Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:17 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times

Advertisements

I watched a program on the Discovery channel about "wild boars" running amok in rural farm areas! Is this true?

Have any of you had encounters with a wild boar where you live?

If so how big was it?

Pennsylvania hog farmers face risk to herd from imported wild hogs | Farm and Dairy - The Auction Guide and Rural Marketplace

Hogs gone wild | hogs, texas, feral - Local - Brownsville Herald (http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/hogs-99008-texas-feral.html - broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:41 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
There was a report of a herd of wild pot-bellied pigs in a game refuge in Western Minnesota.

The DNR thinks pot bellied pigs were turned loose a few years ago, have multiplied rapidly, and are destroying a lot of plants in the game refuge.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
Yup down here in NE GA I've seen a few that a pack of dogs killed, they weren't as big as the one in the photo tho.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Yup down here in NE GA I've seen a few that a pack of dogs killed, they weren't as big as the one in the photo tho.
I think it's very interesting that there are packs of wild pigs running around tearing up the countryside!

With all the hunters with gun licenses why aren't they out there shooting those boars?

From what I understand they all have a target on their heads from Fish and Game! Go huntin'!

Old 06-17-2009, 05:45 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,684,518 times
Where I grew up in SC, we always had wild boars. Mama pigs can have 6-12 piglets at a time, so the hunters are pretty much overtaken by their limits! DH when he was a youngun was chased by a pack while on his bicycle; they are fast and crafty. He finally ditched the bike and went up into a tree and the pigs stayed at the bottom of the tree for four hours. SC hunters have all sorts of "wild pig stories"! One year, two out-of-state hunters reached their limit and had an extra (illegal) one, so I got 60 lbs of self-butchered pork in the freezer. No matter how many you kill, there's always more in the woods.

My cuz in Phoenix is literally overrun by javalinas. She can't even put out Halloween or Christmas decorations any more; the pigs totally destroy them. She isn't even in the country, but in a suburb - and hunting the javalinas is illegal where she is. Sun City Hilton Head (SC) and the nearby town of Bluffton is now overrun with packs them too - and that area is full of protectionists that don't care how many pigs tear up the nice landscaping or destroy property, they scream like wounded cats if anyone even suggests shooting them. "They're wildlife" - no they're not, they're like a pack of domesticated dogs that went feral. Once the woods started being cut down for the new high-end homes, they decided to take back their habitat.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times
I think the wild boar problem in PA is exaggerated by those who get funding for a "problem." Some folks I know, knew of a few that got out from someone raising them for a hunting preserve. There's been no evidence of them for years now, due to concerted local action, but they were tasty. Now it's regulated, thus perpetuating the "problem," and the funding.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:06 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
wow I cannot believe that pic did that guy take him down with an elephant gun ? LOL !!! But seriously I have seen some big ones coming from missouri and have seen some really big ones in NE Georgia where my uncle has a country home and he has such a problem with them digging up his garden constantly and there is really nothing you can do other than shoot them . My uncle said he is basically giving up growing any kind of veggies or flowers they eat it all . LOL !!! They are a problem .

Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,228 times
I heard it is not limited to hogs either. A few years ago Ostrich Farming was all the rage, but like most Pyramid Schemes, the Ostrich/Emu craze played out and so people were forced to open up their gates and let the birds go into the wild to fend for themselves.

I heard that Texas had their first Ostrich hunt because the birds had somehow survived and were of significant numbers to allow a hunt. That was last fall but it was just something I heard.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Where I grew up in SC, we always had wild boars. Mama pigs can have 6-12 piglets at a time, so the hunters are pretty much overtaken by their limits! DH when he was a youngun was chased by a pack while on his bicycle; they are fast and crafty. He finally ditched the bike and went up into a tree and the pigs stayed at the bottom of the tree for four hours. SC hunters have all sorts of "wild pig stories"! One year, two out-of-state hunters reached their limit and had an extra (illegal) one, so I got 60 lbs of self-butchered pork in the freezer. No matter how many you kill, there's always more in the woods.

My cuz in Phoenix is literally overrun by javalinas. She can't even put out Halloween or Christmas decorations any more; the pigs totally destroy them. She isn't even in the country, but in a suburb - and hunting the javalinas is illegal where she is. Sun City Hilton Head (SC) and the nearby town of Bluffton is now overrun with packs them too - and that area is full of protectionists that don't care how many pigs tear up the nice landscaping or destroy property, they scream like wounded cats if anyone even suggests shooting them. "They're wildlife" - no they're not, they're like a pack of domesticated dogs that went feral. Once the woods started being cut down for the new high-end homes, they decided to take back their habitat.
Wow! Just amazing. From what I saw on that Discovery channel show these wild boars are in a position to multiply like crazy and grow to enormous sizes. Those environmentalists would surely change their minds if one burst through the front door of their home, chewed their face and killed the family dog!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
wow I cannot believe that pic did that guy take him down with an elephant gun ? LOL !!! But seriously I have seen some big ones coming from missouri and have seen some really big ones in NE Georgia where my uncle has a country home and he has such a problem with them digging up his garden constantly and there is really nothing you can do other than shoot them . My uncle said he is basically giving up growing any kind of veggies or flowers they eat it all . LOL !!! They are a problem .
They showed Georgia and Alabama in that program I watched. They are really bad there from what I saw. They don't have any limit on how many you can hunt down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living