U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:29 AM

3,199 posts, read 11,628,827 times

Advertisements

Wild chickens, turkeys, mongoose, feral pigs, doves, cardinals, different kinds of finches like saffron and Java, mynah birds, the small Hawaiian hawk, geckos, Jackson chameleons, and other lizards, nearby but not in my yard there are also some pheasants and a little quail like bird and some wild cherry headed conures that fly overhead almost every day on their way back up to the top of Hualalai where they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:12 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,415,203 times
I live in N. Idaho. As far as bug we do not have anything that is a huge problem here. We get mosquitos in the summer which can be worse near standing water. There are small spiders, eawigs, grasshoppers, ladybugs, the usual.

As far as snakes we have garter snakes and rubber boas, both small snakes.

As far as animals, we have lots, mule and white-tail deer, elk, black and grizzly bear, mountain lions, bobcats, moose, some caribou that were transplanted, mountain goats, bighorn sheep, coyote, wolf, raccoon, skunk, chipmunk, squirrel, beaver, bats, wild turkey, grouse, herons, ducks, Canadian geese, songbirds, kingfishers, bald eagles, osprey, hawks, snowshoes rabbits, moles, gophers, voles, ground squirrels, many animals.

As far as fish we have rainbow and brook trout, kokanee, lake trout, whitefish, crappie, perch, pike, bass, kamloops, bulltrout, Chinook, cutthroat, browns, mackinaw, channel catfish, tiger muskie, and bluegill.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:21 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,080,861 times
I've totally enjoyed your posts! Kinda fun to imagine what it might be like where each of you are.

Prunetucky- I'm gonna be on the lookout for those wild horses and goats when I pass through that way again!

Old 06-25-2009, 06:39 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,998,630 times
Fire ants, ticks, gnats, chiggers, mosquitos, black widows, brown recluses, scorpions and these really nasty large orangeish/yellowish hornet/wasp thingies that are real agressive and will chase you and their stings last a month or more etc.

Way way too many coyotes that have run off or killed the small animals like turkey and fox

Snakes galor

field mice and rats as seen when my cat parks them on my back porch oh and ocssional bunnies and birds and a bat one time.

Due to the rain this spring I've had a bumper crop of posion ivy and scuppernog not to mention the blackberrys and other assorted weeds/vines

Here in GA it all stings, bites or gives you a rash

Anyone want to buy 10 acres in NE GA...its for sale please pm me for details

Old 06-30-2009, 10:24 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,952,884 times
Wow, I don't think I could list all the critters here. But some of the common ones are: Coytes (in profusion) jack rabbits, badgers, mountain lions, marmots,muskrats, raccoons, polecats, porcuipines, lots of different raptors,scorpions, many types of spiders some good a couple not so much, tarantula hawks ( VERY large wasp) several different types of lizards( they are our buddies) horned toads (also good friends) , snakes running from harmless bull snakes to the Mojave Green now.....and there is a LOT I'm missing. The desert is far from lifeless.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:40 PM

5,434 posts, read 10,045,820 times
Possums, squirrels, anoles (type of cute little lizard), box turtles, black racer snakes, garter snakes, saw a pygmy rattlesnake only once, rabbits, a wide variety of land and water birds, my favorites are the Cardinals and the pair of shy Brown Thrashers that nest in our hedgerow...and the Ibis that look so exotic, and lots of different bugs, the largest being the Palmetto bug...my least favorite critter...

Old 08-26-2009, 02:14 AM

2,178 posts, read 4,901,852 times
When I lived in Murrieta, CA... we had coyotes that came into the meadow behind our house to catch neighborhood cats & the meadow rabbits. I heard there could be mountain lions on the Santa Rosa Plateau which I also imagined coming into the backyard - never happened but I have a wild imagination.

Here in Eugene, Oregon, we have wild turkeys, skunks, possums, raccoons, deer (a doe & her tiny fawns sleep in our side yard!), hawks, owls & I swear there were wild pigs here on 2 different nights! In the city! We have something really ugly here: nutria. Haven't seen a snake in a long time.

We have all kinds of flora but I don't know the names of all of them. I went to a plant show at Alton Baker Park & there was a vendor there selling wild flowers & what we'd call fancy weeds as "specimens" & I know I've seen a few of them sprout up in my yard...

We have some kind of cicada but it doesn't get roaring loud like high desert cicadas do. It's a softer buzz. Then we have the average stuff. Haven't seen any notable bugs. The garden spiders seem to be a smaller & later population this year. I"ve only seen 2 butterflies since spring.

The neighborhood fruit trees don't seem to be putting out anything tasty this year. The blackberries are finally at their PEAK!!!! My raspberry canes that I got off of craigslist gave me my first raspberry this week!

Kate

Old 09-05-2009, 03:21 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,148,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Walked out yesterday to get the newspaper and mail (it's about 2 miles down a gravel road) and ran across a cougar, sitting in the middle of the road, eating his bunny breakfast. I know we have a bobcat female and her two kits, but it's the first time I've ever seen the cougar. Heard rumors that he was here, but I'd never actually seen him - and we have a lot of summer people that I wasn't sure I trusted to ID a cougar from a bobcat.

Other than the cougar and the bobcat - deer, the occasional group of elk (migratory), the occasional lost antelope, coyote, allegedly foxes (I've never seen one), raccoons, porcupines, badger, jackrabbits, rabbits, skunks, various "ground rodents," bald eagles, golden eagles, osprey, various hawks, pelicans, egrets, cranes, herons, ducks, geese... we overlook a huge lake on the North America flyway and refuge, so pretty much any bird that migrates up and down the west coast we see here.

We have some early morning/evening mosquitoes when it's calm and for about a month in summer we get these little iridescent green midges which are irritating because they fly around in big swarms (they look like the genie coming out of the lamp in a big column) - they're hatched without mouths, so they don't eat or bite, but they mean you can't sit outside in early evening until the hatch finally ends. The other trick is to put up a fan on the deck because they only like still air.

Plant-wise, I have a whole bunch of the wild Klamath plum (cross between a shrub and a tree, grows to about 20' high and as wide across) on my property which puts out a small tart plum that makes great jam. Right now all the native lupine and iris are in bloom, and they are lovely. Otherwise we have Ponderosa pine, aspen, chokecherry, manzanita, huckleberry, bitterbrush (smells like cloves when it's in bloom with tiny rows of yellow blossoms), sage, green and silver rabbit brush and various wild grasses. Down by the lake and river, marsh grass, reeds, cattails. About 2-3 miles west it starts to get drier and the juniper is common, but it's not right here.
aw, you're so lucky (except for the mosquitoes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living