U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:18 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,884,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Just one more thing, I really have mixed feelings about the fact that the "punk" is going to serve time. I guess maybe I wanted someone to care about what happened to my son more than I wanted him to pay."

Pretty normal feelings for a mom. From the tone of the first post, and the wanting to make the punk "pay," I thought you were the dad. You raise some interesting new info. That 24 YO is legally culpable for his actions in bringing vodka and allowing minors to drink, as is the owner of the property. There is a BIG difference from an 18 YO punk and a 17 YO fighting, to a 24 YO bringing liquor and egging on the situation.

I would bring this up to the state's attorney, and I would also file civil suit against the 24 YO for the medical bills. I still think a martial arts program is in your son's best interest. Kids of this age break with their parents and have to live off their own wits. A course in such training would help him immensely.

You all learned a hard lesson. Sounds like you are actually learning from it now, rather than wasting time on revenge. Thats a plus in my book.
Getting money from the 24 year old is a long shot. The property owner where the injuries happen is a sure thing. If they have no insurance you can file liens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 01:41 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
The difference between an 18 year old punk and a 17 year old fighting is that one is considered a legal adult and one is not.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:44 AM

18,543 posts, read 55,469,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The difference between an 18 year old punk and a 17 year old fighting is that one is considered a legal adult and one is not.
Opinion - a good attorney could get the 18 YO off or a very light sentence. He just has to point out that the kid wasn't of legal drinking age and was supplied by an adult who coerced his actions. Yet another reason why the 21 drinking age and 18 age of majority is stupid (as well as being totally illegal discrimination that has been dutifully ignored by the Supreme Court).

I agree the property owner likely will have the deeper pockets than that 24 YO, but I'd still go for that one as the primary, and property owner as the secondary.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Opinion - a good attorney could get the 18 YO off or a very light sentence. He just has to point out that the kid wasn't of legal drinking age and was supplied by an adult who coerced his actions. Yet another reason why the 21 drinking age and 18 age of majority is stupid (as well as being totally illegal discrimination that has been dutifully ignored by the Supreme Court).

I agree the property owner likely will have the deeper pockets than that 24 YO, but I'd still go for that one as the primary, and property owner as the secondary.
Just remain mindful there will only be two years to file. Document daily, keep all records.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:47 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,659,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am not going into the whole thing but, this is basics. A nationally known soft drink company truck, being driven by a drunk driver. Not disclosing the details was part of the settlement.
No excuse for drinking and driving, She deserved that and more, Sounds like you invested in a succsesfull business, Congratulations,,,

Old 07-13-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
No excuse for drinking and driving, She deserved that and more, Sounds like you invested in a succsesfull business, Congratulations,,,
Thank you!!!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:08 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
apples to oranges, Driller1

In previous posts you were gloating about winning a lawsuit from the --property owner

Winning a lawsuit cuz the --employee--of a company was driving drunk is quite a bit different .

Old 07-13-2009, 01:09 PM

12,717 posts, read 18,846,815 times
A lot of BS on certain posts in this thread, you have to "drill" down to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
my parents always taught me if someone messes with me to take a bat to em and beat the crap out of em, If I didnt hit em back then I get hit when I get home and there were a few kids who learned their lessons.
But anyways , fist fights are one thing - "taking a bat to em" changes a fist fight, likely without police involvement, to attempted murder with police investigation and DA action that will have you in handcuffs.

You use a weapon and you are changing the whole complexity and seriousness of the action. And a bat is indeed a weapon that, from a legal standpoint, is not much different from a firearm. Fists to bats - that's the difference between no crime to a felony with long term prison time. And it doesn't matter who started the fight or the reason for the fight.

Last edited by Dd714; 07-13-2009 at 01:18 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
This part of Dumber walked out of a court room with 1.5 million AFTER the attorneys and all costs were paid.
Where does this say from a property owner???

Old 07-21-2009, 12:18 AM

2,043 posts, read 1,533,458 times
I don't understand how so many posters on here reacted to the mother as if she did something wrong or her son did something wrong! Geesh! This was not a fight; it was a beating. If that had been my son who got a broken jaw, that "punk" would not have been safe afterwards. And I'm not a braggadocio or a hot-headed imbecile, but I believe in righting wrongs when the wrongs are flagrant wrongs. Sometimes mean, arrogant, violent people need to be dealt with in rather primitive, vengeful ways.....That's just the way I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living