U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:27 PM

5,654 posts, read 17,474,880 times

Advertisements

These would be my laws: Chickens fine within city/town limits BUTnly 3-4, kept minimum 100 feet away from someone's yard - NOT 100 feet from their residence! there is a big difference there. (of course if you want to put them right up against your own home, go for it.)

And absolutely NOOOO roosters. You do NOT need roosters to get eggs from chickens.

Chicken coops reek if they are not kept up. And they can also attract vermin: rats and mice, and of course, animals that want to eat the chickens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 05:30 PM

8,083 posts, read 11,896,920 times
I was thinking about a house to buy outside of town in the township and I couldn't even have chicken on an acre unless the sides of its shelter were at least...can't rememver exactly, like 250 ft I think from any other property line.
Really pretty specific. Maybe could have had a horse though.
Seems in Ohio Horses are considered pets and chickens are livestock, different rules, pets vs. livestock. Livestock generally means you have to have 5 acres to sort of "do what you want".
In the Michigan town I asked about having a couple of chickens in 10 years ago I was asked "you mean like pets?" and I said yea sort of and they asked "are you going to keep them inside?" and I said no - and they said then no you can't have them because pets are kept inside. Of course there were no laws you had to keep your dogs inside but that didn't seem to matter.
I'm glad a few more places are allowing it.
Someone who had moved to Australia told me once that almost all houses in their city (not Sydney, can't remember the name) came with a couple of chickens. House bought and sold, the chickens stayed. They were mostly to keep down the bugs.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 PM

380 posts, read 1,013,384 times
Thankfully here in WV unless you are in a city or subdivision you can have chickens, pigs, llamas, cows, etc.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:39 PM

204 posts, read 538,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Reporting from Madison, Wis. -- Jen Lynch and her family live in the heart of the city but roll out of bed to the sound of clucking chickens.

Their day starts with cleaning coops, scooping out feed and hunting for eggs for morning omelets. Eight families in a three-block radius and an estimated 150 families citywide do the same.

Backyard chickens on the rise - Los Angeles Times
Nice article. Did you see the part about the Stealth Coop? You can buy a coop made to look like a trash can, so that neighbors might be less likely to know what you're up to. LOL
I nearly laid an egg when I saw the price: $499. Ouch.

We've had chickens for several years. A regularly cleaned coop with a few hens should fit in nearly anywhere, imo. They're quieter than most other things encountered in an urban/suburban environment. The perception "farm animal" prevents a lot of people from realizing that they can be less of a presense than a dog. I'd never live anywhere I couldn't have both.

But as someone said, it's probably a fad. If Martha Stewart didn't drive the bandwagon she at least hopped on early and helped popularize the notion of backyard chickens.

I love the idea of eating healthy whole foods from sources close to home. And the more I learn, the more insistant I'm am that our meat and eggs are humanely raised. Speech over. <g>

Old 11-20-2009, 01:04 PM

218 posts, read 514,748 times
Well, I read all comments and I don't understand something. In an area where we once lived, it was a suburb on the outskirts of town. A number of us had chickens in our large backyards. Now the reason I believe nobody minded was (1) all had small numbers of chickens that had moveable pens which were kept very clean. There was NEVER any odor. (2) Nobody was fool enough or inconsiderate enough to have roosters. I myself am NOT interested in hearing that racket at the crack of dawn and I would have expected to get a tongue lashing from any neighbor should I have done that. Sweet little hens provided us fun and lots of eggs. Sure, we could not have fertilized ones but you can't have everything.
Because all of us did the above, our neighbors loved our chickens. For one thing, we shared our extras with our neighbors. Also, our neighbors kids and grandkids loved knocking on my back door in the summer asking if they could go see our chickens. It can all work fine, I think, if people are just considerate. By the way, this is not a fad. It is a growing thing as well as people turning their green lawns more "green" and edible.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:19 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,695,186 times
I love backyard poulty. I wished we were allowed to have them in the area where I live. I would have a flock of hens for sure.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:39 PM

204 posts, read 538,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXknitter View Post
By the way, this is not a fad. It is a growing thing as well as people turning their green lawns more "green" and edible.
I really hope that you're right.....that it's not a fad. I'm old enough to have seen other valuable things come and go, and even come back into favor again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living