U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 11:01 AM

740 posts, read 1,670,844 times

Advertisements

Lighten up!
My friends father died from this, as did a 13 year old down the street from us. Luckily the other 4 kids that were with him stopped. But they will have to live with that image forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 12:59 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Oh, lighten up.
Excuse me???? I really don't think murdering an innocent person is something to lighten up about. Good grief. You should sit back and think about what you wrote. Maybe you don't live in a rural area? This type of thing happens more than you'd realize and really, once is more than enough!!!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:05 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,366,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Another simple question...anyone on here ever had issues or horror stories with ATV's? We use ours all the time but, in the wrong hands they can be a real pain to deal with.
In the wrong hands is the key to that sentence! We have 5 people that live up our dirt road. We all have ATV's and all have permission to go through each other's property. The difference is that we have respect for the land and landowners and don't ride like maniacs! No problems here! It is too bad that many people out there don't seem to understand how that works.

Our tresspassing issue here is with hunters. Nothing against hunting (dh hunts), but they don't even live here, don't ask if they can hunt on your property, and they have been known to shoot dangerously close to the house, then act like they had no idea.There are more of them every year, because someone bags an elk, then tells their friends, and the story goes.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times
Marmac...you are indeed right, that law has certain limitations for sure and stretching an unmarked cable across a roadway would be an example of that. What I meant of course was that as long as you are within reason, allowing an ATV trail or Snowmobile Trail on your land means you won't get sued if some sled hits a tree at 90 mph.

As for MistyRiver...I know her from a different forum and she is a stand up lady. She was indeed joking and makes where we live Coastal Maine, look like you and I live in Manhatten...she is extremely rural and has an incredible cabin and flock of sheep to back that up. She's legit!

Unfortunately this family has had a fatal accident with ATV's too. A family member was spreading gravel on this back dirt road. He had the body up, the tailgate chained and was spreading it out along the road. Two brothers came up from behind on ATV's. Since the truck was in a cut, the boys decided to ride up on the bank on the passengers side of the truck. The first boy made it, but the 10 year old rolled his ATV and landed just in front of the rear tires.

10 year old kids and 60,000 pound trucks do not fare very well and he was killed instantly. The truck driver was not held accountable, but its still hard to live with.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 AM

4,997 posts, read 6,803,893 times
Thanks BrokenTap.

To FXTrader and CoastalMaine: I made it very clear that I was kidding. If you want to be that easily offended...have at it.
I have a good friend who's husband just committed suicide last month. I'm sure if I wanted to, I could take offense every time someone mentions anything about "killing themselves" working in the garden, etc.
I don't. Life is way too short to get all up in arms about every little thing someone says...especially when it's clear it was a joke, however unamusing you may find it.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:58 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Thanks BrokenTap.

To FXTrader and CoastalMaine: I made it very clear that I was kidding. If you want to be that easily offended...have at it.
I have a good friend who's husband just committed suicide last month. I'm sure if I wanted to, I could take offense every time someone mentions anything about "killing themselves" working in the garden, etc.
I don't. Life is way too short to get all up in arms about every little thing someone says...especially when it's clear it was a joke, however unamusing you may find it.
My mom committed suicide. I don't find that anything to joke about either, but thanks for the analogy. I just don't think on an open forum, posting the idea of putting up a wire to decapitate unsuspecting people is a great choice. You seem to. To each their own. I bet we voted opposite for presidents too. lol

Old 07-01-2009, 01:23 PM

4,997 posts, read 6,803,893 times
Dunno. As a libertarian, I voted for Ron Paul.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:48 PM

3,857 posts, read 5,383,314 times
ATVs are driven on residential streets here, and the state police have admitted there is nothing they can do, (my tax dollars at work). We've contacted our legislature to enact some tougher laws regarding penalties, not only for the riders, but their parents. Also, we'd like to see a way that they must be registered and have insurance.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:14 PM

65 posts, read 315,411 times
Since our place is fenced, we do not have any ATV crossing over it, BUT it never ceases to amaze me all the idiots, young and old that 4 Wheel down our paved county road at 30-50 miles per hour, no helmet and sometimes with little children on the seat in front of them.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:21 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,366,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowhorse53 View Post
Since our place is fenced, we do not have any ATV crossing over it, BUT it never ceases to amaze me all the idiots, young and old that 4 Wheel down our paved county road at 30-50 miles per hour, no helmet and sometimes with little children on the seat in front of them.
It is amazing, because those idiots are the ones that ruin things for all of us people that have brains!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living