U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:18 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,807,008 times

Advertisements

Ok I used Teens to Unload trucks durring Harvest.thing is they had to be at least 16 to run any equipment including Sewing Machine to sew Bags shut.All they could do was Shovel Grain and Stack Sacks of Grain.

Had couple Illegals come up there I run them off.This was in '93 I paid my help $6 an hour with Full Benifits.

To answer your question no Food prices would not go up.But field help would make minimum wages with long hours.Years ago we would contract out to Clean (Chop) Cotton Fields,$1 an hour 10 hour days.But we managed to live on it.

hillman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 01:43 PM

84 posts, read 363,161 times
Remember the farming end of the food chain is not the only area where illegals are hired in droves. The processing plants, especially meat processing has a lot of immigrants, legal and illegal working there. The prices of meat would go up regardless of what the wages are for Americans that take those jobs. The plant operators will say their cheap workers are gone, even if they pay the new folks the same wages. If Obama's health plan goes through, I think you'll see even more illegals replace Americans in all kind of jobs, because the business owners will not have to pay for their helath insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living