with a knife for the kill. I'm not brave enough for that, plus we want to eat them so trapping produces a much better carcass. Folks are of the opinion that young sows are the best for eating. Old boars are frequently used as dog food.

This was a slightly larger boar from the same trap a day or two after. There had been more than one pig digging up my friend's yard and garden. This is the most common size we get around here, nothing huge but big enough for a luau if we'd like. I usually make them into chops and roasts as well as sausage. It's about time to fill the freezer again, come to think of it.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,188 times
Quote:

Ok I have to agree with you I like shooting couple for the Freezer and I'm good. Most Hogs around here stay close to rivers and lakes. I have seen Hogs clear Corn fields in the Bottoms. I killed a 450 pound Boar largest one known to have been killed in the area.

brushrunner

Old 04-02-2014, 01:28 PM

186 posts, read 325,355 times
Believe it or not I've heard this is becoming a problem in NJ. Is it true that they are highly aggressive?

Old 04-02-2014, 03:28 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephil View Post
Believe it or not I've heard this is becoming a problem in NJ. Is it true that they are highly aggressive?
I never had one actually come at me. Scares my Son because I hunt from the ground, I use single Shot and can't run.

He actually says I'm out of my mind, told his Mom one of these days all they will find is pieces of me through the brush.

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living