U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 02:04 PM

12,916 posts, read 15,770,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Does your small town still use an air horn or other loud alarm to announce a fire in the town? Or have we all gone to cell phones and beepers?
A loooong very mournful, and very loud siren....all the dogs in the area cry every time it goes off.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 08:58 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,627,957 times
Our town has a siren that sounds at noon but another town we lived in had a siren that went off at 8:58 PM to signal cerfew for the kids. Neither bothered me but I have always enjoyed noise like trains, foghorns, church bells etc.
Babys crying drives me nutz though !

Old 09-25-2012, 01:05 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,267,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Does your small town still use an air horn or other loud alarm to announce a fire in the town? Or have we all gone to cell phones and beepers?
That is going to vary state to state, and I don't know if the requirements have changed as I have been out of the fire service for 3 years now.

When I joined the fire service, we had a siren on the firehouse that could be heard for several miles. Technology was just advancing where many firefighters had home monitors, and most were made by Plectron company. Next advance was the "Minitor" a pager that could be worn on the belt and set off from central dispatch or from the individual station.

Until as recently as 5 years ago, I believe that every volunteer fire station (at least in NC) still had to have a siren, or air horns that could be manually set off to cover worst case situations, where central dispatch was incapable, power was out, etc. I actually had to demonstrate it worked to the state inspector one year during my departments annual rating examination.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:31 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,359,322 times
I've read this entire thread and have to say this....

For an advanced country, the USA still has some really backward ways of doing things.

Wouldn't it be a quicker response time , if the Vounteer Fire Fighters went directly to the fire scene, with their individual personal equipment, which they carry in their own vehicles ? One or two are the "dedicated drivers " for the trucks. Seems a waste of time to go to the fire hall, first , then go to the fire location ?

Why not use the text messaging system that most mobile phones have, to send an alert and the "location " of the fire, or emergency ?

A siren, or horn is a dumb device, that cannot match a cell phone tree, or even a text message system, for speed and informational complexity.

I understand that many VFD are low budget operations, but surely a better way than a siren, mounted on the fire hall roof, can be found, in America, in the 21st century ?

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 PM

96 posts, read 148,248 times
We have a siren in our town and it works very efficiently. We have limited resources and a volunteer fire department. I don't think it's an "inefficient" system at all. It has worked for 100 years and continues to work even when the power is out and in areas where cell phone coverage is not good. Don't be so judgemental canadian citizen! Have you ever even lived in the US?

Old 09-26-2012, 07:51 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,359,322 times
casey;

Have I ever lived in the usa? No, have you ever lived in Canada ?

Having got that canard out of the way............

My point was that it is so last century to rely on a signal that cannot convey any actual information to the responding volunteers.

Jim B.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,433,430 times
it doesn't need to convey information...
The only information it conveys is "Come to the fire barn and get the trucks!!"

Old 09-30-2012, 07:36 PM

25,876 posts, read 32,437,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I've read this entire thread and have to say this....

For an advanced country, the USA still has some really backward ways of doing things.

Wouldn't it be a quicker response time , if the Vounteer Fire Fighters went directly to the fire scene, with their individual personal equipment, which they carry in their own vehicles ? One or two are the "dedicated drivers " for the trucks. Seems a waste of time to go to the fire hall, first , then go to the fire location ?

Why not use the text messaging system that most mobile phones have, to send an alert and the "location " of the fire, or emergency ?

A siren, or horn is a dumb device, that cannot match a cell phone tree, or even a text message system, for speed and informational complexity.

I understand that many VFD are low budget operations, but surely a better way than a siren, mounted on the fire hall roof, can be found, in America, in the 21st century ?

Jim B

Toronto.
As a firefighter, no I don't want to drive around with a fire truck all day. Yes I carry my personal protective gear and EMT "jump kit."

The fire trucks we run carry many feet of hose, nozzles, water, vent fans, tools to effect entry. I don't want to drive my personal vehicle to a fire and clutter up the scene. I want a truck there that can do whatever I need to do to stop the fire or start treatment on a patient to make transport quicker or for protection of property.

Yes many area use text based messages for paging. That sort of thing is expensive and not always reliable. I carry a pager that give what the nature of the call is, where it is and other information.

You want to always have a backup. The desire is for fail safe, not always gee whiz may or may not work technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living